TRUST OR CONTROL? PRIVATE DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION AT THE CROSSROADS
Version of Record online: 15 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Public Administration and Development
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 1–13, February 2014
How to Cite
Elbers, W., Knippenberg, L. and Schulpen, L. (2014), TRUST OR CONTROL? PRIVATE DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION AT THE CROSSROADS. Public Admin. Dev., 34: 1–13. doi: 10.1002/pad.1667
- Issue online: 26 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUL 2012
- 2001. Strengthening north-south partnerships for sustainable development. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 30: 74–98. .
- 2005. Donor–NGO relations and representations of livelihood in nongovernmental aid chains. World Development 33: 937–50. .
- 2008. Introduction: can NGOs make a difference? The challenge of development alternatives. In Can NGOs Make a Difference? The Challenge of Development Alternatives (Chapter 1), Bebbington A, Hickey S, Mitlin D (eds). Routledge: London. , , .
- 1999. The Politics of Civil Society Building: European Private Aid Agencies and Democratic Transitions in Central America. International Books: Utrecht. .
- 1995. Negotiating room for manoeuvre: reflections concerning NGO autonomy and accountability within the new policy agenda. In Beyond the Magic Bullet: NGO Performance and Accountability in the Post-Cold War World, Edwards M, Hulme D (eds). Earthscan: London. ,
- 2003. Management standards and development practice in the South African aid chain. Public Administration and Development 233: 393–404. .
- 2006. Systems of accountability, webs of deceit? Monitoring and evaluation in South African NGOs. Development 49: 52–61. .
- 2004. Autonomy or dependence? North-south NGO partnerships, INTRAC. .
- Christian Aid. 2004a. Partnership: The Cornerstone of Christian Aid's International Work. Christian Aid: London.
- Christian Aid. 2004b. Christian Aid Policy on Supporting Partners' Capacity Development. Christian Aid: London.
- Christian Aid. 2005. Turning Hope into Action. A Vision of a World Free from Poverty. 2005–2010 Strategic Framework. Christian Aid: London.
- Christian Aid. 2008a. Christian Aid's Annual Report 2006/07. The Difference We Make. Christian Aid: London.
- Christian Aid. 2008b. Christian Aid Project/Programme Agreements. Christian Aid: London.
- 1991. Grassroots development where no grass grows: small-scale development efforts on the Peruvian coast. Studies in Comparative International Development 262: 59–76. .
- Dar S, Cooke B. (eds). 2008. The New Development Management: Critiquing the Dual Modernization. Zed Books: London.
- 1999. Globalisation and its effects on NGOs: efflorescence or a blurring of roles and relevance? Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 28: 38–86. .
- 1983. The iron cage revisited: institutional isomorphism and collective rationality in organizational fields. American Journal of Sociology 48: 147–60. , .
- 2008. The state of the humanitarian enterprise. Feinstein International Center, Tufts University. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Capacity building: who builds whose capacity? Development in Practice 17: 630–639. .
- 2011. Small Change. Why Business Will Not Save the World. Berrett-Koehler Publishers: San Francisco. .
- 2002. Introduction: changing challenges for NGDO management. In The Earthscan Reader on NGO Management, Edwards M, Fowler A (eds). Earthscan: London. , .
- 2010. Decision-making in partnerships for development: explaining the influence of local partners. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 20: 1–18. , .
- 2005. Donors' learning difficulties. IDS Bulletin 36: 98–107. .
- 1997. Doing good? The politics and anti-politics of NGO practices. Annual Review of Anthropology 26: 439–64. .
- 1998. Authentic NGDO partnership in the new policy agenda for international aid: dead end or light ahead? Development and Change 29: 137–159. .
- 2000a. Beyond partnership: getting real about NGO relationships in the aid system. IDS Bulletin 31: 1–13. .
- 2000b. Partnerships: negotiating relationships, a resource for non governmental development organisations. INTRAC Occasional Papers, 32. INTRAC: Oxford. .
- 1991. Bringing society back in: symbols, practices, and institutional contradictions. In The New Institutionalism in Organizational Analysis, Powell WW, DiMaggio PJ (eds). University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL. , .
- 1984. The Constitution of Society: An Outline of the Theory of Structuration. Polity Press: Cambridge. .
- 1998. The politics of social service provision through NGOs: a study of Latin America. Bulletin of Latin American Research 17: 303–21. .
- 2002. Theorizing change: the role of professional associations in the transformation of institutionalized fields. Academy of Management Journal 45: 58–80. , , .
- 2011. Transcending the great foreign aid debate: managerialism, radicalism and the search for aid effectiveness. Third World quarterly 32: 199–216. .
- 2000. Indicators of identity: NGOs and the strategic imperative of assessing core values. Development in Practice 10: 402–407. .
- 2007. The role of contestation in NGO partnerships. Journal of International Development 19: 389–400. .
- 2005. Exploring the politics of poverty reduction: from representation to a politics of justice? World Development 33: 851–865. , .
- 1999. Institutional evolution and change: environmentalism and the U.S. chemical industry. Academy of Management Journal 42: 351–371. .
- 2005. Building civil society through partnership: lessons from a case study of the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee. Development in Practice 15: 16–27. .
- 1991. A public management for all seasons? Public Administration 69: 3–19. .
- 2000. Civil society: technical instrument or force of change? In New Roles and Relevance: Development NGOs and the Challenge of Change, Lewis D, Wallace T (eds). Kumarian Press: Hartford, CT. , .
- 1999. NGOs and Civil Society: Democracy by Proxy? Polity Press: Cambridge. .
- ICCO. 2003. ICCO Partnership Policy. ICCO: Utrecht.
- ICCO. 2007. Operational Plan 2007–2010. ICCO: Utrecht.
- 2006. North–south/south–north partnerships: closing the mutuality gap. Public Administration and Development 26: 71–80. , .
- 2011. Managerialism in motion: lessons from Oaxaca, Mexico. Journal of Latin American Studies 43: 633–662. , , .
- 2002. Mobilizing the logic of managerialism in professional fields: the case of academic health centers mergers. Organization Studies 233: 391–420. .
- 1990. Getting to the 21st Century: Voluntary Action and the Global Agenda. Kumarian Press: Hartford, CT. .
- 1995. Models of inter-organizational collaboration in development. Institutional Development 21: 27–49. .
- 1998. Development NGOs and the challenge of partnership: changing relations between north and south. Social Policy and Administration 32: 501–512. .
- 2006. The Management of Nongovernmental Organizations (2nd edn). Routledge: London. .
- 2008. Nongovernmentalism and the reorganization of public action. In The New Development Management: Critiquing the Dual Modernization, Cooke B, Dar S (eds). Zed Books: London. .
- 2009. Non-governmental Organizations and Development. Routledge: London. , .
- 2000. Power in partnership? An analysis of an NGO's relationship with its partners Journal of International Development 12: 227–239. .
- 1994. Globalizing civil society: interpreting NGOs in Central America. Millennium: Journal of International Studies 23: 267–285. .
- 2002. Paradoxes of professionalization: parallel dilemmas in women's organizations in the Americas. Gender and Society 16: 941–958. , .
- 2002. Knowledge, Power and Development Agenda. NGOs in North and South. INTRAC: Oxford. , , , .
- 2005. Trust, accountability, and face-to-face interaction in north–south NGO relations. Development in Practice 15: 77–82. , , .
- 2010. Introduction: the future of development management. Public Administration and Development 30: 81–90. , .
- 2006. Changing institutional logics and executive identities: a managerial challenge to public administration in Austria. American Behavioral Scientist 497: 1000–1014. , .
- 1977. Institutionalized organizations: formal structure as myth and ceremony. American Journal of Sociology 83: 340–363. , .
- 2007. Reclaiming development? NGOs and the challenge of alternatives. World Development 35: 1699–1720. , , .
- 2005. Global governance and the ethnography of international aid. In The Aid Effect. Giving and Governing in International Development, Mosse D, Lewis D (eds). Pluto Press: London. .
- 2007. Promises of transformation: just how different are development INGOs. Journal of International Development 19: 401–412. .
- 2010. Post-foundational development management: Power, politics and complexity. Public Administration and Development 30: 149–158. .
- 2008. What contribution can insights from the complexity sciences make to the theory and practice of development management? Journal of International Development Volume 20: 804–820. , , .
- 2000. International NGOs and the challenge of modernity. Development in Practice 10: 330–347. .
- 2008. The rise of the global managers. In The New Development Management: Critiquing the Dual Modernization, Cooke B, Dar S (eds). Zed Books: London. .
- 1992. Reinventing Government. Addison-Wesley: Reading, MA. , .
- 1993. NGOs and social change: agents or facilitators? Development in Practice 33: 222–27. .
- 2007. Reflections on relationships: the nature of partnership according to five NGOs in southern Mexico. Development in Practice 17: 575–581. .
- 1997. The Audit Society: Rituals of Verification. Oxford University Press: Oxford. .
- 2005. The recomposition of an organizational field: health care in Alberta. Organization Studies 26: 349–382. , .
- 2009. Managing the rivalry of competing institutional logics. Organization Studies 30: 629–652. , .
- 2005. NGOs and the globalization of managerialism. World Development 33: 1845–1864. , , .
- 2008. Institutions and Organizations (3rd edn). Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA. .
- 2000. Institutional Change and Healthcare Organizations. University of Chicago: Chicago, IL. , , , .
- 1995. The Alms Bazaar: Altruism Under Fire—Non-profit Organisations and International Development. Intermediate Technology Publications: London. .
- 2008. Whatever happened to reciprocity? Implications of donor emphasis on ‘voice’ and ‘impact’ as rationales for working with NGOs in development. In Can NGOs Make a Difference? The Challenge of Development Alternatives, Bebbington A, Hickey S, Mitlin DC (eds). Zed Books: London. .
- 2008. Institutional logics. In Handbook of Organizational Institutionalism, Greenwood R, Oliver C, Sahlin-Andersson K, Suddaby R (eds). Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA. , .
- 1997. The institutional logic of performance appraisal. Organization Studies 18: 261–85. .
- 1998. Angels of Mercy or Development Diplomats: NGOs and Foreign Aid. Africa World Press/James Currey: Oxford. .
- 2002. Development NGOs: actors in a global civil society or in a new international social system? VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 13: 363–375. .
- 2006. The international aid system and the non-governmental organizations: a new research agenda. Journal of International Development 18: 677–690. .
- 1997. New development agendas: changes in UK NGO policies and procedures. Review of African Political Economy 71: 35–55. .
- 2006. The Aid Chain: Coercion and Commitment in Development NGOs. Intermediate Technology Development Group: Rugby, Warwickshire. , , .
- 1999. NGOs, civil society and the state in Bangladesh: the politics of representing the poor. Development and Change 30: 307–326. .