Effect of sexual maturation on muscle gene expression of rainbow trout: RNA-Seq approach
Article first published online: 23 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Physiological Reports published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of the American Physiological Society and The Physiological Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 1, Issue 5, October 2013
How to Cite
Physiol Rep, 1 (5), 2013, e00120, doi: 10.1002/phy2.120
- Issue published online: 23 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 AUG 2013
- USDA/CSREES. Grant Number: #2007-35205-17914
- 1983. Flow cytometery: assaying experimental polyploidy fish and shellfish. Aquaculture 33:317–328.
- 2001. Fish physiology: nitrogen excretion. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- 2011. P. 166 in Characterizing textural attributes of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, fillets as affected by age, sterility, and storage regimen. West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV.
- 2011. Effect of sexual maturation on growth, fillet composition, and texture of female rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) on a high nutritional plane. Aquaculture 317:79–88. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Effect of sexual maturation on thermal stability, viscoelastic properties, and texture of female rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, fillets. J. Food Sci. 77:S77–S83. , , , , , , et al.
- 1959. A rapid method for total lipid extraction and purification. Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 37:911–917. , and .
- 2010. Discovery and characterization of nutritionally regulated genes associated with muscle growth in Atlantic salmon. Physiol. Genomics 42A:114–130. , and .
- 2005. Gene expression profiling of muscle tissue in Brahman steers during nutritional restriction. J. Anim. Sci. 83:1–12. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Comparison of prenatal muscle tissue expression profiles of two pig breeds differing in muscle characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1–10. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Effects of insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin, and leucine on protein turnover and ubiquitin ligase expression in rainbow trout primary myocytes. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 298:R341–R350. , and .
- 2000. Molecular cloning and expression of mammalian peroxisomal trans-2-enoyl-coenzyme A reductase cDNAs. J. Biol. Chem. 275:24333–24340. , , and .
- 2001. Prolonged inhibition of muscle carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1 promotes intramyocellular lipid accumulation and insulin resistance in rats. Diabetes 50:123–130. , , , , , and .
- FABP3 Gene. 2013. GeneCards | FABPH Protein | FABPH Antibody [Online]. [N.D.]. Available at http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=FABP3 (accessed 20 July 2013).
- 1990. Effect of dietary α-linolenic acid on growth, metastasis, fatty acid profile and prostaglandin production of two murine mammary adenocarcinomas. J. Nutri. 120:1601–1609. , and .
- 2008. Effects of short-term growth hormone treatment on liver and muscle transcriptomes in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Physiol. Genomics 32:380–392. , , , , , and .
- Gene [Internet]. 2004a. EHHADH enoyl-CoA, hydratase/3-hydroxyacyl CoA dehydrogenase [Homo sapiens (human)] [Online]. National Library of Medicine (US) NC for BI, Bethesda MD. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/26090 (accessed 16 April 2013).
- Gene [Internet]. 2004b. ACAD9 acyl-CoA dehydrogenase family, member 9 [Homo sapiens (human)] [Online]. National Library of Medicine (US) NC for BI, Bethesda MD. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/26090 (accessed 16 April 2013).
- Gene [Internet]. 2004c. ABHD12 abhydrolase domain containing 12 [Homo sapiens (human)] [Online]. National Library of Medicine (US) NC for BI, Bethesda MD. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/26090 (accessed 16 April 2013).
- Genetics Home Reference. 2013. No Title [Online]. Available at http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/CBS (accessed 20 July 2013).
- 2003. Principles of animal growth and development. Kendall Hunt Pub Co, Dubuque, IA. , and .
- 2008. High-throughput functional annotation and data mining with the Blast2GO suite. Nucleic Acids Res. 36:3420–3435. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Protocols for more effective induction of tetraploid rainbow trout. N. Am. J. Aquac. 69:367–372, [N.D.]. , and .
- 2011. RNA-Seq analyses generate comprehensive transcriptomic landscape and reveal complex transcript patterns in hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS One 6:e26168. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Deep sequencing-based transcriptome profiling analysis of Oryzias melastigma exposed to PFOS. Aquat. Toxicol. 120–121:54–58. , , , , , and .
- InterPro. 2013. No Title [Online]. Available at http://www.ebi.ac.uk/interpro/entry/IPR012134;jsessionid=1F2E8939762BAC47BD02F15BB836141B (accessed 20 July 2013).
- 2012. Expression of fat deposition and fat removal genes is associated with intramuscular fat content in longissimus dorsi muscle of Korean cattle steers. J. Anim. Sci. 90:2044–2053. doi: 10.2527/jas.2011-4753. , , , , and .
- 2010. The transcriptomics of sympatric dwarf and normal lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis spp., Salmonidae) divergence as revealed by next-generation sequencing. Mol. Ecol. 19:5389–5403. , , , , and .
- 2012. Regulation of metabolism by dietary carbohydrates in two lines of rainbow trout divergently selected for muscle fat content. J. Exp. Biol. 215:2567–2578. , , , , , and .
- KEGG. 2012. Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes [Online]. Available at http://www.genome.jp/dbget-bin/www_bget?hsa:55825+hsa:9524 (accessed 24 October 2011).
- 2008a. Liver and muscle metabolic changes induced by dietary energy content and genetic selection in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 294:R1154–R1164. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008b. Changes induced by dietary energy intake and divergent selection for muscle fat content in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), assessed by transcriptome and proteome analysis of the liver. BMC Genomics 9:506. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Endothelial lipase provides an alternative pathway for FFA uptake in lipoprotein lipase – deficient mouse adipose tissue. J. Clin. Invest. 115:161–167. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Adipose triglyceride lipase-mediated lipolysis of cellular fat stores is activated by CGI-58 and defective in Chanarin-Dorfman Syndrome. Cell Metab. 3:309–319. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Molecular cloning, baculovirus expression, and tissue distribution of the zebrafish aldehyde dehydrogenase 2. Drug Metab. Dispos. 33:649–656. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Multiple types of skeletal muscle atrophy involve a common program of changes in gene expression. Faseb J. 18:39–51. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Genetic polymorphisms in carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1A gene are associated with variation in body composition and fasting lipid traits in Yup'ik Eskimos. J. Lipid Res. 53:175–184. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. RNA-seq analysis of mucosal immune responses reveals signatures of intestinal barrier disruption and pathogen entry following Edwardsiella ictaluri infection in channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 32:816–827. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. P. 135 in Effects of age and polyploidy on growth, composition, fatty acid content, and egg development in female rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV. , , , and .
- 2012. Effect of sexual maturation and triploidy on chemical composition and fatty acid content of energy stores in female rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture 364:312–321. , , , , , and .
- 2010. RNA-seq: from technology to biology. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 67:569–579. , and .
- 2009. Salmon spawning migration: metabolic shifts and environmental triggers. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part D Genomics Proteomics 4:75–89. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. PHGDH amplification and altered glucose metabolism in human melanoma. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 24:1112–1115. , , , , and .
- 2003. Effect of dietary lipid level on fatty acid beta-oxidation and lipid composition in various tissues of haddock, Melanogrammus aeglefinus L. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B Biochem. Mol. Biol. 135:95–108. , , , and .
- 1989. Deposition and mobilisation of body fat during sexual maturation in fernale trout (Salmo gairdneri Richardson). Aquat. Living Resour. 2:153–159. , and .
- 2011. Transcriptomic assessment of resistance to effects of an aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AHR) agonist in embryos of Atlantic killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) from a marine Superfund site. BMC Genomics 12:263. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Denervation in murine fast-twitch muscle: short-term physiological changes and temporal expression profiling. Physiol. Genomics 25:60–74. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. SAS for mixed models. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC [N.D.]. , , , , and .
- 2006. Gene expression profiling: insights into skeletal muscle growth and development. J. Anim. Sci. 84(Suppl.):E150–E154. , , and .
- 2004. Two zebrafish alcohol dehydrogenases share common ancestry with mammalian class I, II, IV, and V alcohol dehydrogenase genes but have distinct functional characteristics. J. Biol. Chem. 279:38303–38312. , , and .
- 2007. Dynamic gene expression in fish muscle during recovery growth induced by a fasting-refeeding schedule. BMC Genomics 8:438. , , , , , and .
- 2006a. Molecular characterization of muscle atrophy and proteolysis associated with spawning in rainbow trout. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part D Genomics Proteomics 1:227–237. , , , and .
- 2006b. Microarray gene expression analysis in atrophying rainbow trout muscle: a unique nonmammalian muscle degradation model. Physiol. Genomics 28:33–45. , , , and .
- 2007. Effect of starvation on global gene expression and proteolysis in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). BMC Genomics 8:328. , , , and .
- 2008. Development of a 37 k high-density oligonucleotide microarray: a new tool for functional genome research in rainbow trout. J. Fish Biol. 72:2187–2206. , , , and .
- 2010a. Proteomic signature of muscle atrophy in rainbow trout. J. Proteomics 73:778–789. , , , and .
- 2010b. Characterization of the rainbow trout transcriptome using Sanger and 454-pyrosequencing approaches. BMC Genomics 11:564. , , , , and .
- 2012. RNA-Seq identifies SNP markers for growth traits in rainbow trout. PLoS One 7:e36264. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Effect of acute and chronic insulin administrations on major factors involved in the control of muscle protein turnover in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 172:363–370. , , , and .
- 2012. Transcriptomic signatures of attachment, NF-kappaB suppression and IFN stimulation in the catfish gill following columnaris bacterial infection. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 38:169–180. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Carbamoyl-phosphate synthetase. Creation of an escape route for ammonia. J. Biol. Chem. 277:39722–39727. , , , and .
- 1995. Structure and mechanism of action of the acyl-CoA dehydrogenases [Online]. FASEB J. 9:718–725. , and .
- 2006. Oligonucleotide microarray expression profiling: human skeletal muscle phenotype and aerobic exercise training. IUBMB Life 58:15–24. , and .
- 2005. Acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase: crucial metabolic enzyme and attractive target for drug discovery. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 62:1784–1803.
- UniProt Consortium. 2013. Choline dehydrogenase, mitochondrial precursor - Homo sapiens (Human). UniProtKB Protein Knowledgebase. Available at http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/Q8NE62 (accessed 10 October 2013).
- 2005. Early embryonic lethality in mice with targeted deletion of the CTP: phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase alpha gene (Pcyt1a). Mol. Cell. Biol. 25:3357–3363. , , , and .
- 2011. Molecular characterization of the MuRF genes in rainbow trout: potential role in muscle degradation. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B Biochem. Mol. Biol. 158:208–215. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Effects of fatty acid composition and spawning season patterns on egg quality and larval survival in common snook (Centropomus undecimalis). Aquaculture 287:335–340. , , , and .
- 2002. Cloning and functional characterization of ACAD-9, a novel member of human acyl-CoA dehydrogenase family. [Online]. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 297:1033–1042. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12359260 (accessed 14 July 2013). , , , , , , et al.