Bilas is the Melanesian pidgin word for decoration or adornment, often used for traditional finery worn at a traditional dance. The Enga Take Anda (pronounced taakay anda) means ‘house of traditional wisdom’. The Centre is also called the Tradition and Transition Centre. Note that the author has updated the original speech for publication.
Beyond Bilas: The Enga Take Anda†
Association for Social Anthropology in Oceania 2012 Distinguished Lecture
Article first published online: 20 OCT 2013
© 2013 Oceania Publications
Volume 83, Issue 3, pages 265–280, November 2013
How to Cite
Wiessner, P. and Tumu, A. (2013), Beyond Bilas: The Enga Take Anda. Oceania, 83: 265–280. doi: 10.1002/ocea.5031
- Issue published online: 4 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 20 OCT 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions and you will be able to log in to access content. Some users may also log in directly via OpenAthens.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!