Biosynthetic incorporation of tryptophan analogues into staphylococcal nuclease: Effect of 5-hydroxytryptophan and 7-azatryptophan on structure and stability
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1997 The Protein Society
Volume 6, Issue 3, pages 689–697, March 1997
How to Cite
Wong, C.-Y. and Eftink, M. R. (1997), Biosynthetic incorporation of tryptophan analogues into staphylococcal nuclease: Effect of 5-hydroxytryptophan and 7-azatryptophan on structure and stability. Protein Science, 6: 689–697. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560060318
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 DEC 1996
- Manuscript Received: 24 SEP 1996
- NSF. Grant Number: MCB 94-07167
- American Heart Association. Grant Number: 9300900
- 1976. Excited state interactions of 7-azaindole with alcohol and water. Photochem Photobiol 24: 211–216. , , .
- 1974. Fluorescence time-resolved spectroscopy and fluorescence anisotropy decay of Staphylococcal aureus endonuclease. Eur J Biochem 47: 577–583. , , .
- 1994. Three-state thermodynamic analysis of the denaturation of Staphylococcal nuclease mutants. Biochemistry 33: 10842–10850. , , .
- 1992. Excited-state tautomerization of 7-azaindole in water. J Phys Chem 96: 8430–8441. ,
- 1993. Fluorescent species of 7-azaindole and 7-azatryptophan in water. J Phys Chem 97: 1770–1780. , , , .
- 1967. Catalytic properties and specificity of the extracellular nuclease of Staphylococcus aureus. J Biol Chem 242: 1541–1547. , , .
- 1987. Frequency domain measurements of the fluorescence lifetime of ribonuclease T,. Biophys J 52: 467–473. , .
- 1991. Effects of temperature on the fluorescence intensity and anisotropy decays of Staphylococcal nuclease A and the less stable nuclease-conA-SG28 mutant. Biochemistry 30: 8945–8953. , , , , .
- 1996. Thermodynamics of the unfolding and spectroscopic properties of the V66W mutant of Staphylococcal nuclease and its 1-136 fragment. Biochemistry 35: 8084–8094. , , , , , .
- 1990. Photophysics of indole derivatives: Experimental resolution of La and Lb transitions and comparison with theory. J Phys Chem 94: 3469–3479. , , , .
- 1992. Site-specific incorporation of novel backbone structures into proteins. Science 255: 197–200. , , .
- 1994. Monophotonic ionization of 7-azaindoie, indole, and their derivatives and the role of overlapping excited states. J Am Chem Soc 116: 135–146. , , .
- 1994. Fluorescence probes for studying the mechanism of transcription activation. Proceedings SPIE 2/37: 719–724. ,
- 1994. Tryptophanyl-tRNA synthetase and its role in the incorporation of new intrinsic fluorescent probes into proteins [dissertation]. Ottawa [Ontario], Canada: University of Ottawa. .
- 1995. Efficient incorporation of tryptophan analogues in recombinant rat F102W parvalbumin for fluorescence and 19F NMR studies. Biophys J 68: A193. , , , , , , .
- 1992. A new intrinsic fluorescent probe for proteins. Biosynthetic incorporation of 5-hydroxytryp-tophan into oncomodulin. FEBS Lett 310: 269–212. , , .
- 1994. A designed peptide ligase for total synthesis of ribonuclease A with unnatural catalytic residues. Science 266: 243–247. , , , , , .
- 1995. Nonlinear least-squares analyses. Methods En-zymol 7/7: 301–342. , .
- 1993. Probing the mechanism of Staphylococcal nuclease with unnatural amino acids: Kinetic and structural studies. Science 267: 1578–1581. , , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature (Lond) 227: 680–685. .
- 1976. On the possible role of mixed valence Rydberg state in the fluorescence of indoles. J Phys Chem 67: 3274–3281.
- 1993. 5-Hydroxytryptophan as a new intrinsic probe for investigating protein-DNA interactions by analytical ul-tracentrifugation. Study of the effect of DNA on self-assembly of the bacteriophage A c1 repressor. Biochemistry 32: 2469–2472. , , , .
- 1995. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: An absorption and fluorescence probe which is a conservative replacement for [A14 Tyrosine] in insulin. J Protein Chem 74: 225–232. , , , , , , .
- 1978. A modification of the Lowry procedure to simplify protein determination in membrane and lipoprotein samples. Anal Biochem 57: 206–210. , , .
- 1992. Probing protein stability with unnatural amino acids. Science 256: 1798–1802. , , , , , .
- 1974. Culture medium for enterobacteria. J Bacteriol 119: 136–141. , , .
- 1991. Photophysics of a novel optical probe: 7-Azaindole. J Phys Chem 95: 8663–8670. , , , .
- 1989. A general method for site-specific incorporation of unnatural amino acids into proteins. Science 244: 182–188. , , , .
- 1969. Studies of the aromatic circular dichroism of Staphylococcal nuclease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 64: 923–930. , , .
- 1986. Determination and analyses of urea and guanidine HO denaturation curves. Methods Enzymol 737: 266–280. .
- 1995. How to measure and predict the molar absorption coefficient of a protein. Protein Sci 4: 2411–2423. , , , ,
- 1993. Improved bacterial hosts for regulated expression of genes from pL plasmid vectors. Gene 732: 83–87. , , , .
- 1994. Analysis of multi-dimensional spectroscopic data that monitors the unfolding of proteins. Methods Enzymol 240: 615–645. , .
- 1995. Modified spectrophotometer for multidimensional circular dichroism/fluorescence data acquisition in titration experiments: Application to the pH and guanidine-HCl induced unfolding of apomyoglobin. Biophys J 69: 701–707. , , .
- 1993. Steady-state and time-resolved fluorescence anisotropy of 7-azaindole and its derivatives. J Phys Chem 97: 1781–1788. , , , , , .
- 1992. Spectral enhancement of proteins: Biological incorporation and fluorescence characterization of 5-hydroxytryptophan in bacteriophage A c1 repressor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 12023–12027. , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Practical methods in molecular biology. New York: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1968. The effect of amino acid analogues on alkaline phosphatase formation in E. coli K-12. II. Replacement of tryptophan by azatryp-tophan and by tryptazan. J Biol Chem 243: 3877–3883.
- 1995. Staphylococcal nuclease: A showcase of m-value effects. Adv Protein Chem 46: 217–247.
- 1989. Residual structure in large fragments of Staphylococcal nuclease: Effects of amino acid substitutions. Biochemistry 25: 936–944. , .
- 1988. Stability mutants of Staphylococcal nuclease: Large compensating enthalpy-entropy changes for the reversible denaturation of reaction. Biochemistry 27: 4761–4768. , ,
- 1984. Experiments with gene fusions. New York: Cold Spring Harbor. , , .
- 1995. Biosynthetic incorporation of 7-azatryptophan into phage lambda lysozyme: Estimate of tryptophan accessibility, effect on enzymatic activity and protein stability. Protein Eng 5: 451–456. , , ,
- 1993. A self-consistent method for the analysis of protein secondary structure from circular dichroism. Anal Biochem 209: 32–44. , .
- 1995. Analysis of hydrogen bonding strengths in proteins using unnatural amino acids. J Am Chem Soc 7/7: 9361–9362. , , .
- 1977. Resolution of the fluorescence excitation spectrum of indole into ‘La and ’Lb excitation bands. Photochem Photobiol 25: 441–444. ,
- 1996. The incorporation of nonnatural amino acids analogues of tryptophan into nuclease A from Staphylococcal aureus and two of its mutants [dissertation]. Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins University. .
- 1991. Silver staining of proteins in polyacrylamide gels. Anal Biochem 7/5: 197–203. , , ,