Rapid Quantitation of Furanocoumarins and Flavonoids in Grapefruit Juice using Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatography
Article first published online: 18 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 654–660, November/December 2013
How to Cite
VanderMolen, K. M., Cech, N. B., Paine, M. F. and Oberlies, N. H. (2013), Rapid Quantitation of Furanocoumarins and Flavonoids in Grapefruit Juice using Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatography. Phytochem. Anal., 24: 654–660. doi: 10.1002/pca.2449
- Issue published online: 24 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 DEC 2012
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute of General Medical Sciences. Grant Number: R01 GM077482
- 2007. Simultaneous analysis of adrenergic amines and flavonoids in Citrus peel jams and fruit juices by liquid chromatography: part 2. J AOAC Int 90: 633–640. , , .
- 1998. Grapefruit juice–drug interactions. Br J Clin Pharmacol 46: 101–110. , , , .
- 2007. Naringin is a major and selective clinical inhibitor of organic anion-transporting polypeptide 1A2 (OATP1A2) in grapefruit juice. Clin Pharmacol Ther 81: 495–502. , , , .
- 2011. Development and validation of a UHPLC method for the determination of flavonoids in red wine. J AOAC Int 94: 786–794. , .
- 2012. A simple and fast method for the simultaneous quantification of six flavonoids in Fructus aurantii by UPLC-PDA and confirmation by UPLC/ESI-Q-TOF-MS. Anal Methods 4: 4121–4128. , , , , , .
- 2009. Grapefruit juice and its constituents augment colchicine intestinal absorption: potential hazardous interaction and the role of p-glycoprotein. Pharm Res 26: 883–892. , .
- 2006. Variation of flavonoids and furanocoumarins in grapefruit juices: a potential source of variability in grapefruit juice–drug interaction studies. J Agr Food Chem 54: 249–255. , , , , .
- 2007. Grapefruit juice–drug interactions: grapefruit juice and its components inhibit P-glycoprotein (ABCB1) mediated transport of talinolol in Caco-2 cells. J Pharm Sci 96: 2808–2817. , , , .
- 2013. An improved mass spectrometric method for identification and quantification of phenolic compounds in apple fruits. Food Chem 136: 368–375. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The effects of fruit juices on drug disposition: a new model for drug interactions. Eur J Clin Invest 33: 10–16. , .
- 2005. Effect of grapefruit juice volume on the reduction of fexofenadine bioavailability: Possible role of organic anion transporting polypeptides. Clin Pharmacol Ther 77: 170–177. , , .
- 1999. 6',7'-Dihydroxybergamottin in grapefruit juice and Seville orange juice: effects on cyclosporine disposition, enterocyte CYP3A4, and P-glycoprotein. Clin Pharmacol Ther 65: 237–244. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Comparative evaluation of 12 immature citrus fruit extracts for the inhibition of cytochrome P450 isoform activities. Biol Pharm Bull 31: 925–930. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Amounts and variation in grapefruit juice of the main components causing grapefruit-drug interaction. J Chromatogr B 741: 195–203. , , , , .
- 2004. Practical aspects of fast reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography using 3 µm particle packed columns and monolithic columns in pharmaceutical development and production working under current good manufacturing practice. J Chromatogr A 1036: 127–133. , , , , , .
- 2011. The effect of grapefruit juice on drug disposition. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 7: 267–286. , , , .
- 2007. Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 7th edn. W. H. Freeman and Co.: New York. .
- 2012. Simultaneous UPLC analysis of three major flavonoids in granule decoctions of Fructus Aurantii-type formulae. Pharmazie 67: 586–589. , , , , , , .
- 2012. UPLC: a preeminent technique in pharmaceutical analysis. Acta Pol Pharm 69: 371–380. , , , .
- 2009. Development of a reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatographic method for analyzing furanocoumarin components in citrus fruit juices and Chinese herbal medicines. J Chromatogr Sci 47: 211–215. , , , .
- 1997. Role of intestinal P-glycoprotein (mdr 1) in interpatient variation in the oral bioavailability of cyclosporine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 62: 248–260. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Ultrahigh-pressure reversed-phase liquid chromatography in packed capillary columns. Anal Chem 69: 983–989. , , .
- 1999. Ultrahigh-pressure reversed-phase capillary liquid chromatography: isocratic and gradient elution using columns packed with 1.0-µm particles. Anal Chem 71: 700–708. , , .
- 2005. Distribution of furanocoumarins in grapefruit juice fractions. J Agr Food Chem 53: 5158–5163. , .
- 2011. A fast method coupling ultrahigh performance liquid chromatography with diode array detection for flavonoid quantification in citrus fruit extracts. J Agr Food Chem 59: 6353–6359. , , , , , .
- 2000. Effect of furanocoumarin derivatives in grapefruit juice on the uptake of vinblastine by Caco-2 cells and on the activity of cytochrome P450 3A4. Br J Pharmacol 130: 1369–1377. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Clinical relevance of the small intestine as an organ of drug elimination: drug-fruit juice interactions. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 3: 67–80. , .
- 2006. A furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice establishes furanocoumarins as the mediators of the grapefruit juice-felodipine interaction. Am J Clin Nutr 83: 1097–1105. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Further characterization of a furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice on drug disposition: studies with cyclosporine. Am J Clin Nutr 87: 863–871. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Variance of common flavonoids by brand of grapefruit juice. Fitoterapia 71: 154–161. , , , .
- 2010. Grapefruit–drug interactions. Drugs 70: 2373–2407. , , , .
- 2005. UPLC. An introduction and review. J Liq Chromatogr R T 28: 1253–1263. .
- 2005. Variation in the content of bioactive flavonoids in different brands of orange and grapefruit juices. J Food Compos Anal 19: 157–166. , , , , .
- 1995. Overlapping substrate specificities and tissue distribution of cytochrome P450 3A and P-glycoprotein: implications for drug delivery and activity in cancer chemotherapy. Mol Carcinog 13: 129–134. , , .
- 2006. Variations in content of active ingredients causing drug interactions in grapefruit juice products sold in California. Drug Metab Drug Interact 21: 233–243. , .
- 2005. Variation in furanocoumarin content and new furanocoumarin dimers in commercial grapefruit (Citrus paradisi Macf.) juices. J Food Sci 70: C307–C312. , .
- 2000. Quantification of the phytoestrogen naringenin in grapefruit and orange juices marketed in Argentina. Acta Farm Bonaerense 19: 277–279. , , , .
- 2011. Grapefruit juice increases systemic exposure of loperamide without consequent central nervous system opiate-like effects in healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacol Ther 89: S61–S62. , , , , , .
- 2010. A modified grapefruit juice eliminates furanocoumarins and polymethoxyflavones as candidate mediators of the fexofenadine-grapefruit juice interaction in healthy volunteers. AAPS J 12: S2 (available at www.aapsj.org). , , , .
- 2012. Mechanisms underlying food–drug interactions: Inhibition of intestinal metabolism and transport. Pharmacol Ther 136: 186–201. , , .
- 2001. Practical aspects of ultrahigh pressure capillary liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 911: 1–12. , , .