PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION REFORM IN POST-CONFLICT SOCIETIES: LESSONS FROM ACEH, INDONESIA
Article first published online: 8 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Public Administration and Development
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 1–14, February 2013
How to Cite
Hillman, B. (2013), PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION REFORM IN POST-CONFLICT SOCIETIES: LESSONS FROM ACEH, INDONESIA. Public Admin. Dev., 33: 1–14. doi: 10.1002/pad.1643
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 8 NOV 2012
- 2009. Combatants to Contractors: The Political Economy of Peace in Aceh. Indonesia, vol. 87, pp. 1–34. .
- 2002. Rebuilding the Civil Service in a Postconflict Setting: Key Issues and Lessons of Experience. CPR Dissemination Notes 1 (Washington DC: Conflict Prevention and Reconstruction Unit, World Bank, 2002), cited in Dennis A. Rondinelli, “Reforming Public Administration in Postconflict Societies”.
- 2009. Rebuilding and reforming civil services in post-conflict societies. In Brinkerhoff D (ed). Governance in Post-Conflict Societies. Routledge: Oxford; 161–184. .
- 2012. Patronage's progress in post-Soeharto Indonesia. Public Administration and Development 32: 64–81. , , .
- 2011. Working with the grain and swimming against the tide: barriers to uptake of research findings on governance and public services in low-income Africa. Working Paper 18, London: Africa Power and Politics Programme. .
- 2011. Developmental patrimonialism? The case of Rwanda. Working Paper 16, London: Africa Power and Politics Programme. , .
- 2010. Developing capacity in fragile states. Public Administration and Development 3: 66–78. .
- 2008. Peacebuilding and rebuilding at ground level: practical constraints and policy objectives in Aceh. Conflict, Security and Development 8(1 April): 47–69. .
- 2011. Ten Years of Fragile States: What Have We Learned? Brookings Institution: Washington D.C.. .
- 2009. Wars, Guns and Votes: Democracy in Dangerous Places. Harper Collins: New York. .
- DRSP. 2006. Stock taking on Indonesia's Recent Decentralization Reforms. Jakarta, USAID Democratic Reform Support Program.
- 2010. Fragile states: beyond quick wins. Policy Brief. London: Overseas Development Institute. , , , .
- 2004. State-Building: Governance and World Order in the Twenty-First Century. Profile Books: London. .
- 2010. Factions and spoils: examining local state behavior in China. The China Journal 62: 1–18. .
- 2011. Policymaking dimension of post-conflict governance: the experience of Aceh, Indonesia. Conflict, Security and Development 11(5): 533–553. .
- 2012a. Ethnic politics and local political parties in Indonesia. Asian Ethnicity 13(4): 1–21. .
- 2012b. Power sharing and political party engineering in conflict-prone societies: the Indonesian experiment in Aceh. Conflict, Security and Development 12(2): 149–169. .
- 2010. The Asian Tsunami: Aid and Reconstruction after a Disaster. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton MA USA, Edward Elgar and Asian Development Bank Institute. , .
- 2006. Local leadership and the Aceh conflict. In Reid A (ed.) Verandah of Violence: The Background to the Aceh Problem. Singapore University Press: Singapore. .
- 2011. Fragile States: Causes, Costs, and Responses. Oxford University Press: Oxford. , , .
- 2009. Introduction: understanding the contradictions of post-war statebuilding. In Paris R, Sisk T (eds). The Dilemmas of Statebuilding: Confronting the Contradictions of Postwar Peace Operations. Routledge: London and New York; 1–20. , .
- 2010. Fragile states: stuck in a capability trap? Background Paper, World Bank Development Report 2011. , .
- 2007. Report on Capacity Needs Assessment and Institutional Development for BKPP and Change Management Considerations for AGTP Design. Jakarta, UNDP. .
- 2006. Reforming Public Administration in Postconflict Societies: implications for international assistance. The Mitchell Group: Washington. .
- 2007. The civil service: towards efficiency, effectiveness and honesty. In MacIntyre A, McLeod R (eds). Democracy and the Promise of Good Governance. ISEAS: Singapore. .
- 2009. Human resource management: the forgotten dimension of decentralisation in Indonesia. Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies 45(2): 231–249. , , .
- UNDP. 2010a. Provincial Human Development Report: Aceh. Jakarta, United Nations Development Programme.
- UNDP. 2010b. Study Report on Capacity Needs and Capacity Development Plans for 6 Select Agencies. [Laporan Kajian Kebutuhan Pengembangan Kapasitas dan Rencana Penembangan Kapasitas 6 SKPA Terpilih]. Banda Aceh, United Nations Development Programme.
- United Nations. 2010. Reconstructing public administration after conflict; challenges, practices and lessons learned. World Public Sector Report 2010.
- 2011. Politics into practice. Conference Report (London: Overseas Development Institute). , .
- World Bank. 2006. Opportunities and Constraints for Civil Service Reform in Indonesia; Exploration of a New Approach and Methodology. Jakarta.
- World Bank. 2009. Multi-Stakeholder Review of Post-Conflict Programming in Aceh: Identifying the Foundations for Sustainable Peace and Development in Aceh. Jakarta, World Bank.
- World Bank. 2012. World Development Report 2011: Conflict. Security and Development. Washington, The World Bank Group.