Disclosure: The authors declared no conflict of interest.
Supermarket discounts of low-energy density foods: Effects on purchasing, food intake, and body weight
Article first published online: 5 JUL 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 21, Issue 12, pages E542–E548, December 2013
How to Cite
Geliebter, A., Ang, I. H., Bernales-Korins, M., Hernandez, D., Ochner, C. N., Ungredda, T., Miller, R. and Kolbe, L. (2013), Supermarket discounts of low-energy density foods: Effects on purchasing, food intake, and body weight. Obesity, 21: E542–E548. doi: 10.1002/oby.20484
Funding agencies: This study was funded by a seed grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Columbia University Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy (ISERP).
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUL 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 APR 2013 01:07PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUN 2012
- 1Obesity and overweight: What are overweight and obesity. Fact sheet N°311. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2006..
- 5Behavioral treatment of obesity: New approaches to an old disorder. In: Goldstein D (ed.). The Management of Eating Disorders. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press; 1999:173-199., .
- 8Socioeconomic disparities in eligibility and access to bariatric surgery: a national population-based analysis. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2010;6:8-15., , , et al.
- 9The environment and obesity. In: Fairburn CG, Brownell KD (ed.). Eating Disorders and Obesity: A Comprehensive Handbook. New York, NY: Guilford Press; 2002. p 433-438..
- 13Weighing the Options: Criteria for Evaluating Weight Management Programs. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1995..
- 14Three-year follow-up of Pawtucket Heart Health's community-based weight loss programs. Am J Health Promot 1993;7:182-187., , , et al.
- 19Three-year follow-up of Pawtucket Heart Health's community-based weight loss programs. Am J Health Promot 1993;7:182-187., , , et al.
- 24Dietary energy density and weight regulation. Nutr Rev 2001;59:192-199..
- 32Bureau USC. Census 2000 Summary File 3, 2000. Accessed Sep 8, 2011, from http://www.census.gov/census2000/sumfile3.html.
- 33Measuring intake of fruit and vegetables. Background paper for the Joint FAO/WHO Workshop on Fruit and Vegetables for Health, 1-3 September 2004, Kobe, Japan..
- 34Effectiveness of interventions and programmes promoting fruit and vegetable intake. Background paper for the Joint FAO/WHO Workshop on Fruit and Vegetables for Health, 1–3 September 2004, Kobe, Japan., , , et al.
- 35Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. New York: Academic Press; 1977..
- 37WHO. Global strategy on diet, physical activity and health. Promoting fruit and vegetable consumption around the World. 2006. www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/fruit/en/index.html, accessed Feb 2013.