Denaturant m values and heat capacity changes: Relation to changes in accessible surface areas of protein unfolding
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1995 The Protein Society
Volume 4, Issue 10, pages 2138–2148, October 1995
How to Cite
Myers, J. K., Nick Pace, C. and Martin Scholtz, J. (1995), Denaturant m values and heat capacity changes: Relation to changes in accessible surface areas of protein unfolding. Protein Science, 4: 2138–2148. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560041020
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUL 1995
- Manuscript Received: 15 MAY 1995
- The National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: R01 GM37039 to C.N.P. and R29 GM52483 to J.M.S.
- The Robert A. Welch foundation. Grant Number: A-1060 to C.N.P. and A-1281 to J.M.S.
- NIH. Grant Number: T32 GM08523
- 1995. Thermodynamics of denaturation of barstar: Evidence for cold denaturation and evaluation of the interaction with guanidine hydrochloride. Biochemistry 34: 3286–3299. , .
- 1982. Estimation of the free energy of stabilization of ribonuclease A, lysozyme,α-lactalbumin and myoglobin. J Biol Chem 257: 12935–12938. , .
- 1986. Estimation of the stability of globular proteins. Biopolymers 25: 1623–1633. , .
- 1994. A new method for testing the functional dependence of unfolding free energy changes on denaturant concentration. J Biochem 115: 322–327. , , , .
- 1990. Protein stability and electrostatic interactions between solvent exposed charged side chains. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 8: 23–29. ,
- 1992. Thermodynamic analysis of the folding of the streptococcal protein G IgG-binding domains B1 and B 2: Why small proteins tend to have high denaturation temperatures. Biochemistry 31: 3597–3603. , , , ,
- 1991. Solvent denaturation and stabilization of globular proteins. Biochemistry 30: 5974–5985. , .
- 1969. Thermodynamics of the denaturation of lysozyme by guanidine hydrochloride II. Dependence on denaturant concentration at 25°. Biochemistry 8: 4586–4590. ,
- 1993. Three-state analysis of sperm whale apomyoglobin folding. Biochemistry 32: 3790–3796. , .
- 1987. Protein stability curves. Biopolymers 26: 1859–1877. , .
- 1988. Unfolding free energy changes determined by the linear extrapolation method. 2. Incorporation of Δ Gon-u values in a thermodynamic cycle. Biochemistry 27: 8069–8074. , .
- 1989. Equilibrium dissociation and unfolding of the arc repressor dimer. Biochemistry 28: 7139–7143. , .
- 1991. NonLin for Macintosh. Carbondale, Illinois: Robelko Software. .
- 1985. Refolding a disulfide dimer of cytochrome c. Biochemistry 24: 3459–3464. , ,
- 1994. Thermodynamics of staphylococcal nuclease denaturation. I. The acid denatured state. Protein Sci 3: 944–951. , , .
- 1995. Energetics of denaturation and m values of staphylococcal nuclease mutants. Biochemistry 34: 2034–2041. , .
- 1993. Engineered disulfide bonds as probes of the folding pathway of barnase: Increasing the stability of proteins against the rate of denaturation. Biochemistry 32: 4322–4329. , .
- 1994. Stability of yeast iso-1-ferricytochrome c as a function of pH and temperature. Protein Sci 3: 1253–1260. , .
- 1987. Conformation, stability, and folding of interleukin 1 β. Biochemistry 26: 3570–3576. , , , .
- 1994. Equilibrium unfolding of Escherichia coli ribonuclease H: Characterization of a partially folded state. Protein Sci 3 T401–1408. ,
- 1993. Aggregation and denaturation of apomyoglobin in aqueous urea solutions. Biochemistry 32: 3877–3886. , , .
- 1991. Denatured states of proteins. Annu Rev Biochem 60: 795–825. ,
- 1991. Is the hydrophobic effect stabilizing or destabilizing in proteins? The contribution of disulphide bonds to protein stability. J Mol Biol 217: 389–398. , .
- 1993. Equilibrium denaturation of recombinant human FK binding protein in urea. Biochemistry 32: 1920–1927. , , , , , .
- 1993. Thermodynamic analysis of the chemotactic protein from Escherichia coli, che Y. Biochemistry 32: 12906–12921. , , , , ,
- 1990. Folding and stability of trp aporepres-sor from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry 29: 7011–7020. , .
- 1992. Use of protein unfolding studies to determine the conformational and dimeric stabilities of HIV-1 and SIV proteases. Biochemistry 31: 9491–9501. , , , , , , , .
- 1974. Urea and guanidine hydrochloride denaturation of ribonuclease, lysozyme, α-chymotrypsin, and β-lactoglobulin. J Biol Chem 249: 5388–5393. , .
- 1994. Thermodynamics of barnase unfolding. Protein Sci 3: 669–676. , , , .
- 1994. Comparison of the conformational stability of the molten globule and native states of horse cytochrome c. J Mol Biol 234: 336–348. , ,
- 1992. Role of proline residues in human lysozyme stability: A scanning calorimetric study combined with X-ray structure analysis of proline mutants. Biochemistry 31: 7077–7085. , , , , ,
- 1992a Differential scanning calorimetric study of the thermal unfolding of mutant forms of phage T4 lysozyme. Biochemistry 31: 1643–1647. , , , .
- 1992b Thermodynamics of ribonuclease T1 denaturation. Biochemistry 31: 4876–4882. , , , , .
- 1990. Denaturant-dependent folding of bovine pancreatic trypsin inhibitor mutants with two intact disulfide bonds. Biochemistry 29: 4410–4419. , , , , .
- 1993. Effect of cavity-creating mutations in the hydrophobic core of chymotrypsin inhibitor 2. Biochemistry 32: 11259–11269. , , , , .
- 1995. Protein stability as a function of denaturant concentration: The thermal stability of barnase in the presence of urea. Biochemistry 34: 6795–6804. , .
- 1985. Nonlinear least-squares analysis. Methods Enzymol 117: 301–342. , .
- 1987. Equilibrium and kinetic measurements of the conformational transition of reduced thioredoxin. Biochemistry 26: 1406–1411. , , ,
- 1990. A comparative study of the unfolding thermodynamics of vertebrate metmyoglobins. Biochemistry 29: 5062–5069. , .
- 1993. Folding and stability of a tryptophan-containing mutant of ubiquitin. Biochemistry 32: 7054–7063. , , ,
- 1971. The interpretation of protein structures: Estimation of static accessibility. J Mol Biol 55: 379–400. , .
- 1990. Hydrophobicity of amino acid subgroups in proteins. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 8: 6–13. , .
- 1993. Genetic fusion of subunits of a dimeric protein substantially enhances its stability and rate of folding. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 7010–7014. , , .
- 1992. Structural and energetic consequences of disruptive mutations in a protein core. Biochemistry 31: 4324–4333. , , .
- 1991. Contribution to the thermodynamics of protein folding from the reduction in water-accessible surface area. Biochemistry 30: 4237–4244. , , .
- 1994. Thermodynamics of unfolding of the all β-sheet protein interleukin-1β. Biochemistry 33: 9327–9332. , , , .
- 1992. Protein interactions with urea and guanidinium chloride. A calorimetric study. J Mol Biol 226: 491–505. , .
- 1994. Contributions of a hydrogen bond/salt bridge network to the stability of secondary and tertiary structure in λ repressor. Protein Sci 3: 2217–2225. , .
- 1993. Stabilization of a protein by guanidinium chloride. Biochemistry 32: 7994–7998. , .
- 1978. Equilibrium and kinetic studies of unfolding of homologous cytochromes c. J Biol Chem 253: 4004–4008. ,
- 1987. Interior and surface of monomeric proteins. J Mol Biol 96: 641–656. , ,
- 1985. Effects of sulphate and urea on the stability and reversible unfolding of ö-lactamase from Staphylococcus aureus. J Mol Biol 184: 331–342. , .
- 1994. Protein denaturation with guanidine hydrochloride or urea provides a different estimate of stability depending on the contributions of electrostatic interactions. Protein Sci 3: 1984–1991. , , .
- 1994. Redesigning the hydrophobic core of a four-helix-bundle protein. Protein Sci 3: 2015–2022. , , ,
- 1992. Thermodynamics of structural stability and cooperative folding behavior in proteins. Adv Protein Chem 43: 313–361. ,
- 1995. Thermodynamic genetics of the folding of the B1 immunoglobulin-binding domain from streptococcal protein G. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 21: 11–21. , , , .
- 1975. The stability of globular proteins. CRC Crit Rev Biochem 3: 1–43. .
- 1986. Determination and analysis of urea and guanidine hydrochloride denaturation curves. Methods Enzymol 131: 266–280. .
- 1992. Urea denaturation of barnase: pH dependence and characterization of the unfolded state. Biochemistry 31: 2728–2734. , , .
- 1990. pH dependence of the urea and guanidine hydrochloride denaturation of ribonuclease A and ribonuclease T1. Biochemistry 29: 2564–2572. , , .
- 1979. Determining globular protein stability: Guanidine hydrochloride denaturation of myoglobin. Biochemistry 18: 288–292. , .
- 1987. Effect of single amino acid replacements on the folding and stability of dihydrofolate reductase from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry 26: 2674–2682. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1981. Interactions of proteins with solvent components in 8 M urea. Arch Biochem Biophys 210: 455–464. , , , , .
- 1988. Stability of protein structure and hydrophobic interaction. Adv Protein Chem 39: 191–234. , .
- 1986. Guanidine hydrochloride induced equilibrium unfolding of mutant forms of iso-1-cytochrome c with replacement of proline-71. Biochemistry 25: 6952–6958. , , .
- 1977. Areas, volumes, packing, and protein structure. Annu Rev Biophys Bioeng 6: 151–176. .
- 1995. Role of the C-terminal helix in the folding and stability of yeast phosphoglycerate kinase. Biochemistry 34: 833–841. , , , , , , ,
- 1990. Folding of a predominantly β-structure protein: Rat intestinal fatty acid binding protein. Biochemistry 29: 9591–9599. , ,
- 1983. Comparative study of GuHCl denaturation of globular proteins. II. A phenomenological classification of denaturation profiles of 17 proteins. Biopolymers 22: 2123–2132. ,
- 1988. Unfolding free energy changes determined by the linear extrapolation method. 1. Unfolding of phenylmethanesulfonyl α-chymotrypsin using different denaturants. Biochemistry 27: 8063–8068. , .
- 1992. A test of the linear extrapolation of unfolding free energy changes over an extended denaturant concentration range. Biochemistry 31: 4901–4907. , .
- 1978. Solvent denaturation. Biopolymers 17: 1305–1322. .
- 1987. Selective binding and solvent denaturation. Biopolymers 26: 549–559. .
- 1995. Conformational stability of HPr: The histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein from Bacillus subtilis. Protein Sci 4: 35–43. .
- 1995. Urea unfolding of peptide helices as a model for interpreting protein unfolding. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 185–189. , , , , .
- 1992. Contribution of hydrogen bonding to the conformational stability of ribonuclease T1. Biochemistry 31: 725–732. , , , .
- 1995. Staphylococcal nuclease: A showcase of m-value effects. Adv Protein Chem 46: 217–247.
- 1986. Mutant forms of staphylococcal nuclease with altered patterns of guanidine hydrochloride and urea denaturation. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 1: 81–89. , .
- 1988. Stability mutants of staphylococcal nuclease: Large compensating enthalpy-entropy changes for the reversible denaturation reaction. Biochemistry 27: 4761–4768. , ,
- 1989. Effects of denaturants at low concentrations on the reversible denaturation of staphylococcal nuclease. Arch Biochem Biophys 272: 103–113. , , .
- 1992. Use of liquid hydrocarbon and amide transfer data to estimate contributions to thermodynamic functions of protein folding from the removal of nonpolar and polar surface from water. Biochemistry 31: 3947–3955. , , .
- 1988. Folding of homologous proteins: Conservation of the folding mechanism of the α subunit of tryptophan synthase from Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium, and five interspecies hybrids. Biochemistry 27: 824–832. , , , , .
- 1993. The energetics and cooperativity of protein folding: A simple experimental analysis based upon the solvation of internal residues. Biochemistry 32: 3842–3851. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Thermodynamics of unfolding for turkey ovomucoid third domain: Thermal and chemical denaturation. Protein Sci 2: 2037–2049. , .
- 1970. Protein denaturation part C: Theoretical models for the mechanism of denaturation. Adv Protein Chem 24: 1–95.
- 1992. Folding mechanism of mutant human lysozyme C77/95A with increased secretion efficiency in yeast. J Bio! Chem 267: 4619–4624. , , ,
- 1988. Mechanism of adenylate kinase. Histidine-36 is not directly involved in catalysis, but protects cystine-25 and stabilizes the tertiary structure. Biochemistry 27: 5544–5552. , , , , .
- 1994. Thermodynamic and kinetic analysis of the SH3 domain of spectrin shows a two-state folding transition. Biochemistry 33: 2142–2150. , , , ,
- 1994. Thermodynamics of ubiquitin unfolding. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 18: 246–253. , , .
- 1992. Measuring the conformational stability of proteins. Indian J Chem 31: 859–864. , ,
- 1995. How valid are denaturant-induced unfolding free energy measurements? Level of conformance to common assumptions over an extended range of ribonuclease A stability. Biochemistry 34: 3771–3781. , .
- 1994. Energetics of ribonuclease Tl structure. Biochemistry 33: 3312–3319. , , , .
- 1991. Role of conserved proline residues in stabilizing tryptophan synthase α subunit: Analysis by mutants with alanine or glycine. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 9: 90–98. , , ,
- 1993. Circular permutation of T4 lysozyme. Biochemistry 32: 12311–12318. , , ,