RhNGF slow unfolding is not due to proline isomerization: Possibility of a cystine knot loop-threading mechanism
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1996 The Protein Society
Volume 5, Issue 8, pages 1554–1566, August 1996
How to Cite
de Young, L. R., Burton, L. E., Liu, J., Powell, M. F., Schmelzer, C. H. and Skelton, N. J. (1996), RhNGF slow unfolding is not due to proline isomerization: Possibility of a cystine knot loop-threading mechanism. Protein Science, 5: 1554–1566. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560050811
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAY 1996
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAR 1996
- 1994. The trk-family of neurotrophin receptors. J Neurobiol 25: 1386–1403.
- 1977. Dissociation equilibrium constant of β nerve growth factor. J Biol Chem 252: 8532–8536. , .
- 1975. Consideration of the possibility that the slow step in protein denaturation reactions is due to cis-trans isomerism of proline residues. Biochemistry 14: 4953–4963. , ,
- 1992. Activity and biospecificity of proteolyzed forms and dimeric combinations of recombinant human and murine nerve growth factor. J Neurochem 59: 1937–1945. , , , ,
- 1984. Use of high-speed size-exclusion chromatography for the study of protein folding and stability. Biochemistry 23: 1888–1894. , .
- 1991. Denatured states of proteins. Annu Rev Biochem 60: 795–825. ,
- 1990. Molecular and cellular aspects of thiol-disulfide exchange. Adv Enzymol 63: 69–172. .
- 1991. Effects of Proline mutations on the unfolding and refolding of human lysozyme: The slow refolding kinetic phase does not result from proline cis-trans isomerization. Biochemistry 30: 9882–9891. , , ,
- 1991. Unfolding of truncated and wild type aspartate aminotransferase studied by size-exclusion chromatography. J Chromatog 539: 383–391. ,
- 1981. Analysis of data from the analytical ultracentrifuge by nonlinear least-squares techniques. Biophys J 36: 575–588. , , , .
- 1994. Characterisation of neurotrophin dimers and monomers. Eur J Biochem 225: 995–1003. , , .
- 1983. Principles of fluorescence spectroscopy. New York: Plenum Press, p 356. .
- 1979. The calculation of partial specific volumes of proteins in 6 M guanidine hydrochloride. Methods Enzymol 61: 49–57. , .
- 1971. Nuclear magnetic resonance study of the mechanism of reversible denaturation of lysozyme. J Am Chem Soc 93: 235–246. , , .
- 1993. A structural superfamily of growth factors containing a cystine knot motif. Cell 73: 421–424. , .
- 1991. New protein fold revealed by a 2.3-Å resolution crystal structure of nerve growth factor. Nature (Lond) 354: 411–414. , , , , , .
- 1993. Topological similarities in TGF-b2, PDGF-BB and NGF define a superfamily of polypeptide growth factors. Structure 1: 153–159. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Effects of urea and guanidine hydrochloride on peptide and nonpolar groups. Biochemistry 23: 6661–6668. , .
- 1993. Three-state denaturation of DnaK induced by guanidine hydrochloride. Evidence for an expandable intermediate. Biochemistry 32: 4314–4321. , , , .
- 1983. Protein conformation and proton nuclear-magnetic-resonance chemical shifts. Eur J Biochem 137: 445–454. , ,
- 1993. Refolding of brain-derived neurotrophic factor from guanidine hydrochloride: Kinetic trapping in a collapsed form which is incompetent for dimerization. Biochemistry 32: 10812–10818. , , , , .
- 1992. Dimeric structure and conformational stability of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3. Biochemistry 31: 4431–4436. , , , .
- 1983. Obtaining high fidelity spin 1/2 powder spectra in anisotropic media: Phase cycled Hahn-echo spectroscopy. J Magn Reson 52: 221–240. , .
- 1965. The effect of compounds of the urea-guanidinium class on the activity coefficient of acetyltetraglycine ethyl ester and related compounds. J Am Chem Soc 87: 2462–2470. , .
- 1995. Structure of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor/neurotrophin 3 heterodimer. Biochemistry 34: 4139–4146. , , , .
- 1993. Conformational changes of brain-derived neurotrophic factor during reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatog 632: 29–36. ,
- 1992. Biochemical characterization of recombinant human nerve growth factor. J Neurochem 59: 1675–1683. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1992. Kinetics of unfolding and refolding of single-domain proteins. In: CreightonTE, ed. Protein folding. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company, pp 197–241. .
- 1979. The rate of interconversion between the two unfolded forms of ribonuclease A does not depend on guanidinium chloride concentration. J Mol Biol 133: 285–287. , .
- 1989. Refolding of denatured ribonuclease observed by size exclusion chromatography. Biochemistry 28: 4820–4825. , , ,
- 1994. Mutagenesis identifies amino-terminal residues of nerve growth factor necessary for Trk receptor binding and biological activity. J Biol Chem 269: 27679–27686. , , , , .
- 1989. Residual structure in large fragments of staphylococcal nuclease: Effects of amino acid substitutions. Biochemistry 28: 936–944. , .
- 1989. α-Proton chemical shifts and secondary structure in proteins. J Magn Res 83: 441–449. ,
- 1994. Comparative equilibrium denaturation studies of the neurotrophins: Nerve growth factor, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, neurotrophin 3, and neurotrophin 4/5. Biochemistry 33: 4667–4676. , , .
- 1992. Equilibrium denaturation studies of mouse β-nerve growth factor. Protein Sci 1: 236–244. , .
- 1983. Human β-nerve growth factor gene sequence highly homologous to that of mouse. Nature 303: 821–825. , , , .
- 1991. Relationship between nuclear magnetic resonance chemical shift and protein secondary structure. J Mol Biol 222: 311–333. , , .
- 1987. Use of high-performance size-exclusion, ion-exchange, and hydrophobic interaction chromatography for the measurement of protein conformational change and stability. J Chromatog 398: 175–202. , , ,
- 1995. Alteration of NH2-terminal residues of nerve growth factor affects activity and Trk binding without affecting stability or conformation. J Biol Chem 270: 6278–6285. , , .