WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM SCHOOL-BASED EMOTIONAL DISTURBANCE ASSESSMENT PRACTICES? IMPLICATIONS FOR PRACTICE AND PREPARATION IN SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Psychology in the Schools
Special Issue: Preparing the Next Generation of School Psychologists: Emerging Challenges and Opportunities
Volume 50, Issue 3, pages 290–299, March 2013
How to Cite
Allen, R. A. and Hanchon, T. A. (2013), WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM SCHOOL-BASED EMOTIONAL DISTURBANCE ASSESSMENT PRACTICES? IMPLICATIONS FOR PRACTICE AND PREPARATION IN SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY. Psychol. Schs., 50: 290–299. doi: 10.1002/pits.21671
- Issue online: 12 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2013
- 2011). Eligibility, assessment, and educational placement issues for students classified with emotional disturbance: Federal and state-level Analyses. School Mental Health, 3, 24–34. doi: 10.1007/s12310-010-9045-2 , , , , , , & (
- 1982). Defining emotional disturbance: Public policy and research. Psychology in the Schools, 19, 55–60. (
- 1987). Differentiating emotionally impaired from socially maladjusted students. Psychology in the Schools, 24, 237–243. doi: 10.1002/1520-6807(198707)24:3<237::aid-pits2310240308>3.0.co;2-d (
- Education for All Handicapped Children Act of 1975 (1975). Pub. L. No. 94-142.
- 2000). Emotional or behavioral disorders: Background and current status of the E/BD terminology and definition. Behavioral Disorders, 25, 264–269. , & (
- 1992). A new proposed definition and terminology to replace “serious emotional disturbance” in Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. School Psychology Review, 21, 12–20. , & (
- 2010). Clinical assessment of child and adolescent personality and behavior (3rd ed). New York, NY: Springer Science & Business Media. , , & y W. (
- 2013). Identifying students with emotional disturbance: school psychologists’ practices and perceptions. Psychology in the Schools. 50(3): XX-XX. , & (
- 2004). Shifting from categories to services: Comprehensive school-based mental health for children with emotional disturbance and social maladjustment. Psychology in the Schools, 41, 911–920. doi: 10.1002/pits.20047 , & (
- 2004). Differentiation of emotional disturbance and social maladjustment: Introduction to the special issue. Psychology in the Schools, 41, 819–821. doi: 10.1002/pits.20038 , & (
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (2004), Pub. L. 94-142.
- 2011). Ethics and law for school psychologists (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons. , , & (
- 2004). Emotional disturbance/social maladjustment: Why is the incidence increasing? Psychology in the Schools, 41, 861–865. doi: 10.1002/pits.20042 , , , , & (
- 1982). Unclaimed children: The failure of public responsibility to children and adolescents in need of mental health services. , & (
- Losen, D., & Orfield, G. (Eds.). (2002). Racial inequity in special education. Boston, MA: Harvard Education Press.
- 2007). Assessment of childhood disorders (4th ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press. , & (
- 2008). Behavioral, social, and emotional assessment of children and adolescents (3rd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers. (
- 2004). Deconstructing a definition: Social maladjustment versus emotional disturbance and moving the EBD field forward. Psychology in the Schools, 41, 899–910. doi: 10.1002/pits.20046 , & (
- 2008). School psychologists and the assessment of childhood internalizing disorders: Perceived knowledge, role preferences and training needs. School Psychology International, 29, 500–510. , & (
- National Association of School Psychologists (2010). Standards for Graduate Preparation of School Psychologists. Baltimore. MD: Author.
- 2001). Serious emotional disturbance in children and adolescents: Current status and future directions. Behavior Therapy, 32, 667–691. doi: 10.1016/s0005-7894(01)80015-0 (
- 2008). Assessment of children: Cognitive applications (5th ed.). La Mesa, CA.: Jerome M Sattler Publisher. (
- 1991). The social maladjustment exclusion: Issues of definition and assessment. School Psychology Review, 20(4), 580–598. , & (
- 1992). Qualifications vs. logic and data: Excluding conduct disorders from the SED definition. School Psychology Review, 21, 23–28. , & (
- 1994). Opening the floodgates? The social maladjustment exclusion and state SED prevalence rates. Journal of School Psychology, 32, 267–282. , , & (
- 2004). Evaluating the differential treatment of emotional disturbance and social maladjustment. Psychology in the Schools, 41, 879–886. doi: 10.1002/pits.20044 , , & (
- 2005). The children and youth we serve: A national picture of the characteristics of students with emotional disturbances receiving special education. Journal of Emotional & Behavioral Disorders, 13, 79–96. , , , , & (