Biological meaning, statistical significance, and classification of local spatial similarities in nonhomologous proteins
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1994 The Protein Society
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 866–875, June 1994
How to Cite
Alexandrov, N. N. and Gō, N. (1994), Biological meaning, statistical significance, and classification of local spatial similarities in nonhomologous proteins. Protein Science, 3: 866–875. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560030601
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 APR 1994
- Manuscript Received: 30 NOV 1993
- 1988. A simple qualitative representation of polypeptide chain folds: Comparison of protein tertiary structures. J Biomol Struct & Dyn 5: 1267–1279. , .
- 1987. Protein Data Bank. In: AllenFH, BergerhoffG, SieversR, eds. Crystallographic databases: Information, content, software systems, scientific applications. Bonn/Chester/Cambridge: International Union of Crystallography. pp 107–132. , , , , .
- 1992. Local multiple alignment by consensus matrix. CABIOS 8: 339–345. .
- 1992. Common spatial arrangements of backbone fragments in homologous and non-homologous proteins. J Mol Biol 225: 5–9. , ,
- 1977. The Protein Data Bank: A computer-based archival file for macromolecular structures. J Mol Biol 112: 535–542. , , , , , , , ,
- 1980. Relation between structure and function of α/β proteins. Q Rev Biophys 13: 317–338. .
- 1992. One thousand families for the molecular biologist. Nature 357: 543–544.
- 1990. The classification and origins of protein fold patterns. Annu Rev Biochem 59: 1007–1039. , .
- 1990. The evolution of α/β barrel enzymes. Trends Biochem Sci 15: 228–234. , .
- 1987. Why do globular proteins fit the limited set of folding patterns? Progr Biophys Mol Biol 50: 171–190. , .
- 1992. An efficient automated computer vision based technique for detection of three dimensional structural motifs in proteins. J Biomol Struct & Dyn 9: 769–789. , , ,
- 1985. Three-dimensional structure of poliovirus at 2.9 Å resolution. Science 229: 1358–1365. , , .
- 1993a. Structural alignment of globins, phycocyanins and colicin A. FEBS Lett 315: 301–306. ,
- 1993b. Protein structure comparison by alignment of distance matrices. J Mol Biol 233: 123–138. ,
- 1987. Molecular structure of the bilin binding protein (BBP) from Pieris brassicae after refinement at 2.0 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 198: 499–513. , , , , , , , ,
- 1991. MOLSCRIPT: A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structures. J Appl Crystallogr 24: 946–950. .
- 1988. Crystal structure of enolase indicates that enolase and pyruvate kinase evolved from a common ancestor. Nature 333: 683–686. ,
- 1976. Structural patterns in globular proteins. Nature 261: 552–558. ,
- 1994. Significance of RMSD in comparing three-dimensional structures of globular proteins. J Mol Biol 235: 625–634. , .
- 1989. Use of techniques derived from graph theory to compare secondary structure motifs in proteins. J Mol Biol 212: 151–166. , , ,
- 1992. Protein architecture: New superfamilies. Curr Opin Struct Biol 2: 895–903. ,
- 1993. Identification and classification of protein fold families. Protein Eng 6: 485–500. , , , .
- 1990. Tertiary structural constraints on protein evolutionary diversity: Templates, key residues and structural prediction. Proc R Soc Lond B 241: 146–152. , , , .
- 1992. A data bank merging related protein structures and sequences. Protein Eng 5: 121–137. ,
- 1990. Quantitative organization of the known protein X-ray structures. I. Methods and short-length-scale results. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 7: 378–402.
- 1981. The anatomy and taxonomy of protein structures. Adv Protein Chem 34: 167–339. .
- 1989. Definition of general topological equivalence in protein structures. J Mol Biol 212: 403–428. , .
- 1990. Structural studies of protein-nucleic acid interaction: The sources of sequence-specific binding. Q Rev Biophys 23: 205–280. .
- 1989. Protein structure alignment. J Mol Biol 208: 1–22. , .
- 1991. Detection of common three-dimensional substructures in proteins. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 11: 52–58. ,
- 1993. Families and the structural relatedness among globular proteins. Protein Sci 2: 884–899. , .