A list of study authors is shown in the appendix. Clinical sites and personnel are shown in the online version of the article.
Eight-year weight losses with an intensive lifestyle intervention: The look AHEAD study
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2014
Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 5–13, January 2014
How to Cite
The Look AHEAD Research Group (2014), Eight-year weight losses with an intensive lifestyle intervention: The look AHEAD study. Obesity, 22: 5–13. doi: 10.1002/oby.20662
Trial Registration: clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00017953
Funding agencies: Department of Health and Human Services through the following cooperative agreements from the National Institutes of Health: DK57136, DK57149, DK56990, DK57177, DK57171, DK57151, DK57182, DK57131, DK57002, DK57078, DK57154, DK57178, DK57219, DK57008, DK57135, and DK56992. The following federal agencies have contributed support: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institute of Nursing Research; National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities; NIH Office of Research on Women's Health; and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This research was supported in part by the Intramural Research Program of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. The Indian Health Service (I.H.S.) provided personnel, medical oversight, and use of facilities. The opinions expressed in this paper are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the I.H.S. or other funding sources. Additional support was received from The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions Bayview General Clinical Research Center (M01RR02719); the Massachusetts General Hospital Mallinckrodt General Clinical Research Center and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology General Clinical Research Center (M01RR01066); the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center General Clinical Research Center (M01RR00051) and Clinical Nutrition Research Unit (P30 DK48520); the University of Tennessee at Memphis General Clinical Research Center (M01RR0021140); the University of Pittsburgh General Clinical Research Center (GCRC) (M01RR000056), the Clinical Translational Research Center (CTRC) funded by the Clinical & Translational Science Award (UL1 RR 024153) and NIH grant (DK 046204); the VA Puget Sound Health Care System Medical Research Service, Department of Veterans Affairs; and the Frederic C. Bartter General Clinical Research Center (M01RR01346). Some of the information contained herein was derived from data provided by the Bureau of Vital Statistics, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Disclosure: Author disclosures are provided in Supplementary Online Appendix II.
Author Contributions: Study concept and design: All authors. Acquisition of data: All authors. Analysis and interpretation of data: MPW, TAW, ESH JMJ, WCK, FXP, DSW, RRW, and SZY. Drafting of the manuscript: TAW, ESH, JMJ, WCK, FXP, MPW, DSW, RRW, and SZY. Critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content: All authors. Statistical analysis: MPW.
- Issue online: 11 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 NOV 2013 04:12AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 OCT 2013
- 7National Institutes of Health/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults. Obes Res 1998;6:51S-210S.
- 8Institute of Medicine. Weighing the Options: Criteria for Evaluating Weight Management Programs. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1995.
- 9World Health Organization. Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Geneva, Switzerland: Author; 1998.
- 25Obesity treatment in minorities. In: Wadden TA, Stunkard AJ (eds). Handbook of Obesity Treatment. New York, Guilford Press; 2002, pp 416-446..
- 40American Society for Nutrition; NAASO, The Obesity Society. Obesity in older adults: technical review and position statement of the American Society for Nutrition and NAASO, The Obesity Society. Obes Res 2005;13:1849-1863., , , ;