Ligand binding to proteins: The binding landscape model
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1997 The Protein Society
Volume 6, Issue 10, pages 2166–2179, October 1997
How to Cite
Miller, D. W. and Dill, K. A. (1997), Ligand binding to proteins: The binding landscape model. Protein Science, 6: 2166–2179. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560061011
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAY 1997
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAR 1997
- 1992. Molecular code for cooperativity in hemoglobin. Science 255: 54–63. , , , .
- 1996. An experimental approach to mapping the binding surfaces of crystalline proteins. J Phys Chem 100: 2605–2611. , , , , , ,
- 1991. Solvent denaturation and stabilization of globular proteins. Biochemistry 30: 5974–5985. , .
- 1994. Protein stability parameters measured by hydrogen exchange. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 20: 4–14. , , , .
- 1992. Long-range changes in a protein antigen due to antigen-antibody interaction. Biochemistry 31: 9539–9545. , , , .
- 1994. Multiple highly diverse structures complementary to enzyme binding sites: Results of extensive application of a de novo design method incorporating combinatorial growth. J Am Chem Soc 116: 5560–5571. ,
- 1989. Compact polymers. Macromolecules 22: 4559–4573. , .
- 1990. Origins of structure in globular proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 6388–6392. , .
- 1991. “Sequence space soup” of proteins and copolymers. J Chem Phys 95: 3775–3787. , .
- 1994. Transition states and folding dynamics of proteins and heteropolymers. J Chem Phys 100: 9238–9257. , .
- 1993. Proteins: Structures and molecular properties, 2nd ed. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company. pp 339. .
- 1995. Thermodynamic theory of site-specific binding processes in biological macromolecules. Cambridge: England Cambridge University Press.
- 1990. Dominant forces in protein folding. Biochemistry 29: 7133–7155. .
- 1995. Principles of protein folding—A perspective from simple exact models. Protein Sci 4: 561–602. , , , , , , .
- 1997. From Levinthal to pathways to funnels. Nature Struct Biol 4: 10–19. , .
- 1984. Structural dynamics of proteins and nucleic acids. Q Rev Biophys 16: 521–655. , .
- 1991. The energy landscapes and motions of proteins. Science 254: 1598–1603. , , .
- 1981. Hydrogen exchange rates in pancreatic trypsin inhibitor are not correlated to thermal stability in urea. Biochemistry 20: 4697–4703. , , .
- 1966. Hydrogen exchange in proteins. Adv Protein Chem 21: 287–386. , .
- 1966. Comparison of experimental binding data and theoretical models in proteins containing subunits. Biochemistry 5: 365–385. , ,
- 1982. Protein dynamics investigated by the neutron diffraction-hydrogen exchange technique. Nature 296: 713–721. .
- 1995. Local perturbations by ligand binding of hydrogen deuterium exchange kinetics in a four-helix bundle protein, acyl coenzyme A binding protein (ACBP). J Mol Biol 250: 695–706. , , .
- 1992. Structure-based strategies for drug design and discovery. Science 257: 1078–1082. .
- 1989. A lattice statistical mechanics model of the conformational and sequence spaces of proteins. Macromolecules 22: 3986–3997. , .
- 1990. Theory for protein mutability and biogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 638–642. , .
- 1981. Molecular dynamics of hydrogen bonds in bovine pancreatic trypsin inhibitor protein. Nature 294: 379–380.
- 1993. Hydrogen exchange in unligated and ligated staphylococcal nuclease. Biochemistry 32: 11022–11028. , , , .
- 1975. The mobile defect hypothesis of protein function. Colloq Int CNRS 246: 55–63. ,
- 1996. Locating and characterizing binding sites on proteins. Nature Biotech 14: 595–599. ,
- 1993. Structure and dynamics of barnase complexed with 3′-GMP studied by NMR spectroscopy. Biochemistry 32: 10975–10987. , , , .
- 1995. A statistical mechanical model for hydrogen exchange in globular proteins. Protein Sci 4: 1860–1873. , .
- 1965. On the nature of allosteric transitions: A plausible model. J Mol Biol 12: 88–118. , , .
- 1995. Specificity of ligand binding in a buried nonpolar cavity of T4 lysozyme: Linkage of dynamics and structural plasticity. Biochemistry 34: 8576–8588. , .
- 1994. Hydrogen-deuterium exchange in the free and immunoglobulin G-bound protein G B domain. Biochemistry 33: 5702–5710. , ,
- 1990. An antibody binding site on cytochrome c defined by hydrogen exchange and two-dimensional NMR. Science 249: 755–759. , ,
- 1979. Packing defects, cavities, volume fluctuations, and access to the interior of proteins. Carlsberg Res Commun 44: 47–63. .
- 1985. Amide proton exchange in proteins by EX1 kinetics: Studies of the basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor at variable p2H and temperature. Biochemistry 24: 7396–7407. , ,
- 1975. Macromolecular binding. Biopolymers 14: 999–1018.
- 1967. The tritium-hydrogen exchange of myosin and its proteolytic fragments. Biochemistry 6: 768–787. , .
- 1987. Sequential mechanism of refolding of carbonic anhydrase B. FEBS Lett 224: 9–13. , , , , , .
- 1991. Study of the “molten globule” intermediate state in protein folding by a hydrophobic fluorescent probe. Biopolymers 31: 119–128. , , , , , .
- 1994. Protein conformational change induced by 1, 1′-Bis (4-anilino-5-naphthalenesulfonic acid): Preferential binding to the molten globule of DnaK. Biochemistry 33: 7536–7546. , , .
- 1993. Structure-based discovery of inhibitors of thymidylate synthase. Science 259: 1445–1450. , , , , .
- 1991. Modeling the effects of mutations on the denatured states of proteins. Protein Sci 1: 201–215. , , .
- 1996. Molecular docking programs successfully predict the binding of a beta-lactamase inhibitory protein to TEM-1 beta-lactamase. Nature Struct Biol 3: 233–239. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1993. Local and nonlocal interactions in globular proteins and mechanisms of alcohol denaturation. Protein Sci 2: 2050–2065. , .
- 1992. Identification of a protein-binding surface by differential amide hydrogen-exchange measurements. Application to Bowman-Birk serine-protease inhibitor. J Mol Biol 225: 873–889. , .
- 1982. Hydrogen exchange in ribonuclease A: Neutron diffraction study. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79: 1418–1422. ,
- 1979. Hydrogen exchange kinetics and internal motions in proteins and nucleic acids. Annu Rev Biophys Bioeng 8: 99–127. , .
- 1971. Studies of hydrogen exchange in proteins. VI. Urea effects on RNase hydrogen exchange kinetics leading to a general model for hydrogen exchange from folded proteins. J Biol Chem 246: 4114–4121. ,
- 1990. Binding and linkage. Functional chemistry of biological macromolecules. Mill Valley, California: University Science Books. , .