Crystal structure of recombinant human tissue kallikrein at 2.0 Å resolution
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1998 The Protein Society
Volume 7, Issue 4, pages 875–885, April 1998
How to Cite
Katz, B. A., Liu, B., Barnes, M. and Springman, E. B. (1998), Crystal structure of recombinant human tissue kallikrein at 2.0 Å resolution. Protein Science, 7: 875–885. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560070405
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 NOV 1997
- Manuscript Received: 4 SEP 1997
- 1981. Measurement of urinary kallikrein activity. Species difference in kinin production. Biochim Biophys Acta 677: 477–488. , , , ,
- 1989. Cloning and expression of human salivary-gland kallikrein in Escherichia coli. Biochem J 262: 787–793. , ,
- 1992. Purification and characterization of human salivary-gland prokallikrein from recombinant baculovirus-infected cells. Eur J Biochem 206: 225–233. , , , ,
- 1991. Crystallographic analysis at 3.0 Å resolution of the binding to human thrombin of four active site-directed inhibitors. J Biol Chem 266: 20085–20093. ,
- 1977. The Protein Data Bank. A computer-based archival file for macromolecular structures. J Mol Biol 112: 535–542. , , , , , , , ,
- 1992. Bioregulation of kinins: Kallikreins. kininogens, and kinases. Pharmacol Rev 44: 1–80. , ,
- 1985. Comparison of the independent solvent structures of dimeric alpha-chymotrypsin with themselves and with gamma-chymotrypsin. J Biol Chem 260: 8865–8872. ,
- 1983. Refined 2 Å X-ray crystal structure of porcine pancreatic kallikrein A, a specific trypsin-like proteinase. Crystallization, structure determination, crystallographic refinement, structure and its comparison with bovine trypsin. J Mol Biol 164: 237–282. , , , , ,
- 1975. The refined crystal structure of bovine beta-trypsin at 1.8 Å resolution. II. Crystallographic refinement, calcium binding site, benzamidine binding site and active site at pH 7.0. J Mol Biol 98: 693–717. ,
- 1992a. XPLOR version 3.1: A system for X-ray crystallography and NMR. New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press, pp 187–206. .
- 1992b. The free R value: A novel statistical quantity for assessing the accuracy of crystal structures. Nature 355: 472–474. .
- 1997. Analysis of tissue plasminogen activator specificity using peptidyl fluorogenic substrates. Biochemistry 36: 2123–2131. , , .
- 1993. Bis(5-amidino-2-benzimidazolyl)methane and related amidines are potent, reversible inhibitors of mast cell tryptascs. J Pharmacol Exper Therap 264: 676–682. , , , , .
- 1975. Tight-binding inhibitors. I. Kinetic behavior. Biochem Pharmacol 24: 2177–2185.
- 1992. Substrate specificities of tissue kallikrein and T-kininogenase: Their possible role in kininogen processing. Biochemistry 31: 4969–4974. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Determinants of the unusual cleavage specificity of lysyl-bradykinin-releasing kallikreins. Biochem J 306: 63–69. , , , , , .
- 1993. Kallistatin: A novel human serine proteinase inhibitor. Molecular cloning, tissue distribution, and expression in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem 268: 24498–24505. , , ,
- 1998. Expression and characterization of human tissue kallikrein variants. Protein Exp Purif. Forthcoming. , , .
- 1996. Functional analysis of human tissue kallikrein in transgenic mouse models. Hypertension 27 [part 2]: 491–494. ,
- 1995. Molecular cloning, purification and in situ localization of human colon kallikrein. Biochem J 307: 481–486. , , ,
- 1983. Refined 2.5 Å X-ray crystal structure of the complex formed by porcine kallikrein A and the bovine pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. Crystallization, Patterson search, structure determination, refinement, structure and comparison with its components and with the bovine trypsin-pancreatic trypsin inhibitor complex. J Mol Biol 164: 283–311. ,
- 1979. Statistical analysis of enzyme kinetic data. Methods Enzymol 63: 103–138. .
- 1994. Glandular kallikrein gene expression in the human uterus. Braz J of Med and Biol Res 27: 855–1863. , , ,
- 1996. Potent thrombin inhibitors that probe the SI subsite: Tripeptide transition state analogues based on a heterocycle-activated carbonyl group. J Med Chem 39: 3039–3043. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Residue 225 determines the Na+-induced allosteric regulation of catalytic activity in serine proteases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 10653–10656. ,
- 1992. Mapping the binding site of tissue kallikrein: Preparation and testing of all possible substrate analog inhibitors homologous with the sequence of kininogen between Ser386 and Gln.392. J Med Chem 35: 3094–3102. ,
- 1986. Individual reaction steps in the release of kallidin from kininogen by tissue kallikrein. Adv Exp Med Biol 198: 283–289. , ,
- 1990. Rat uterine contraction by kallikreins and its dependence on uterine kininogen. Biochem Pharmacol 39: 763–767. , , , , .
- 1992. Solvent structure in crystals of trypsin determined by X-ray and neutron diffraction. Proteins Struct Fund Genet 12: 203–222. , , , , .
- 1996. The interaction of alpha 1-proteinase inhibitor and tissue kallikrein in controlling allergic ovine airway hyperresponsiveness. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 154: 36–42. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Rat submaxillary gland serine protease, tonin. Structure solution and refinement at 1.8 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 195: 373–396. ,
- 1981. Progressive inhibition of human (urinary) kallikrein by human serum and identification of the progressive antikallikrein as alpha 1-antitrypsin (alpha 1-protease inhibitor). Hoppe Seyler's Z Physiol Chem 362: 317–325. , , ,
- 1969. Synthetic inhibitors and ester substrates of pancreatic kallikrein. Experientia 25: 483–484. .
- 1990. Comparative modeling methods: Application to the family of the mammalian serine proteases. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 7: 317–334.
- 1995. Visualization of tissue kallikrein in human breast carcinoma by two-dimensional western blotting and immunohistochemistry. Biol Chem Hoppe-Seyler 376: 365–370. , ,
- 1974. Structure of the complex formed by bovine trypsin and bovine pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. II. Crystallographic refinement at 1.9 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 89: 73–101. , , , , , ,
- 1990. Hydrogen bond stereochemistry in protein structure and function. J Mol Biol 215: 457–471. , , .
- 1991. Sparse matrix sampling: A screening method for crystallization of proteins. J Appl Crystallogr 24: 409–411. , .
- 1985. Demonstration of arginyl-bradykinin moiety in rat HMW kininogen: Direct evidence for liberation of bradykinin by rat glandular kallikreins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 127: 289–295. , , , , ,
- 1998. Design of potent selective zinc-mediated serine protease inhibitors. Nature 391: 608–612. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Episelection: Novel Ki ∼ nanomolar inhibitors of serine proteases selected by binding or chemistry on an enzyme surface. Biochemistry 34: 8264–8280. , , , , .
- 1996. Purification and identification of a novel and four known serine proteinase inhibitors secreted by human glioblastoma cells. J Biochem 119: 334–339. , , , , , ,
- 1974. The structure and specific binding of trypsin: A comparison of inhibited derivatives and a model for substrate binding. J Mol Biol 83: 209–230. , , .
- 1980. Protein inhibitors of proteinases. Annu Rev Biochem 49: 593–626. ,
- 1993. Atomic structure of the trypsin-cyclotheonamide A complex: Lessons for the design of serine protease inhibitors. J Am Chem Soc 115: 12619–12620. , , , , ,
- 1996a. Isolation and characterization of human tissue kallikrein produced in Escherichia coli: Biochemical comparison to the enzymatically inactive prokallikrein and methionyl kallikrein. Protein Exp Purif 8: 215–226. , , , , , .
- 1996b. Purification and characterization of human tissue prokallikrein and kallikrein isoforms expressed in Chinese hamster ovary cells. Protein Exp Purif 8: 227–237. , , , ,
- 1989. Tissue kallikreins and kinins: Regulation and roles in hypertensive and diabetic diseases. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 29: 343–364. .
- 1963. An algorithm for least-squares estimation of nonlinear parameters. J Soc Ind Appl Math 11: 431–441. .
- 1988. Structure of native porcine pancreatic elastase at 1.65 Å resolution. Acta Crystallogr B 44 (1): 26–38. , , ,
- 1995. Ecotin: Lessons on survival in a protease-filled world. Protein Sci 4: 141–148. , ,
- 1997. A new structural class of serine protease inhibitors revealed by the structure of the hirustatin-kallikrein complex. Structure 5: 253–264. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Homology modelling of rat kallikrein rK9, a member of the tissue kallikrein family: Implications for substrate specificity and inhibitor binding. Protein Eng 9: 987–995. ,
- 1969. Kinetics of the reversible inhibition of enzyme-catalyzed reactions by tight-binding inhibitors. Biochem Biophys Acta 185: 269–286. .
- 1989. Structure of human neutrophil elastase in complex with a peptide chloromethyl ketone inhibitor at 1.84 Å resolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 7–11. , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Structure-based understanding of ligand affinity using human thrombin as a model system. Biochemistry 35: 9690–9699. , , .
- 1993. Structure of human des( 1-45) factor Xa at 2.2 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 232: 947–966. , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. Design of kallidin-releasing tissue kallikrein inhibitors based on the specificities of the enzymes's binding subsites. Biochem J 323: 167–171. , , , , , .
- 1995. Identification of immunoreactive tissue kallikrein in human ductal breast carcinomas. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 121: 64–68. , , ,
- 1988. The structure of rat mast cell protease II at 1.9 Å resolution. Biochemistry 27: 8097–8105. , , , ,
- 1979. Processing and post-refinement of oscillation data. J Appl Crystallogr 12: 570–581. , , ,
- 1980. Kallikreins (kininogenases)–A group of serine proteases with bioregulatory actions. Pharmacol Rev 31: 1–17.
- 1967. On the size of the active site in proteinases. 1. Papain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 27: 157–162. ,
- 1995. The crystal structure of the catalytic domain of human urokinase-type plasminogen activator. Structure 3: 681–691. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Cleavage of human kininogen fragments at Met-Lys by human tissue kallikrein. Braz J Med Biol Res 27: 1935–1942. , , , , ,
- 1991. Refined crystal structure of the complex of subtilisin BPN' and Streptomyces subtilisin inhibitor at 1.8 Å resolution. J Mol Biol 221: 309–325. , , ,
- 1978. Diarylamidine derivatives with one or both of the ary] moieties consisting of an indole or indole-like ring: Inhibitors of arginine-specific esteroproteases. J Med Chem 21: 613–623. , , , , ,
- 1994. The isomorphous structures of prethrombin2, hirugen- and PPACK-thrombin: Changes accompanying activation and exosite binding to thrombin. Protein Sci 3: 2254–2271. , , ,
- 1997. Site-specific dissection of substrate recognition by thrombin. Nature Biotechnology 15: 891–895. , ,
- 1996. Augmented plasma and tissue kallikrein like activity in synovial fluid of patients with inflammatory articular diseases. Inflamm Res 45: 198–202. , , , .
- 1995. Kinetic and crystallographic studies of thrombin with Ac-(D)Phe-Pro- boroArg-OH and its lysine, amidine, homolysine, and ornithine analogs. Biochemistry 34: 3750–3757. , , , , , .
- 1990. Kallikreins and kinins:Mediators in inflammatory joint disease? Int J Exp Pathol 712: 587–601. , , , .
- 1993. Expression of tissue kallikrein in normal and SV40-transfected human endometrial stromal cells. Pathobiology 61: 123–127. , , , , , .