A system dynamics model of tellurium availability for CdTe PV
Article first published online: 15 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 129–146, January 2014
How to Cite
Houari, Y., Speirs, J., Candelise, C. and Gross, R. (2014), A system dynamics model of tellurium availability for CdTe PV. Prog. Photovolt: Res. Appl., 22: 129–146. doi: 10.1002/pip.2359
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 APR 2012
- 1IEA. Technology Roadmap: Solar Photovoltaic Energy, International Energy Agency: Paris, France, 2010.
- 2EPIA. Annual Report 2011, 2012, European Photovoltaic Industry Association: Available online at: http://www.epia.org/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin/EPIA_docs/publications/epia/Annual_Report_2011.pdf&t=1349015803&hash=7cd4065ffe76c0f342cb33750c693a08
- 3Year of the Tiger: cell production 2010, in Photon International 2011; p. 186–218..
- 4NREL. 2010 Solar Technologies Market Report, National Renewable Energy Laboratory: Golden, CO, USA, 2011.
- 7Indium and gallium: long-term supply. Renewable Energy Focus 2008; 9(4): 56, 58–59., , .
- 11First Solar. First Solar Overview. First Solar Datasheet Q3 2011, 2011, 15/02/2012]; Available from: http://www.firstsolar.com/~/media/WWW/Files/Downloads/PDF/Document-Library/Company-and-Market-Information/FastFacts_PHX.ashx
- 12NREL. PV FAQs: does the world have enough materials for PV to help address climate change? National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2005, 25/10/2011]; Available from: www.nrel.gov/docs/fy05osti/37656.pdf
- 14Study of potential cost reductions resulting from super-large-scale manufacturing of PV modules, in Final Subcontract Report: NREL/SR-520-36846, 2004, National Renewable Energy Laboratory: Golden, CO., .
- 18Price and supply constraints on Te and In photovoltaics, in Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), 2010 35th IEEE, 2010..
- 20Critical Metals in Strategic Energy Technologies, European Commission Joint Research Centre (EC JRC): Brussels, Belgium, 2011., , , , .
- 21DOE. Critical Materials Strategy 2010, US Department of Energy: Washington DC, 2010.
- 22Oakdene Hollins. Study into the feasibility of protecting and recovering critical raw materials through infrastructure development in the south east of England. UK Environment Agency - European Pathway to Zero Waste (EP0W), 2011, 15/11/2011]; Available from: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/EPOW-recovering-critical-raw-materials-T5v2.pdf
- 24Hagelüken C, Meskers CEM. Complex life cycles of precious and special metals. In Strüngmann Forum Report: Linkages of Sustainability, Graedel TE, van der Voet E (eds). MIT Press: Cambridge, MA, USA, 2010.
- 27DOE. Critical Materials Strategy 2011, US Department of Energy: Washington, DC, 2011.
- 29Materials availability: potential constraints to the future low-carbon economy – working paper, 2011, UK Energy Research Centre., , , .
- 30Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World, McGraw-Hill: Boston, MA, USA, 2000..
- 31A system dynamics mineral exploitation model (PhD Thesis), 1987, Imperial College London..
- 32M. Club of Rome. The Limits to Growth: A Report for the Club of Rome's Project on the Predicament of Mankind, Earth Island: London, 1972.,
- 33The Limits to Growth: The 30-year Update, Vol. Rev., Earthscan: London, 2004; 338., , .
- 37The Future market for thin films, in 3rd Thin Film Summit Europe, 3rd-4th March, 2011: Berlin, Germany..
- 38Photon International. Market survey: cell and module production 2010, in Photon International, the photovoltaic magazine, 2011.
- 39Fraunhofer ISE. Photovoltaics Report, Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems: Freiburg, Germany, 2012.
- 40GTM Research. Thin film 2012–2016: technologies, markets and strategies for survival, 2012, Greentech Media (GTM).
- 41Photon International. Cell production 2011 survey, in Photon International Magazine, March 2012, 2012.
- 42EPIA. Solar generation 6, 2011, European Photovoltaic Industry Association.
- 43Perspectives on the pathways for cadmium telluride photovoltaic module manufacturers to address expected increases in the price for tellurium. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 2012 (In Press). DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2012.03.023, , , , , , , , .
- 44The terawatt challenge for thin film photovoltaics. In Thin Film Solar Cells, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichester, UK, 2006; 427–462..
- 45First Solar. First Solar restructures operations to align with sustainable market opportunities, in Press Release, 2012: Available online at: http://investor.firstsolar.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=664717
- 46IEA. Energy Technology Perspectives, International Energy Agency: Paris, France, 2010.
- 47Latest developments in crystalline silicon based photovoltaics manufacturing process technologies, in PV SAT Conference, 2011, Centrotherm Solar AG: Edinburgh, Scotland..
- 48Photon Consulting. The true cost of solar: race to $1/Wp, 2009, Photon Consulting Report, February 2009: Boston, MA, USA.
- 49PV manufacturing cost analysis: future cost reduction opportunities, in CESA Member Webinar: Solar PV Manufacturing Costs, 2012, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)., , .
- 51EU PV Platform. A strategic research agenda for photovoltaic solar energy technology—Edition 2 2011, in 26th European PV Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, 2011: Hamburg, Germany.
- 52USGS. Rare Earth Elements—Critical Resources for High Technology, U.S. Geological Survey: Reston, VA, 2002.
- 53The life cycle of copper, its co-products and by-products, 2002., , .
- 54Extractive Metallurgy of Copper, 4th Edition, Elsevier: Kidlington, Oxford, UK, 2002., , , .
- 55USGS. Mineral Commodity Summaries, U.S. Geological Survey: Reston, VA, 2011.
- 57Selenium and tellurium from copper refinery slimes and their changing applications. ERZMETALL 2008; 61(1): 33–39..
- 59Copper, nickel and tellurium yields during leaching of anode slime. In Chemical Engineering and Geosciences/Process Metallurgy, Luleå University of Technology: Luleå, Sweden, 2010..
- 60Tellurium Extraction from Copper Electrorefining Slimes, U.S. Patent 5939042, Noranda Inc, 1999., , .
- 61USGS. Minerals Yearbook 2011: Selenium and Tellurium, US Geological Survey: Reston, VA, 2011.
- 64Mineral resources and consumption in the twenty-first century. In Scarcity and Growth Revisited: Natural Resources and the Environment in the New Millennium, Simpson RD, Toman MA, Ayres RU (eds). Resources for the Future: Washington, D.C., 2005; 33–53., , .
- 65ICSG. The World Copper Factbook, International Copper Study Group: Lisbon, Portugal, 2012.
- 66Private email communication with Ana Rebelo, Chief Statistician, International Copper Study Group. Y. Houari, 2012..
- 67Copper peak, 2010 15/7/2011]; Available from: http://www.energybulletin.net/node/52234.
- 68International Copper Association. Copper recycling, 2011, 15/7/2011]; Available from: http://www.copperinfo.com/environment/recycling.html
- 70USGS. Copper Statistics 1900–2009, US Geological Survey: Reston, VA, 2010.
- 71UKERC. Global Oil Depletion: An Assessment of the Evidence for a Near-term Peak in Global Oil Production, UK Energy Research Centre: London, 2009.
- 73Techniques of prediction with application to the petroleum industry, in 44th Annual meeting of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 1959: Shell Development Company, Dallas, TX..
- 74Homo Metallicus: is recycling the new garbage?, 2008, 15/7/2011]; Available from: http://www.greens.org/s-r/46/46-12.html.
- 75US Bureau of Mines. Mineral Facts and Problems: 1985 Edition, US Government Printing Office: Washington, D.C., 1985.
- 76First Solar invests in Mexican tellurium mine. PV Magazine: Photovoltaic Markets & Technology, 2011, 26/10/2011]; Available from: http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/first-solar-invests-in-mexican-tellurium-mine_100004692/.
- 77Technical Report on AuroTellurio Property, Moctezuma Mining District, Sonora, México, 2009, Mexivada Mining Corporation: Available online at: http://www.mexivada.com/s/AuroTellurio.asp..
- 80European Parliament. Directive 2002/96/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 January 2003 on waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE), 2002: Brussels.
- 81European Parliament. Directive 2002/95/EC on the restriction of certain substances in electrical and electronic equipment (RoHs), 2002: Brussels.
- 82Material Constraints on Technology Evolution: The Case of Scarce Metals and Emerging Energy Technologies, Chalmers Tekniska Hogskola (Sweden): Sweden, 2001..
- 83Recycling valuable metals from thin film cells, in EPIA 1st International Conference on PV Cell Recycling, 2010: Berlin, Germany..
- 84Overview of first solar's cell collection and recycling program, in EPIA 1st International Conference on PV Cell Recycling, 2010: Berlin, Germany..
- 85Cadmium won't be banned under RoHS, as lobbyists battle it out. 2010, 16/03/11]; Available from: http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/cadmium-wont-be-banned-under-rohs--as-lobbyists-battle-it-out_100001649/, .
- 86First Solar. First solar annual report, 2011: Available online at: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/FSLR/2038138522x0x559533/4BF0E522-1F34-489C-921D-6C77BF43DE01/Final_11_Annual_Report.pdf
- 88Long-term estimates of primary & secondary sources of thin-film PV materials, recycling and sustainability of PV, in Presentation (invited) at PV Velocity Forum: Supply and Economics in Thin-film PV Materials IEEE PVSC, June 23, 2010, 2010: Hawaii, USA. Available online at: http://www.bnl.gov/pv/files/pdf/VFthenakis_Hawaii_Supply_Economics_final.pdf.
- 89CdTe devices by AP-MOCVD: evolution from horizontal to inline reactors, in 25th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition / 5th World Conference on Photovoltaic Energy Conversion, 6-10 September 2010. 2010. Valencia, Spain., , , , , .
- 93First Solar. First Solar sets another world record for CdTe solar PV efficiency (press release). 2012, 19/1/2012]; Available from: http://investor.firstsolar.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=639463
- 94Exploring the resource base. in Resources for the Future (RFF) Workshop. 2001. Washington D.C., USA..
- 95USGS. Mineral Commodity Summaries, U.S. Geological Survey: Reston, VA, 2006.
- 96International Copper Study Group. Directory of copper mines and plants. 2011, 15/7/2011]; Available from: http://www.icsg.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=64
- 97Byproduct Mineral Commodities Used for the Production of Photovoltaic Cells, US Geological Survey (USGS): Reston, VA, 2010..