Conservation of polyproline II helices in homologous proteins: Implications for structure prediction by model building
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1994 The Protein Society
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 2395–2410, December 1994
How to Cite
Adzhubei, A. A. and Sternberg, M. J.E. (1994), Conservation of polyproline II helices in homologous proteins: Implications for structure prediction by model building. Protein Science, 3: 2395–2410. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560031223
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 OCT 1994
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUL 1994
- 1987a. Third type of secondary structure: Noncooperative mobile conformation. Protein Data Bank analysis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 146: 934–938. , , , , , .
- 1987b. Approaching a complete classification of protein secondary structure. J Biomol Struct Dynam 5: 689–704. , , , , , .
- 1994. An approach to protein modelling based on an ensemble of structures solved by NMR: A structural model for the Sox-5 HMG-box protein. , ,
- 1993. Left-handed polyproline II helices commonly occur in globular proteins. J Mol Biol 229: 472–493. , .
- 1987. A novel secondary structure in globular proteins comprising the collagen-like helix and β-turn. J Mol Biol 198: 705–709. , ,
- 1968. The structure of poly-L-proline II. Acta Crystallogr B 24: 599–601. , .
- 1987. Evaluation and improvements in the automatic alignment of protein sequences. Protein Eng 1: 89–94. , .
- 1989. Crystal structure of bovine beta-trypsin at 1.5 Å resolution in a crystal form with low molecular packing density. Active site geometry, ion pairs and solvent structure. J Mol Biol 210: 813–828. , , .
- 1992. From protein sequence to structure. In: ReesAR, SternbergMJE, WetzelR, eds. Protein engineering—A practical approach. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. pp 117–141. , .
- 1977. The Protein Data Bank: A computer-based archival file for macromolecular structures. J Mol Biol 112: 535–542. , , , , , , , ,
- 1993. Catching a common fold. Protein Sci 2: 877–883. , .
- 1987. Knowledge-based prediction of protein structures and the design of novel molecules. Nature 326: 347–352. , , , .
- 1983. Refined 2 Å X-ray crystal structure of porcine pancreatic kallikrein A, a specific trypsin-like serine proteinase. Crystallization, structure determination, crystallographic refinement, structure and its comparison with bovine trypsin. J Mol Biol 164: 237–282. , , , , ,
- 1986. The relation between the divergence of sequence and structure in proteins. EMBO J 5: 823–826. , .
- 1990. X-ray analyses of aspartic proteases. II. Three-dimensional structure of the hexagonal crystal form of porcine pepsin at 2.3 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 214: 199–222. , , , , .
- 1955. Structure of poly-L-proline. Nature 176: 501–503. ,
- 1981. Crystallographic refinement and atomic models of a human Fc fragment and its complex with fragment B of protein A from Staphylococcus aureus at 2.9-and 2.8-Å resolution. Biochemistry 20: 2361–2370.
- 1992. Hydration of polyproline II type lefthelical conformation. Monte Carlo study. Biophysica (Moscow) 37: 62–67. , , , .
- 1984. The crystal structure of human deoxyhaemoglobin at 1.74 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 175: 159–174. , , ,
- 1993. Comparison of conformational characteristics in structurally similar protein pairs. Protein Sci 2: 1811–1826. , , , .
- 1985. Refined structure of alpha-lytic protease at 1.7 Å resolution. Analysis of hydrogen bonding and solvent structure. J Mol Biol 181: 479–502. , , , .
- 1987. Rat submaxillary gland serine protease, tonin. Structure solution and refinement at 1.8 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 195: 373–396. , .
- 1990. The three-dimensional structure of recombinant bovine chymosin at 2.3 Å resolution. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 5: 82–101. , , ,
- 1981. Comparative model-building of the mammalian serine proteases. J Mol Biol 153: 1027–1042.
- 1990. Comparative modelling methods: Application to the family of the mammalian serine proteases. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 7: 317–334.
- 1993. Structural relationships of homologous proteins as a fundamental principle in homology modelling. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 17: 138–151. , .
- 1992. A database of protein structure families with common folding motifs. Protein Sci 1: 1691–1698. , , , ,
- 1983. Structure and refinement of penicillopepsin at 1.8 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 163: 299–361. , .
- 1986. Using known substructures in protein model building and crystallography. EMBO J 5: 819–822. ,
- 1983. Dictionary of protein secondary structure: Pattern recognition of hydrogen-bonded and geometrical features. Biopolymers 22: 2577–2637. ,
- 1991. Conformational analysis of a IgG1 hinge peptide derivative in solution determined by NMR spectroscopy and refined by restrained molecular dynamics simulations. Biopolymers 31: 1189–1204. , , , ,
- 1991. MOLSCRIPT: A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structures. J Appl Crystallogr 24: 946–950.
- 1980. How different amino acid sequences determine similar protein structures: The structure and evolutionary dynamics of the globins. J Mol Biol 136: 225–270. ,
- 1994. Critical residues in an SH3 domain from Sem-5 suggest a mechanism for proline-rich peptide recognition. Nature Struct Biol 1: 221–225. , .
- 1992. The three-dimensional structure of HLA-B27 at 2.1 Å resolution suggests a general mechanism for tight peptide binding to MHC. Cell 70: 1035–1048. , , , .
- 1992. Natural polypeptides in left-handed helical conformation. FEBS Lett 306: 63–65. , , , .
- 1980. Crystallographic refinement and atomic models of the intact immunoglobulin molecule Kol and its antigen-binding fragment at 3.0 Å and 1.0 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 141: 369–391. , , ,
- 1982. Molecular structure of a new family of ribonucleases. Nature 297: 162–164. , , , , ,
- 1972. A mathematical procedure for superimposing atomic coordinates of proteins. Acta Crystallogr A 28: 656. .
- 1988. Structure of native porcine pancreatic elastase at 1.65 Å resolution. Acta Crystallogr B 44: 26–38. , ,
- 1989. Structure of complex of synthetic HIV-1 protease with a substrate-based inhibitor at 2.3 Å resolution. Science 246: 1149–1152. , , , , , , , ,
- 1985. Electron density calculations as an extension of protein structure refinement. Streptomyces griseus protease at 1.5 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 182: 555–566. , , .
- 1989. Structure of human neutrophil elastase in complex with a peptide chloromethyl ketone inhibitor at 1.84 Å resolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 7–11. , , , , , , ,
- 1993. Identification and classification of protein fold families. Protein Eng 6: 485–500. , , , .
- 1984. The active site of aspartic proteinases. FEBS Lett 174: 96–101. , .
- 1968. Three-dimensional Fourier synthesis of horse oxyhae-moglobin at 2.8 Å resolution: (1) X-ray analysis. Nature 219: 29–32. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Evaluation of the sequence template method for protein structure prediction. J Mol Biol 228: 170–187. , , .
- 1988. Refined crystal structure of Streptomyces griseus trypsin at 1.7 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 200: 523–551. , .
- 1988. The structure of rat mast cell protease II at 1.9 Å resolution. Biochemistry 27: 8097–8105. , , , ,
- 1988. Identification of structural motifs from protein coordinate data: Secondary structure and first-level supersecondary structure. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 3: 71–84. , .
- 1989. Principles and patterns of protein conformation. In: FasmanGD, ed. Prediction of protein structure and the principles of protein conformation. New York: Plenum Press. pp 1–98. , .
- 1991. Database of homology-derived protein structures and the structural meaning of sequence alignment. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 9: 56–68. ,
- 1991. Correlations between the conformations elucidated by CD spectroscopy and the antigenic properties of four peptides of the foot-and-mouth disease virus. Eur J Biochem 199: 545–551. , , , , , .
- 1989. Describing protein structure: A general algorithm yielding complete helicoidal parameters and a unique overall axis. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 6: 46–60. , ,
- 1992. Molecular dynamics simulations of polypeptide conformations in water: A comparison of α, β and PII conformations. Biophys J 61: A462. , .
- 1994. Poly(Pro)II helices in globular proteins: Identification and circular dichroic analysis. Biochemistry 33: 10022–10025. , .
- 1977. Homology among acid proteases: Comparison of crystal structures at 3 Å resolution of acid proteases from Rhizopus chinensis and Endothia parasitica. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74: 556–559. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Structure and refinement at 1.8 Å resolution of the aspartic proteinase from Rhizopus chinensis. J Mol Biol 196: 877–900. , , , , , , .
- 1986. The galactan-binding immunoglobulin FAB J539: An X-ray diffraction study at 2.6-Å resolution. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 1: 74–80. , , , , , , .
- 1987a. Knowledge based modelling of homologous proteins, part 1: Three-dimensional frameworks derived from the simultaneous superposition of multiple structures. Protein Eng 1: 377–384. , , , .
- 1987b. Knowledge based modelling of homologous proteins, part II: Rules for the conformation of substituted sidechains. Protein Eng 1: 385–392. , , .
- 1989a. A holistic approach to protein structure alignment. Protein Eng 2: 505–519. , .
- 1989b. Protein structure alignment. J Mol Biol 208: 1–22. , .
- 1985. Structure of α-chymotrypsin refined at 1.68 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 184: 703–711. , .
- 1992. Circular dichroism and conformation of unordered polypeptides. Adv Biophys Chem 2: 37–79. .
- 1993. Families and the structural relatedness among globular proteins. Protein Sci 2: 884–899. , .
- 1994. Structural basis for the binding of proline-rich peptides to SH3 domains. Cell 76: 933–945. , , , , , .