Energetics of hydrogen bonding in proteins: A model compound study
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1996 The Protein Society
Volume 5, Issue 7, pages 1229–1239, July 1996
How to Cite
Habermann, S. M. and Murphy, K. P. (1996), Energetics of hydrogen bonding in proteins: A model compound study. Protein Science, 5: 1229–1239. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560050702
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 APR 1996
- Manuscript Received: 10 JAN 1996
- 1984. Hydrogen bonding in globular proteins. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 44: 97–179. , .
- 1986. Temperature dependence of the hydrophobic interaction in protein folding. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 8069–8072. .
- 1969. Crystal and molecular structure of 1-cis-3,6-dimethyl-2,5-piperazinedione. Biopolymers 7: 751–764. , ,
- 1993. Energetic cost and structural consequences of burying a hydroxyl group within the core of a protein determined from Ala → Ser and Val → Thr substitutions in T4 lysozyme. Biochemistry 32: 11363–11373. , , , , , .
- 1991. Test and calibration processes for microcalo-rimeters, with special reference to heat conduction instruments used with aqueous systems. J Biochem Biophys Methods 22: 101–118. ,
- 1981. Group contributions to the thermodynamic properties of non-ionic organic solutes in dilute aqueous solution. J Solution Chem 10: 563–595. , , ,
- 1994. Solvation: Effects of molecular size and shape. J Chem Phys 101: 7007–7026. , .
- 1984. Principles that determine the structure of proteins. Annu Rev Biochem 53: 537–572.
- 1976. Handbook of proton ionization heats and related thermodynamic quantities. New York: John Wiley and Sons. , , .
- 1994. Enthalpy of hydrogen bond formation in a protein-ligand binding reaction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 1964–1968. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1938. The crystal structure of diketopiperazine. J Am Chem Soc 60: 1598–1604. .
- 1959. A refinement of the crystal structure of diketopiperazine (2,5-piperazinedione). Acta Crystallogr 12: 1007–1014. , .
- 1990. Partitioning of nonpolar solutes into bilayers and amorphous n-alkanes. J Phys Chem 94: 801–809. , .
- 1990. The meaning of hydrophobicity. Science 250: 297. .
- 1981. Synthesis, crystal structure and conformation of the cyclic dipeptide cycLo(-L-Seryl-L-seryl-). Acta Crystallogr B 37: 625–629. , , ,
- 1985. Anomalous heat capacity of hydrophobic hydration. J Phys Chem 89: 3758–3761. , , ,
- 1961. Solubility of diketopiperazine in aqueous solutions of urea. J Phys Chem 65: 1432–1435. , , ,
- 1972. Calorimetric study of association of diketopiperazine in water. J Phys Chem 76: 3065–3068. ,
- 1976. An equation of state describing hydrophobic interactions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 73: 2955–2958. ,
- 1995. The heat capacity of proteins. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 22: 404–412. , , ,
- 1994. Volume changes on protein folding. Structure 2: 641–649. , ,
- 1985. Monte Carlo simulations of alkanes in water: Hydration numbers and the hydrophobic effect. J Phys Chem 89: 3470–3473. , ,
- 1993. Solvent water and protein behavior: View through a retro-scope. Protein Sci 2: 1992–1999. .
- 1962. Hydrogen bonds between model peptide groups in solution. J Am Chem Soc 84: 3461–3466. , .
- 1994. Entropy changes in biological processes: Loss of side chain configurational entropy in binding and folding. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 20: 68–84. , , , .
- 1990. Heat capacity of proteins. I. Partial molar heat capacity of individual amino acid residues in aqueous solution: Hydration effect. J Mol Biol 213: 375–384. , .
- 1993. Contribution of hydration to protein folding thermodynamics. I. The enthalpy of hydration. J Mol Biol 232: 639–659. , .
- 1994. Hydration and convergence temperatures: On the use and interpretation of correlation plots. Biophys Chem 51: 311–326. .
- 1992. Thermodynamics of structural stability and cooperative folding behavior in proteins. Adv Protein Chem 43: 313–361. ,
- 1989a. Calorimetric measurement of the enthalpy of dissolution of diketopiperazine in water as a function of temperature. Thermochim Acta 139: 279–290. , .
- 1989b. Thermodynamics of dissolution of cyclic dipeptide solids containing hydrophobic side groups. J Chem Thermo 21: 903–913. , .
- 1990. Group additivity thermodynamics for dissolution of solid cyclic dipeptides into water. Thermochim Acta 172: 11–20. , .
- 1991. Solid model compounds and the thermodynamics of protein unfolding. J Mol Biol 222: 699–709. , .
- 1990. Common features of protein unfolding and dissolution of hydrophobic compounds. Science 247: 559–561. , , .
- 1962. The structure of water and hydrophobic bonding in proteins. III. The thermodynamic properties of hydrophobic bonds in proteins. J Phys Chem 66: 1773–1789. , .
- 1976. Additivity relations for the heat capacities of non-electrolytes in aqueous solution. J Chem Thermo 8: 1081–1093. , , ,
- 1995. Hydrogen-bonding capabilities based on polarizability studies of model peptide systems. J Am Chem Soc 117: 12603–12607. , .
- 1992. Temperature and guanidine hydrochloride dependence of the structural stability of ribonuclease T1. Biochemistry 31: 11196–11202. , ,
- 1990. Heat capacity of proteins. II. Partial molar heat capacity of the unfolded polypeptide chain of proteins: Protein unfolding effects. J Mol Biol 213: 385–391. , .
- 1992. Contribution of hydration and non-covalent interactions to the heat capacity effect on protein unfolding. J Mol Biol 224: 715–723. , .
- 1994. Magnitude of hydration entropies of non-polar and polar molecules. J Phys Chem 98: 386–389. , .
- 1977. Areas, volumes, packing and protein structure. Annu Rev Biophys Bioeng 6: 151–176. .
- 1955. Thermodynamics of urea solutions and the heat of formation of the peptide hydrogen bond. C R Trav Lab Carlsberg Ser Chim 29: 223–229. .
- 1991. Calorimetric determination of the enthalpy change for the α-helix to coil transition of an alanine peptide in water. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 2854–2858. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Extracting hydrophobic free energies from experimental data: Relationship to protein folding and theoretical models. Biochemistry 30: 9686–9697. , , ,
- 1992. Contribution of hydrogen bonding to the conformational stability of ribonuclease T1. Biochemistry 31: 725–732. , , , .
- 1970. Conformation of cyclic dipeptides. The crystal and molecular structures of cyclo-D-alanyl-L-alanyl and cyclo-L-alanyl-L-alanyl (3,6-dimethylpiperazine-2,5-dione). J Am Chem Soc 92: 172–177.
- 1992. Use of liquid hydrocarbon and amide transfer data to estimate contributions to thermodynamic functions of protein folding from the removal of nonpolar and polar surface from water. Biochemistry 31: 3947–3955. , ,
- 1964. Near infrared investigation of inter-amide hydrogen bonding in aqueous solution. J Biol Chem 239: 3051–3054. , , .
- 1996. Cylco(L-alanyl-L-seryl) H2O and cyclo(glycyl-L-seryl). Acta Crystallogr C 52: 383–387. , , .
- 1994. The solubilities of five cyclic dipeptides in water at the temperature 298.15 K. J Chem Thermo 26: 1115–1120. , , .
- 1992. Analysis of the heat capacity dependence of protein folding. J Mol Biol 227: 889–900. , ,
- 1984. Amino acid, peptide, and protein volume in solution. Annu Rev Biophys Bioeng 13: 145–165. .
- 1991. Toward a simplification of the protein folding problem: A stabilizing polyalanine α-helix engineered in T4 lysozyme. Biochemistry 30: 2012–2017. , , .