Fundig agencies: This project was funded by Canadian Institutes of Health Research (MOP 115076). MRB is supported by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and Alberta Innovates Health Solutions (AIHS). DCS is supported by AIHS and a CIHR Training Program Fellowship from Alberta Children's Hospital Research Institute for Child and Maternal Health. DTR is supported by an NSERC scholarship. HAP is supported by AIHS and NSERC.
Combined effects of oligofructose and Bifidobacterium animalis on gut microbiota and glycemia in obese rats
Version of Record online: 16 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 763–771, March 2014
How to Cite
Bomhof, M. R., Saha, D. C., Reid, D. T., Paul, H. A. and Reimer, R. A. (2014), Combined effects of oligofructose and Bifidobacterium animalis on gut microbiota and glycemia in obese rats. Obesity, 22: 763–771. doi: 10.1002/oby.20632
Disclosure: MR Bomhof, DC Saha, DT Reid, and HA Paul declare no conflict interest. RA Reimer previously held a research grant from Beneo-Orafti Inc., manufacturer of Raftilose P95, for a project unrelated to the current work.
Author Contributions: MRB carried out experiments, collected data, analyzed data, generated figures, and wrote paper. DCS, DTR, and HAP carried out experiments. RAR designed research, analyzed data, wrote paper, and had primary responsibility for final content. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
- Issue online: 5 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 16 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 OCT 2013 06:04AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAR 2013
- 9Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation on Evaluation of Health and Nutritional Properties of Probiotics in Food Including Powder Milk with Live Lactic Acid Bacteria. Health and nutritional properties of probiotics in food including powder milk with live lactic acid bacteria. 2001.
- 17Effect on components of the intestinal microflora and plasma neuropeptide levels of feeding lactobacillus delbrueckii, bifidobacterium lactis, and inulin to adult and elderly rats. Appl Environ Microbiol 2006;72:6533-6538. doi: 10.1128/AEM.00915-06., , , , , .
- 25Fidaxomicin preserves the intestinal microbiome during and after treatment of clostridium difficile infection (CDI) and reduces both toxin reexpression and recurrence of CDI. Clin Infect Dis 2012;55(Suppl 2):S132-S142. doi: 10.1093/cid/cis338; 10.1093/cid/cis338., , , et al.
- 40Role of inflammatory mechanisms in pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Cell Biochem 2012. doi: 10.1002/jcb.24402; 10.1002/jcb.24402., , .