A.M. Krezel and C. Kasibhatla contributed equally to this work.
Solution structure of the potassium channel inhibitor agitoxin 2: Caliper for probing channel geometry
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1995 The Protein Society
Volume 4, Issue 8, pages 1478–1489, August 1995
How to Cite
Krezel, A. M., Kasibhatla, C., Hidalgo, P., Mackinnon, R. and Wagner, G. (1995), Solution structure of the potassium channel inhibitor agitoxin 2: Caliper for probing channel geometry. Protein Science, 4: 1478–1489. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560040805
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 MAY 1995
- Manuscript Received: 28 FEB 1995
- 1980. A two-dimensional nuclear Over-hauser enhancement (2D NOE) experiment for the elucidation of complete proton-proton cross-relaxation networks in biological macromolecules. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 95: 1–6. , ,
- 1991. An alternative 3D NMR technique for correlating backbone 15N with side chain H β resonances in larger proteins. J Magn Reson 95: 636–641. , , ,
- 1994. Rules for α-helix termination by glycine. Science 264: 1126–1130. , , .
- 1980. Natural abundance nitrogen-15 NMR by enhanced heteronuclear spectroscopy. Chem Phys Lett 69: 185–189. , .
- 1992. Two-dimensional 1H NMR study of recombinant insect defensin A in water: Resonance assignments, secondary structure and global folding. J Biomol NMR 2: 235–256. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1992. Analysis of side-chain organization on a refined model of charybdotoxin: Structural and functional implications. Biochemistry 31: 7756–7764. , , , ,
- 1991a Three-dimensional structure of natural charybdotoxin in aqueous solution by 1H-NMR. Charybdotoxin possesses a structural motif found in other scorpion toxins. Eur J Biochem 196: 19–28. , , , , , ,
- 1991b Refined structure of charybdotoxin: Common motifs in scorpion toxins and insect defensins. Science 254: 1521–1523. , , , ,
- 1983. Coherence transfer by isotropic mixing: Application to proton correlation spectroscopy. J Magn Reson 53: 521–528. , .
- 1994. Kaliotoxin (1–37) shows structural differences with related potassium channel blockers. Biochemistry 33: 14256–14263. , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Purification and characterization of three inhibitors of voltage-dependent K+ channels from Leiurus quinquestriatus var. hebraeus venom. Biochemistry 33: 6834–6839. , , , ,
- 1992. Mechanism of iberiotoxin block of the large-conductance calcium-activated potassium channel from bovine aortic smooth muscle. Biochemistry 31: 6719–6727. , , .
- 1991. An evaluation of computational strategies for use in the determination of protein structure from distance constraints obtained by nuclear magnetic resonance. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 56: 43–78. .
- 1995. Revealing the architecture of a K + channel pore through mutant cycles with a peptide inhibitor. Science 268: 307–310. ,
- 1992. The solution structure of eglin c based on measurements of many NOEs and coupling constants and its comparison with X-ray structures. Protein Sci 1: 736–751. , , ,
- IUPAC-IUB Commission on Biochemical Nomenclature. 1970. Abbreviations and symbols for the description of the conformation of polypeptide chains. J Mol Biol 52: 1–17.
- 1979. Investigation of exchange processes by two-dimensional NMR spectroscopy. J Chem Phys 71: 4546–4553. , , , .
- 1994. Determination of the three-dimensional structure of margatoxin by 1H, 13C, 15N triple-resonance nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Biochemistry 33: 15061–15070. , , .
- 1992. Determination of the three-dimensional structure of iberiotoxin in solution by 1H nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Biochemistry 31: 8151–8159. , .
- 1991. MOLSCRIPT: A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structures. J Appl Crystallogr 24: 946–950. .
- 1993. PROCHECK: A program to check the stereochemical quality of protein structures. J Appl Crystallogr 26: 283–291. , , , .
- 1991. Determination of the subunit stoichiometry of a voltage-activated potassium channel. Nature 350: 232–235.
- 1988. Mechanism of charybdotoxin block of the high-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel. J Gen Physiol 91: 335–349. ,
- 1989. Functional modification of a Ca2+-activated K+ channel by trimethyloxonium. Biochemistry 28: 8087–8092. ,
- 1993. Improved pulse sequences for measuring coupling constants in 13C, 15N-labeled proteins. J Biomol NMR 3: 239–244. , , , .
- 1993. Solution Structure of PO5-NH2, a scorpion toxin analog with high affinity for the apamin-sensitive potassium channel. Biochemistry 32: 11969–11976. , , , , , ,
- 1988. Competition for block of a Ca2+-activated K+ channel by charybdotoxin and tetraethylammonium. Neuron 1: 1003–1006.
- 1985. Charybdotoxin, a protein inhibitor of single Ca2+-activated channels from mammalian skeletal muscle. Nature 313: 316–318. , , ,
- 1991. Design, synthesis and functional expressions of a gene for charybdotoxin, a peptide blocker of K+ channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 2046–2050. , ,
- 1982. Multiple quantum filters for elucidating NMR coupling networks. J Am Chem Soc 104: 6800–6801. , , .
- 1963. Stereochemistry of polypeptide chain configurations. J Mol Biol 7: 95–99. , ,
- 1983. Improved spectral resolution in COSY 1H NMR spectra. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 117: 479–485. , , , , ,
- 1983. Simplification of NMR spectra by filtration through multiple-quantum coherence. J Magn Reson 51: 169–173. ,
- 1994. Intimations of K + channel structure from a complete functional map of the molecular surface of charybdotoxin. Biochemistry 33: 443–450. , ,
- 1993. Quantitative J correlation: A new approach for measuring homonuclear three-bond J(HNH α) coupling constants in 15N-enriched proteins. J Am Chem Soc 115: 7772–7777. ,
- 1990. NMR investigations of protein structure. Prog Nucl Magn Reson Spectrosc 22: 101–139.
- 1982. Sequential resonance assignments in protein 1H nuclear magnetic resonance spectra. Basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. J Mol Biol 155: 347–366. ,
- 1993. Structure of the glycosylated adhesion domain of human T lymphocyte glycoprotein CD2. Structure 1: 69–81. , , , , , .
- 1986. NMR of proteins and nucleic acids. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- 1992. Structure of scorpion toxin variant-3 at 1.2 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 227: 239–252. , , , .