The authors have no conflicts of interest.
Impact of the voluntary withdrawal of over-the-counter cough and cold medications on pediatric ingestions reported to poison centers†
Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety
Volume 19, Issue 8, pages 819–824, August 2010
How to Cite
Klein-Schwartz, W., Sorkin, J. D. and Doyon, S. (2010), Impact of the voluntary withdrawal of over-the-counter cough and cold medications on pediatric ingestions reported to poison centers. Pharmacoepidem. Drug Safe., 19: 819–824. doi: 10.1002/pds.1971
- Issue online: 20 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 15 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 30 OCT 2009
- 4Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Infant deaths associated with cough and cold medications–two states, 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2007; 56(1): 1–4.
- 5FDA. Nonprescription Drug Advisory Committee Meeting: Cold, Cough, Allergy, Bronchodilator, Antiasthmatic Drug Products for the Over-the-counter Human Use (Memorandum). FDA, Division of Drug Risk Evaluation: Rockville, 2007; 29. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ PublicHealthAdvisories/ucm051282.html [Accessed on 16 January 2009].
- 6Consumer Healthcare Products Association. Makers of OTC cough and cold medicines announce voluntary withdrawal of oral infant medicines, Washington, DC. http://www.chpa-info.org/10_11_07. OralInfantMedicines.aspx [Accessed on 23 December 2008].
- 7FDA. Public Health Advisory: nonprescription cough and cold medicine use in children. FDA CDER, Rockville, 2008. http://www.fda.gov/Cder/drug/advisory/cough_cold_2008.htm [Accessed on 23 December 2008].
- 8Consumer Healthcare Products Association. Pediatric oral cough and cold medicines. http://www.chpa-info.org/media/resources/r_4519. pdf#search=%22pediatric%22. [Accessed on 29 April 2009].
- 9FDA. Over the counter cough and cold medications for pediatric use; notice of public hearing. Fed Regist 2008; 73(165): 50033–50036.
- 132008 Annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System (NPDS): 26th Annual report. Clin Toxicol. 2009; 47: 911–1084. DOI: 10.3109/15563650903438566, , , , , .
- 142006 annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System (NPDS). Clin Toxicol 2007; 45: 815–917. DOI: 10.1080/15563650701754763, , , , , .
- 16Media influence on poison center volume after 11 September 2001. Prehosp Disaster Med 2004; 19(2): 185., , , .
- 17Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Acute respiratory illness linked to use of aerosol leather conditioner—Oregon, December 1992. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1993; 41(52–53): 965–967.
- 18Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Flu season summary (30 September 2007–17 May 2008), Atlanta. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/season.htm [Accessed on 26 April 2009].