Are they really so different? Climate change rule development in the USA and UK
Article first published online: 14 APR 2014
Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Public Affairs
Volume 15, Issue 1, pages 79–90, February 2015
How to Cite
2015), Are they really so different? Climate change rule development in the USA and UK, J. Public Affairs, 15, pages 79–90, doi: 10.1002/pa.1512and (
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2015
- Article first published online: 14 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 27 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2013
- Administrative Procedures Act of 1946, 5 USC § 553. 2010.
- 2007. Market environmentalism, new environmental policy instruments, and climate policy in the United Kingdom and Germany. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 97(3): 530–550. .
- 2011. What happened to the conservatives' green agenda? The Guardian, viewed 30 April 2012, http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oct/06/david-cameron-green-agenda-fades , .
- 2013. Explaining Radical Policy Change: The Case of Climate Change and Energy Policy under the British Labour Government 2006–10, pre-release in Public Administration. , .
- 2003. Is satisfaction success? Evaluating public participation in regulatory policymaking. In The Promise and Performance of Environmental Conflict Resolution, O'Leary R, Bingham L (eds). Resources for the Future Press: Washington DC; 69–86. .
- 2013a. The EPA regulates GHG emissions: is anyone paying attention? Review of Policy Research 30(3): 263–280. , .
- 2013b. A revised look: EPA rulemaking processes. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences 3(3): 279–289. , .
- 1969. Discretionary Justice: A Preliminary Inquiry. University of Illinois Press: Urbana. .
- 2010. Shareholders' requirements for corporate environmental disclosures: a cross country comparison. The British Accounting Review 42(4): 227–240. , .
- Department for Business, Enterprise, and Regulatory Reform, (BERR). 2008. Code of practice on consultation, viewed, http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file47158.pdf [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). 2010. What we do, viewed, http://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-environment-food-rural-affairs/about#what-we-do [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). 2011. Impact assessment, viewed, http://www.Defra.gov.uk/consult/files/110511-ghg-emissions-ia1.pdf [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). 2012a. Company reporting of greenhouse gas emissions, viewed, http://www.Defra.gov.uk/publications/2012/03/27/pb13718-company-reporting-ghg-emissions/ [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). 2012b. About us, viewed, http://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-environment-food-rural-affairs/about [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). 2012c. Leading businesses to disclose greenhouse gas emissions, viewed, http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2012/06/20/greenhouse-gas-reporting/ [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Department of Energy and Climate Change. 2013. Reducing the UK's greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050, viewed, https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/reducing-the-uk-s-greenhouse-gas-emissions-by-80-by-2050#background [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Directgov. 2012. The Government, Prime Minister and Cabinet, viewed, http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/UKgovernment/Centralgovernmentandthemonarchy/DG_073444 [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- 2013. The Politics of Earth (3rd ed). Oxford University Press: Oxford. .
- 2006. Contemporary Regulatory Policy. Lynne Rienner Publishers: London. , , .
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). 1992. The guardian: origins of the EPA, viewed, http://www2.epa.gov/aboutepa/guardian-origins-epa [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). 2008. An in-depth look at the United Kingdom integrated permitting system exploring global environmental protection perspectives, viewed, http://www.epa.gov/environmentalinnovation/integrated/pdf/IntPermittingRpt.pdf [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). 2012b. Greenhouse gas reporting program, viewed 30 April 2012, http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/emissions/ghgrulemaking.html
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). 2013. Regulatory actions, viewed, http://www2.epa.gov/carbon-pollution-standards [accessed on 21 March 2014].
- 1982. Legislative choice of regulatory forms: legal process or administrative process, Public Choice, 39. .
- 2006. The New Environmental Regulation. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 2009. Regulating for the future: a new approach for environmental governance. In Toward Sustainable Communities: Transition and Transformations in Environmental Policy, Mazmanian DA, Kraft ME (eds). MIT Press: Cambridge, MA; 63–86. .
- 2012. Environmental bureaucracies: the Environmental Protection Agency chapter. In Oxford Handbook of U.S. Environmental Policy, Kraft ME, Kamieniecki S (eds). Oxford University Press: Oxford, NY; 329–354. .
- 1995. Reinventing Regulatory Development at the Environmental Protection Agency. Policy Studies Journal 466–482, Retrieved from Wiley Online Library. .
- 2013. The promise and performance of collaborative governance. In The Oxford Handbook of U.S. Environmental Policy, Kamieniecki S, Kraft M (eds). Oxford University Press: Oxford; 413–434. , , .
- 2007. Case Study Research: Principles and Practice. Cambridge University Press: New York. .
- 1997. The Road to Nowhere: The Genesis of President Clinton's Plan for Health Care Security. Princeton University Press: Princeton, NJ. .
- 2009. Both energy groups and environmentalists have legal objections to GHG reporting rule, Electric Utility Week, 5. .
- 2013. Global Commons, Domestic Decisions the Comparative Politics of Climate Change. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. , .
- 2009. The UK Climate Change Act 2008—Lessons for national climate laws an independent review by Client Earth, viewed, http://www.clientearth.org/reports/climate-and-energy-lessons-from-the-climate-change-act.pdf [accessed on 21 March 2014]. .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II, III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2006. The Sage Dictionary of Social Research Methods. Sage Publications Ltd.: Los Angeles. .
- 2011. Rulemaking How Government Agencies Write Law and Make Policy. CQ Press: Washington DC; 49–180. , .
- 2013. American Environmental Policy: Beyond Gridlock (American and Comparative Environmental Policy). MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. , .
- Mandatory Reporting of Greenhouse Gases; Final Rule 74 Fed. Reg. 5260. 2009. (to be codified at 40 CFR pt. 86, 87, 89 et al.)
- Massachusetts et al. v. EPA et al. 549 US 2, 5 2007.
- 2003. Public Management Reform and Administrative Law in Local Public Service in the UK. International Review of Administrative Sciences 69(1): 69–82. .
- 1991. The Internal Structure of EPA Rulemaking. Law and Contemporary Problems 54: 57–111, viewed, http://www.jstor.org/stable/1191874 [accessed on 21 March 2014]. .
- 1994. The Institutional Foundations of Democratic Government: A Comparison of Presidential and Parliamentary Systems. Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics 150(1): 171–195. , .
- 2010. Accountability as a Bureaucratic Minefield: Lessons from a Comparative Study. Western European Politics 33(5): 1010–1029. .
- 1990. Qualitative Evaluation and Research Methods (2nd ed., 176). Sage Publications: London. .
- 2007, Jan 14. Connecting the global warming dots, New York Times, 2, Lexis Nexis Academic. .
- 2009, Jan 23. Environmental issues slide in poll of public's concerns, New York Times, Academic Search Complete. .
- 2011. Frames of Influence: U.S. Environmental Rulemaking Case Studies. Review of Policy Research 28(3): 231–245. .
- 2014. Inside the EPA's Rulemaking Process: The Reality of Reg Neg Lite. Environmental Policy and Governance forthcoming. DOI:10.1002/eet.1641 , .
- 2012. Defining environmental rulemaking. In Oxford Handbook of U.S. Environmental Policy, Kraft ME, Kamieniecki S (eds). Oxford University Press: New York; 372–393. , .
- 2011. Environmental Politics and Policy (8th ed). CQ Press: Washington DC. .
- 2007, Feb 3. Science panel says global warming is unequivocal, New York Times, 1, LexisNexis Academic. , .
- 2013. The “S” factors lessons from IFG's policy success reunions, Report produced by the Institute of Government, viewed, http://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/The%20S%20Factors.pdf [accessed on 21 March 2014]. , , .
- 2010. European union leadership in climate change. In Global Commons, Domestic Decisions The Comparative Politics of Climate Change, Harrison K, McIntosh Sundstrum L (eds). MIT Press: Cambridge, MA; 23–66. , .
- 2013. Global climate change Kyoto and beyond. In Environmental Policy, Kraft M, Vig N (eds). CQ Press: Washington DC; 279–298. , .
- 2012. Comparative Environmental Politics Theory, Practice, and Prospects. MIT Press: Cambridge, MASS. , .
- 2006. The Stern review report on economics of climate change, London, Office of Climate Change, viewed, http://www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/30_10_06_exec_sum.pdf [accessed on 21 March 2014]. .
- Vig N, Kraft M (Eds.). 2013. Environmental Policy: New Directions for the Twenty-first Century (8th ed). CQ Press: Washington DC.
- 1986. National Styles of Regulation Environmental Policy in Great Britain and the United States. Cornell University Press: Ithaca. .
- 2011. Organised Chaos: An Interpretive Approach to Evidence-Based Policy Making in Defra. Political Studies 59: 959–977. .
- 2001. Institutional Cultures and the Management of Global Environmental Risks in the United Kingdom. Learning to Manage Global Environmental Risks 1: 93–114. , , , , .
- 2012. The Politics of Ex Parte Lobbying: Pre-proposal Agenda Building and Blocking during Agency Rulemaking. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 22(2): 373–393. .
- 2003. Case Study Research Design and Methods (4). Sage Publications: Washington DC. .