Heteronuclear (1H, 13C, 15N) NMR assignments and secondary structure of the basic region-helix-loop-helix domain of E47
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1997 The Protein Society
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 175–184, January 1997
How to Cite
Fairman, R., Beran-Steed, R. K. and Handel, T. M. (1997), Heteronuclear (1H, 13C, 15N) NMR assignments and secondary structure of the basic region-helix-loop-helix domain of E47. Protein Science, 6: 175–184. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560060120
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 OCT 1996
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUL 1996
- PEW Scholar in the Biomedical Sciences
- PEW Charitable Trusts. Grant Number: 93–05252
- University of California Cancer Research Coordinating Committee funds. Grant Number: GM 14321
- 1992. Molecular characterization of helix-loop-helix peptides. Science 255: 979–983. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. An alternative 3D-NMR technique for correlating backbone N-15 with side chain H-beta resonances in larger proteins. J Magn Reson 95: 636–641. , , ,
- 1994. E2A proteins are required for proper B cell development and initiation of immunoglobulin gene rearrangements. Cell 79: 885–892. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1990a. 1H-1H correlation via isotropic mixing of 13C magnetization, a new 3-dimensional approach for assigning 1H and 13C spectra of 13C-enriched proteins. J Magn Reson 88: 425–431. , , .
- 1990b. Comparison of different modes of 2-dimensional reverse-correlation NMR for the study of proteins. J Magn Reson 86: 304–318. , , , ,
- 1992. Precise vicinal coupling constants 3JHNHα in proteins from nonlinear fits of J-modulated 15N-1H COSY experiments. J Biomol NMR 2: 257–274. , , , ,
- 1995. Synthesis of the basic-helix-loop-helix region of the immunoglobulin enhancer binding protein E47 and evaluation of its structural and DNA binding properties. Int J Pept Prot Res 46: 149–154. , , ,
- 1991. MAX—A helix-loop-helix protein that forms a sequence specific DNA-binding complex with myc. Science 251: 1211–1217. , .
- 1992a. 4-Dimensional heteronuclear triple resonance NMR methods for the assignment of backbone nuclei in proteins. J Am Chem Soc 114: 2262–2264. , , , .
- 1992b. Improved 4D-NMR experiments for the assignment of backbone nuclei in C-13/N-15 labelled proteins. J Biomol NMR 2: 631–637. , , , .
- 1994. Plus ça change, plus c'est la měme chose. Nature Struct Biol 1: 207–208. .
- 1978. Prediction of the secondary structure of proteins from their amino acid sequence. Adv Enzymol 47: 45–148. , .
- 1993. A 4D HC-C(CO)NNH experiment for the correlation of aliphatic side chain and backbone resonances in C-13/N-15 labelled proteins. J Biomol NMR 3: 349–354. , , , , .
- 1994. Crystal structure of transcription factor E47: E-box recognition by a basic region helix-loop-helix dimer. Genes & Dev 8: 970–980. , , , .
- 1993. Multiple oligomeric states regulate the DNA-binding of helix-loop-helix peptides. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 10429–10433. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Alternative multimeric structures affect myogenin DNA binding activity. J Biol Chem 267: 5631–5636. , , .
- 1994. Structure and function of the b/HLH/Z domain of USE EMBO J 13: 180–189. , , , .
- 1993. Recognition by MAX of its cognate DNA through a dimeric b/HLH/Z domain. Nature 363: 38–45. , , , .
- 1991. TFEB has DNA-binding and oligomerization properties of a unique helix-loop-helix/leucine-zipper family. Genes & Dev 5: 2342–2352. , , , .
- 1993. Proposed structure for the DNA-binding domain of the helix-loop-helix family of eukaryotic gene regulatory proteins. Protein Eng 6: 41–50. , , .
- 1992. Predicted structural similarities of the DNA binding domains of c-Myc and endonuclease Eco RI. Science 255: 464–466. , .
- 1993. Metal ion-dependent modulation of the dynamics of a designed protein. Science 261: 879–885. , , .
- 1994. Positive and negative transcriptional control by the TALI helix-loop-helix protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 5947–5951. , , ,
- 1990. Transcriptional regulation by dimerization: Two sides to an incestuous relationship. Cell 61: 9–11.
- 1993. Consequences of heteromeric interactions among helix-loop-helix proteins. Cell Growth Differ 4: 49–55.
- 1991. Diversity and specificity in transcriptional regulation: The benefits of heterotypic dimerization. Trends Biochem Sci 16: 417–422. , .
- 1991. Functional activity of myogenic HLH proteins requires hetero-oligomerization with E12/E47-like proteins in vivo. Cell 66: 305–315. , , , , , , ,
- 1986. Reconstruction of phase sensitive two-dimensional NMR spectra by maximum entropy. J Magn Reson 68: 14–29. , , ,
- 1995. MyoD forms micelles which can dissociate to form heterodimers with E47: Implications of micellization on function. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 11824–11828. , , , , ,
- 1984. Long-range hydrogen bond mediated effects in peptides: 15N NMR study of gramacidin S in water and organic solvents. J Am Chem Soc 106: 1934–1941. , , ,
- 1995. A buried polar interaction imparts structural uniqueness in a designed heterodimeric coiled coil. Biochemistry 34: 8642–8648. , .
- 1994. Crystal structure of MyoD b/HLH domain-DNA complex: Perspectives on DNA recognition and implications for transcriptional activation. Cell 77: 451–459. , , , .
- 1989. Overcoming the overlap problem in the assignment of H-1 NMR spectra of larger proteins by use of 3-dimensional heteronuclear IH-15N Hartmann-Hahn multiple quantum coherence and nuclear Overhauser multiple quantum coherence spectroscopy—Application to interleukin-1-beta. Biochemistry 28: 6150–6156. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Solvent suppression using a spin lock in 2D and 3D NMR spectroscopy with H2O solutions. J Magn Reson 85: 608–613. , , , ,
- 1987. T7 lysozyme inhibits transcription by T7 RNA polymerase. Cell 49: 221–227. , .
- 1989. A new DNA binding and dimerization motif in immunoglobulin enhancer binding, daughterless, MyoD, and myc proteins. Cell 56: 777–783. , ,
- 1990. Comparison of techniques for 1H-detected heteronuclear 1H-15N spectroscopy J Magn Reson 87: 488–501. , , , , .
- 1991. X-ray structure of the GCN4 leucine zipper, a 2-stranded, parallel coiled coil. Science 254: 539–544. , , ,
- 1994. Built by association: Structure and function of helix-loop-helix DNA-binding proteins. Structure 2: 1–4. .
- 1991. Association of MYN, the murine homolog of MAX, with C-MYC stimulates methylation sensitive DNA-binding and ras cotransformation. Cell 65: 395–407. , ,
- 1995. Ade novo designed protein mimics the native state of natural proteins. J Am Chem Soc 117: 7558–7559. , , .
- 1988. Characterization of a helical protein designed from first principles. Science 241: 976–978. , .
- 1988. Amino acid preferences for specific locations at the ends of α-helices. Science 240: 1648–1652. , .
- 1988. Primer-directed enzymatic amplification of DNA with a thermostable DNA polymerase. Science 239: 487–491. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. B-cell-specific DNA binding by an E47 homodimer. Mol Cell Biol 15: 4518–4524. ,
- 1993. Dimerization specificity of myogenic helix-loop-helix DNA-binding factors directed by noncon-served hydrophilic residues. Genes & Dev 7: 2456–2470. , , , .
- 1991. Empirical correlation between protein backbone conformation and C-alpha and C-beta C-13 nuclear magnetic resonance chemical shifts. J Am Chem Soc 113: 5490–5492. ,
- 1994. Coupling of local folding to site-specific binding of proteins to DNA. Science 263: 777–783. , .
- 1992. Folding topology of the disulfide-bonded dimeric DNA-binding domain of the myogenic determination factor MyoD. Biochemistry 31: 9891–9903. , , , , .
- 1986. Use of bacteriophage T7 RNA polymerase to direct selective high-level expression of cloned genes. J Mol Biol 189: 113–130. , .
- 1991. An inhibitory domain of E12 transcription factor prevents DNA binding in E12 homodimers but not in E12 heterodimers. Cell 64: 459–470. ,
- 1992. Molecular model for DNA recognition by the family of basic-helix-loop-helix-zipper proteins. New Biol 4: 396–403. ,
- 1994. The 13C chemical-shift index: A simple method for the identification of protein secondary structure using 13C chemical-shift data. J Biomol NMR 4: 171–180. , .
- 1994. b/HLH without the zip. Nature Struct Biol 1: 413–416.