Functional and receptor binding characterization of recombinant murine macrophage inflammatory protein 2: Sequence analysis and mutagenesis identify receptor binding epitopes
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 The Protein Society
Volume 6, Issue 8, pages 1643–1652, August 1997
How to Cite
Jerva, L. F., Lolis, E. and Sullivan, G. (1997), Functional and receptor binding characterization of recombinant murine macrophage inflammatory protein 2: Sequence analysis and mutagenesis identify receptor binding epitopes. Protein Science, 6: 1643–1652. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560060805
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAY 1997
- Manuscript Received: 3 FEB 1997
- Arthritis Foundation
- Patrick and Catherine Weldon Donaghue Medical Research Foundation
- Critical Technologies Program of Connecticut Innovations, Inc
- 1996. CXC chemokines bind to unique sets of selectivity determinants that can function independently and are broadly distributed on multiple domains of human interleukin–8 receptor B. J Biol Chem 271: 225–232. , , .
- 1982. Elicitation of peritoneal polymorphonuclear neutrophils from mice. J Immunol Methods 49: 305–313. , .
- 1996. The lymphocyte chemoattractant SDF–1 is a ligand for LESTR/fusin and blocks HIV–1 entry. Nature 382: 329–833. , , , , , ,
- 1996. Receptor binding specificity and pulmonary gene expression of the neutrophil-activating peptide ENA–78. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 14: 302–308. , ,
- 1994. The murine interleukin–8 type B receptor homologue and its ligands. Expression and biological characterization. J Biol Chem 269: 29355–29358 , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Expression and biologic characterization of the murine chemokine KC. J Immunol 154: 6049–6057. , , , , , , , ,
- 1990. Enhancing and suppressing effects of recombinant murine macrophage inflammatory proteins on colony formation in vitro by bone marrow myeloid progenitor cells. Blood 76: 1110–1116. ., , , , , , ,
- 1993. Molecular characterization of receptors for human interleukin–8, gro/ melanoma growth-stimulatory activity and neutrophil activating peptide–2. Mol Immunol 30: 359–367. , , , , ,
- 1994. Molecular cloning and functional expression of two monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 receptors reveals alternative splicing of the carboxyl-terminal tails. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 2752–2756. , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of the Duffy antigen in K562 cells. Evidence that it is the human erythrocyte chemokine receptor. J Biol Chem 269: 7835–7838. , , , , ,
- 1996. The β–chemokine receptors CCR3 and CCR5 facilitate infection by primary HIV–1 isolates. Cell 85: 1135–1148. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1995. A hot spot of binding energy in a hormone-receptor interface. Science 267: 383–386. , .
- 1994. Structural requirements for interleukin–8 function identified by design of analogs and CXC chemokine hybrids. J Biol Chem 269: 16075–16081. , , ,
- 1991. Structure-activity relationships of interleukin–8 determined using chemically synthesized analogs. J Biol Chem 266: 23128–23134. , , ,
- 1993. Platelet factor 4 binds to interleukin–8 receptors and activates neutrophils when its N-terminus is modified with Glu-Leu-Arg. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 3574–3577. , , , ,
- 1990. Three dimensional structure of interleukin 8 in solution. Biochemistry 24: 1689–1696. , , , ,
- 1994. Mapping the binding surface of interleukin–8 complexes with an N-terminal fragment of the type 1 human interleukin–8 receptor. FEES Lett 338: 93–97. , , , .
- 1995. Identification of RANTES, MIP–1α and MIP–1β as the major HIV-suppressive factors produced by CD8+ T cells. Science 270: 1811–1815. , , , , ,
- 1995. Cloning and functional expression of a human eosinophil chemokine receptor. J Biol Chem 270: 16491–16494. , , .
- 1996. Identification of a major co-receptor for primary isolates of HIV–1. Nature 381: 661–666. , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1984. A comprehensive set of sequence analysis programs for the VAX. Nucleic Acids Res 12: 387–395. , ,
- 1994. The solution structure of melanoma growth stimulating activity. J Mol Biol 242: 252–270. , , , ,
- 1995. Modulation of neutrophil influx in glomerulonephritis in the rat with anti-macrophage inflammatory protein–2 (MIP–2) antibody. J Clin Inv 95: 1009–1017. , , , .
- 1996. HIV–1 entry cofactor: Functional cDNA cloning of a seven-transmembrane, G protein-coupled receptor. Science 272: 872–877. , , ,
- 1995. Functional characterization of rat chemokine macrophage inflammatory protein–2. Inflammation 19: 333–142. , , , .,
- 1995. Cloning and differential tissue-specific expression of three mouse β chemokine receptor-like genes, including the gene for a functional macrophage inflammatory protein–1 α receptor. J Biol Chem 270: 17494–17501. , .
- 1993. Importance of the amino terminus of the interleukin–8 receptor in ligand interactions. J Biol Chem 268: 7283–7289. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1993. The interleukin–8-related chemotactic cytokines gro–α, gro–β, and gro–γ activate neutrophil and basophil leukocytes. J Biol Chem 268: 15419–15424. , , , ,
- 1996. Receptor recognition and specificity of interleukin–8 is determined by residues that cluster near a surface-accessible hydrophobic pocket. J Biol Chem 271: 8228–8235. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1991. Scanning mutagenesis of interleukin–8 identifies a cluster of residues required for receptor binding. J Biol Chem 266: 18989–18994. , , .
- 1995. A mutant of melanoma growth stimulating activity does not activate neutrophils but blocks erythrocyte invasion by malaria. J Biol Chem 270: 11472–11476. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1991. Structure and functional expression of a human interleukin–8 receptor. Science 253: 1278–1280. , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular cloning of murine CC CKR–4 and high affinity binding of chemokines to murine and human CC CKR–4. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 218: 337–343. , , , , .
- 1995. Interleukin–10 expression and chemokine regulation during the evolution of murine type II collagen-induced arthritis. J Clin Inv 95: 2868–2876. , , , , ,
- 1995. Chemokine binding and activities mediated by the mouse IL–8 receptor. J Immunol 155: 2158–2164. , , , , , .
- 1992. Characterization of two high affinity human interleukin–8 receptors. J Biol Chem 267: 16283–16287. , , , , ,
- 1994. High-resolution solution structure of the β chemokine hMIP–1β by multidimensional NMR. Science 263: 1762–1767. , , , , , , ,
- 1992. Preliminary crystallographic analysis of murine macrophage inflammatory protein 2. J Mol Biol 225: 913–915. , , , , ,
- 1996. Exchanging Interleukin–8 and melanoma growth-stimulating activity receptor binding specificities. J Biol Chem 271: 14344–14352. , , , , , , .
- 1995. The crystal structure of recombinant human neutrophil-activating peptide–2 (M6I) at 1.9 Å resolution. J Biol Chem 270: 7088–7087. ., , , ,
- 1991. Neutrophil-activating peptide 2 and gro/melanoma growth-stimulatory activity interact with neutrophil-activating peptide 1/interleukin 8 receptors on human neutrophils. J Biol Chem 266: 10666–10671. , , , ,
- 1980. LIGAND: A versatile computerized approach for characterization of ligand-binding sites. Anal Biochem 107: 220–239. ,
- 1991. Cloning of complementary DNA encoding a functional interleukin–8 receptor. Science 253: 1280–1283. , .
- 1994. The molecular biology of leukocyte chemoattractant receptors. Annu Rev Immunol 12: 593–633. .
- 1993. Molecular cloning, functional expression, and signaling characteristics of a C-C chemokine receptor. Cell 72: 415–425. , , , ,
- 1996. The CXC chemokine SDF–1 is the ligand for LESTR/ fusin and prevents infection by T-cell-line-adapted HIV–1. Nature 382: 833–835. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1991. Properties of the novel proinflammatory supergene “intercrine” cytokine family. Annu Rev Immunol 9: 617–648. , , ,
- 1995. Molecular cloning and functional expression of a novel CC chemokine receptor cDNA from a human basophilic cell line. J Biol Chem 270: 19495–19500. , , , ., , ,
- 1994. Neutrophil activation by monomeric interleukin–8. Science 264: 90–92. , , , , , ,
- 1989. Molecular cloning: A laboratory manual, 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor. New York: The Protein Society. , ,
- 1996. Molecular cloning and functional expression of a new human CC-chemokine receptor gene. Biochemistry 35: 3362–3367. , , , ,
- 1995. The role of Tyr13 and Lys15 of interleukin–8 in the high affinity interaction with the interleukin–8 receptor type A. J Biol Chem 270: 10428–10431. , , , , .
- 1995. Neutralization of IL–10 increases lethality in endotoxemia: Cooperative effects of MIP–2 and TNF. J Immunol 155: 2222–2229. , , , .
- 1989. The three-dimensional structure of bovine platelet factor 4 at 3.0 Å resolution. J Biol Chem 264: 2092–2099. , ,
- 1988. Circular dichroism of platelet factor 4. Arch Biochem Biophys 261: 170–174. , ,
- 1989. Effects of the neutrophilactivating peptide NAP–2, platelet basic protein, connective tissue-activating peptide Ill and platelet factor 4 on human neutrophils. J Exp Med 170: 1745–1750. , , ,
- 1994. Expression of highly disulfidebonded proteins in Pichia pastoris. Structure 21,/: 1003–1005. , , .
- 1989. Identification and characterization of macrophage inflammatory protein 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 612–616. , , , , ,