Multigenerational effects of fetal-neonatal iron deficiency on hippocampal BDNF signaling
Version of Record online: 2 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Physiological Reports published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of the American Physiological Society and The Physiological Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 1, Issue 5, October 2013
How to Cite
Physiol Rep, 1 (5), 2013, e00096, doi: 10.1002/phy2.96
- Issue online: 23 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 AUG 2013
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 2R01 HD029421-17
- 2003. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-induced gene expression reveals novel actions of VGF in hippocampal synaptic plasticity. J. Neurosci. 23:10800–10808. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Stressed-out, or in (utero)? Trends Neurosci. 25:518–524. , , , and .
- 2003a. Neonatal iron deficiency results in irreversible changes in dopamine function in rats. J. Nutr. 133:1174–1179. , , and .
- 2003b. Pre- and postweaning iron deficiency alters myelination in Sprague-Dawley rats. Dev. Neurosci. 25:308–315. , , and .
- 2006. Inhibition of gluconeogenesis through transcriptional activation of EGR1 and DUSP4 by AMP-activated kinase. J. Biol. Chem. 281:27167–27177. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Iron deficiency and iron-deficiency anemia in the first two years of life: strategies to prevent loss of developmental potential. Nutr. Rev. 69(Suppl 1):S64–S70. , , , and .
- 2013. Differential methylation of genes in the medial prefrontal cortex of developing and adult rats following exposure to maltreatment or nurturing care during infancy. Dev. Neurosci. 35:306–316. , , and .
- 2004. Epigenetic control of neurobehavioural plasticity: the role of neurotrophins. Behav. Pharmacol. 15:353–362. , , and .
- 2013. Early interactions with mother and peers independently build adult social skills and shape BDNF and oxytocin receptor brain levels. Psychoneuroendocrinology 38:522–532. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Gestational and neonatal iron deficiency alters apical dendrite structure of CA1 pyramidal neurons in adult rat hippocampus. Dev. Neurosci. 32:238–248. , , , , and .
- 2007. Neurotrophin/Trk receptor signaling mediates C/EBPalpha, -beta and NeuroD recruitment to immediate-early gene promoters in neuronal cells and requires C/EBPs to induce immediate-early gene transcription. Neural Dev. 2:4. , , , , , , et al.
- Early life iron deficiency anemia alters the development and long-term expression of parvalbumin and perineuronal nets in the rat hippocampus. Dev. Neurosci. , , , and . In Press.
- 2007. Perinatal iron deficiency results in altered developmental expression of genes mediating energy metabolism and neuronal morphogenesis in hippocampus. Hippocampus 17:679–691. , , , , and .
- 2009. Iron is essential for neuron development and memory function in mouse hippocampus. J. Nutr. 139:672–679. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Effect of iron deficiency anemia in pregnancy on child mental development in rural China. Pediatrics 131:e755–763. , , , , and .
- 2010. Prenatal micronutrient supplementation and intellectual and motor function in early school-aged children in Nepal. JAMA 304:2716–2723. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Relationship of iron to oligodendrocytes and myelination. Glia 17:83–93. , and .
- 2012. Associations between parenting behavior and anxiety in a rodent model and a clinical sample: relationship to peripheral BDNF levels. Transl. Psychiatry 2: e195. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. TrkB expression in dentate granule cells is associated with a late phase of long-term potentiation. Brain Res. Mol. Brain Res. 46:274–280. , , , , and .
- 2006. Persistent neurochemical and behavioral abnormalities in adulthood despite early iron supplementation for perinatal iron deficiency anemia in rats. Behav. Brain Res. 171:261–270. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The role of iron in learning and memory. Adv. Nutr. 2:112–121. , , and .
- 2000. Rapid and selective induction of BDNF expression in the hippocampus during contextual learning. Nat. Neurosci. 3:533–535. , , and .
- 2012. Maternal care received by individual pups correlates with adult CA1 dendritic morphology and synaptic plasticity in a sex-dependent manner. J. Neuroendocrinol. 24:331–340. , , , , and .
- 2007. Hippocampus-specific deletion of BDNF in adult mice impairs spatial memory and extinction of aversive memories. Mol. Psychiatry 12:656–670. , , , and .
- 2007. Neurotrophins and their receptors: roles in plasticity, neurodegeneration and neuroprotection. Biochem. Soc. Trans. 35:424–427. , , and .
- 2001. Neurotrophins: roles in neuronal development and function. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 24:677–736. , and .
- 1999. BDNF regulates the maturation of inhibition and the critical period of plasticity in mouse visual cortex. Cell 98:739–755. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Fetal iron deficiency disrupts the maturation of synaptic function and efficacy in area CA1 of the developing rat hippocampus. Hippocampus 15:1094–1102. , , , and .
- 2013. Sex and litter effects on anxiety and DNA methylation levels of stress and neurotrophin genes in adolescent rats. Dev. Psychobiol. doi: 10.1002/dev.21106. , , and .
- 2007. Chromatin modifications and their function. Cell 128:693–705.
- 2009. Effects of maternal multimicronutrient supplementation on the mental development of infants in rural western China: follow-up evaluation of a double-blind, randomized, controlled trial. Pediatrics 123:e685–e692. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Maternal care, hippocampal synaptogenesis and cognitive development in rats. Nat. Neurosci. 3:799–806. , , , , and .
- 2006. Long-lasting neural and behavioral effects of iron deficiency in infancy. Nutr. Rev. 64:S34–S91. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Broad epigenetic signature of maternal care in the brain of adult rats. PLoS ONE 6:e14739. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor activation of TrkB induces vascular endothelial growth factor expression via hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha in neuroblastoma cells. Cancer Res. 66:4249–4255. , , , , , and .
- 2010. JARID2 regulates binding of the Polycomb repressive complex 2 to target genes in ES cells. Nature 464:306–310. , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. Postnatal ontogenesis of hippocampal CA1 area in rats. I. Development of dendritic arborisation in pyramidal neurons. Brain Res. Bull. 7:113–120. , and .
- 2003. Perinatal iron deficiency alters the neurochemical profile of the developing rat hippocampus. J. Nutr. 133:3215–3221. , , , , and .
- 2010. Neurochemical changes in the developing rat hippocampus during prolonged hypoglycemia. J. Neurochem. 114:728–738. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Fetal and neonatal iron deficiency causes volume loss and alters the neurochemical profile of the adult rat hippocampus. Nutr. Neurosci. 14:59–65. , , , and .
- 2009. Lasting epigenetic influence of early-life adversity on the BDNF gene. Biol. Psychiatry 65:760–769. , , , and .
- 2010. Epigenetic regulation of genes in learning and memory. Essays Biochem. 48:263–274. , , and .
- 2011. Epigenetic modification of hippocampal Bdnf DNA in adult rats in an animal model of post-traumatic stress disorder. J. Psychiatr. Res. 45:919–926. , , , and .
- 2004. Mental and psychomotor development in Indonesian infants of mothers supplemented with vitamin A in addition to iron during pregnancy. Br. J. Nutr. 91:279–286. , , , , and .
- 2007. Dissociating the long-term effects of fetal/neonatal iron deficiency on three types of learning in the rat. Behav. Neurosci. 121:475–482. , , , , and .
- 2011. Structural basis for histone H3 Lys 27 demethylation by UTX/KDM6A. Genes Dev. 25:2266–2277. , and .
- 1998. TrkB signaling modulates spine density and morphology independent of dendrite structure in cultured neonatal Purkinje cells. J. Neurosci. 18:8559–8570. , , and .
- 2004. Iron deficiency alters auditory recognition memory in newborn infants of diabetic mothers. Pediatr. Res. 55:1034–1041. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Seminiferous cord formation and germ-cell programming: epigenetic transgenerational actions of endocrine disruptors. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1061:18–32. , and .
- 2006. Roles of Jumonji and Jumonji family genes in chromatin regulation and development. Dev. Dyn. 235:2449–2459. , , , and .
- 2008. Early-life iron deficiency anemia alters neurotrophic factor expression and hippocampal neuron differentiation in male rats. J. Nutr. 138:2495–2501. , , , and .
- 2009. Long-term reduction of hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor activity after fetal-neonatal iron deficiency in adult rats. Pediatr. Res. 65:493–498. , , , and .
- 2012. Behavior and monoamine deficits in prenatal and perinatal iron deficiency are not corrected by early postnatal moderate-iron or high-iron diets in rats. J. Nutr. 142:2040–2049. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Polycomb eviction as a new distant enhancer function. Genes Dev. 25:1583–1588. , , , , , , et al.
- World Health Organization (WHO). 1998. Global database on child growth and malnutrition. WHO, Geneva.
- 2000. The role of brain-derived neurotrophic factor receptors in the mature hippocampus: modulation of long-term potentiation through a presynaptic mechanism involving TrkB. J. Neurosci. 20:6888–6897. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. BDNF induces transport of PSD-95 to dendrites through PI3K-AKT signaling after NMDA receptor activation. Nat. Neurosci. 10:702–711. , and .
- 2008. Transgenerational epigenetic effects. Annu. Rev. Genomics Hum. Genet. 9:233–257. , and .