Protein design automation
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1996 The Protein Society
Volume 5, Issue 5, pages 895–903, May 1996
How to Cite
Dahiyat, B. I. and Mayo, S. L. (1996), Protein design automation. Protein Science, 5: 895–903. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560050511
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 FEB 1996
- Manuscript Received: 5 DEC 1995
- Rita Allen Foundation
- Chandler Family Trust
- Booth Ferris Foundation
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Searle Scholars Program/The Chicago Community Trust. B.I.D.. Grant Number: GM 08346
- 1992. Refined 1.8 angstrom crystal structure of the lambda repressor operator complex. J Mol Biol 227: 177–196. , .
- 1977. The Protein Data Bank: A computer-based archival file for macromolecular structures. J Mol Biol 112: 535–542. , , , , , , , ,
- 1991. A method to identify protein sequences that fold into a known three-dimensional structure. Science 253: 164–170. , ,
- 1980. Biophysical chemistry. New York: W. H. Freeman and Company. , .
- 1995. Structure of a hyperthermophilic tungstopterin enzyme, aldehyde ferredoxin oxi-doreductase. Science 267: 1463–1469. , , , , .
- 1990. α-Helical coiled coils and bundles: How to design an α-helical protein. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 7: 1–15. , .
- 1983. Solvent accessible surfaces of proteins and nucleic acids. Science 221: 709–713. .
- 1989. Protein design, a minimalist approach. Science 243: 622–628. , , .
- 1995. De novo design of the hydrophobic cores of proteins. Protein Sci 4: 2006–2018. , .
- 1992. The dead-end elimination theorem and its use in protein side-chain positioning. Nature 356: 539–542. , , ,
- 1994. The dead-end elimination theorem: A new approach to the side-chain packing problem. In: MerzK, Jr, Le GrandS, eds. The protein folding problem and tertiary structure prediction. Boston: Birkhauser. pp 307–337. , ,
- 1990. Dominant forces in protein folding. Biochemistry 29: 7133–7155. .
- 1986. Solvation energy in protein folding and binding. Nature 319: 199–203. , .
- 1980. Iterative partial equalization of orbital electronegativity—A rapid access to atomic charges. Tetrahedron 36: 3219–3288. ,
- 1994. Efficient rotamer elimination applied to protein side-chains and related spin-glasses. Biophys J 66: 1335–1340. .
- 1991. Periodicity of amide proton exchange rates in a coiled-coil leucine zipper peptide. Biochemistry 30: 11615–11620. , .
- 1993. Metal ion-dependent modulation of the dynamics of a designed protein. Science 261: 879–885. , , .
- 1993. A switch between two-, three-, and four-stranded coiled coils in GCN4 leucine zipper mutants. Science 262: 1401–1407. , , ,
- 1990. De novo design, expression and characterization of Felix — A four helix bundle protein of native like sequence. Science 249: 884–891. , , , .
- 1994. Optimal sequence selection in proteins of known structure by simulated evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 5803–5807. , .
- 1985. Computer assisted drug design. J Med Chem 28: 1133–1139. .
- 1992. Design and structural analysis of alternative hydrophobic core packing arrangements in bacteriophage T4 lysozyme. J Mol Biol 224: 1143–1154. , , .
- 1993. Effect of a single aspartate on helix stability at different positions in a neutral alanine based peptide. Protein Sci 2: 1604–1611. , , .
- 1994. De novo protein design using pairwise potentials and a genetic algorithm. Protein Sci 3: 567–574. .
- 1993. Protein design by binary patterning of polar and nonpolar amino acids. Science 262: 1680–1685. , , , , .
- 1994. Energy minimization method using automata network for sequence and side-chain conformation prediction from given backbone geometry. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 19: 244–255. ,
- 1971. The interpretation of protein structures: Estimation of static accessibility. J Mol Biol 55: 379–400. , .
- 1991. Accurate prediction of the stability and activity effects of site-directed mutagenesis on a protein core. Nature 352: 448–451. ,
- 1991. The role of internal packing interactions in determining the structure and stability of a protein. J Mol Biol 219: 359–376. , .
- 1990. Dreiding-A generic force-field for molecular simulations. J Phys Chem 94: 8897–8890. , ,
- 1953. Equation of state calculations by fast computing machines. J Chem Phys 21: 1087–1092. , , , ,
- 1990. Secondary structure of a leucine zipper determined by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Biochemistry 29: 2891–2894. , , , , .
- 1991. X-ray structure of the GCN4 leucine zipper, a two-stranded, parallel coiled coil. Science 254: 539–544. , , ,
- 1983. Designing proteins and peptides. Nature 301: 200. .
- 1992. MSEED: A program for the rapid analytical determination of accessible surface areas and their derivatives. J Compul Chem 13: 1–11. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. A designed metal-binding protein with a novel fold. Nature 362: 367–369. , , , , ,
- 1995. Structure-based design of transcription factors. Science 267: 92–96. , , .
- 1987. Tertiary templates for proteins —Use of packing criteria in the enumeration of allowed sequences for different structural classes. J Mol Biol 193: 775–791. , .
- 1994. Betadoublet —De novo design, synthesis and characterization of a beta-sandwich protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 8747–8751. , , , , .
- 1991. Charge equilibration for molecular dynamics simulations. J Phys Chem 95: 3358–3363. ,
- 1988. Characterization of a helical protein designed from first principles. Science 241: 976–978. , .
- 1994. Application of genetic function approximation to quantitative structure-property relationships. J Chem Inf Comput Sci 34: 854–866. , .
- 1992. Prediction of the activity and stability effects of site-directed mutagenesis on a protein core. J Mol Biol 227: 389–395. , .
- 1992. Atomic solvation parameters applied to molecular dynamics of proteins in solution. Protein Sci 1: 227–235. ,