Semisynthesis of cytotoxic proteins using a modified protein splicing element
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1998 The Protein Society
Volume 7, Issue 11, pages 2256–2264, November 1998
How to Cite
Evans, T. C., Benner, J. and Xu, M.-Q. (1998), Semisynthesis of cytotoxic proteins using a modified protein splicing element. Protein Science, 7: 2256–2264. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560071103
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 1998
- Manuscript Received: 9 APR 1998
- 1994. Subtiligase: A tool for semisynthesis of proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 12544–12548. , , , .
- 1997. Single-column purification of free recombinant proteins using a self-cleavable affinity tag derived from a protein splicing element. Gene 192: 271–281. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Protein splicing involving the Saccharomyces cerevisiae VMA intein. J Biol Chem 271: 22159–22168. , , , , , .
- 1998. Modulation of protein splicing of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae vacuolar ATPase (VMA) intein. J Biol Chem 273: 10567–10577. , , , .
- 1994. Synthesis of proteins by native chemical ligation. Science 266: 776–779. , , , .
- 1984. O-benzotriazolyl-N, N, N', N'-tetramethyluroniumhexafluorophosphate as coupling reagent for the synthesis of peptides of biological interest. Synthesis: 572–574. , , ,
- 1984. Sequences of the malE gene and of its product, the maltose-binding protein of Escherichia coli. K12. J Biol Chem 259: 10606–10613. , , , , ,
- 1996. The leucine zipper domain controls the orientation of AP-1 in the NFAT-AP-1-DNA complex. Chem Biol 3: 981–991. , , .
- 1991. HBTU activation for automated Fmoc solid-phase peptide synthesis. Pept Res 4: 95–101. , , , , .
- 1987. Vectors that facilitate the expression and purification of foreign peptides in Escherichia coli by fusion to maltose-binding protein. Gene 67: 21–30. , , ,
- 1972. Reactivation of des(119-, 120- or 121–124) ribonuclease A by mixture with synthetic COOH-terminal peptides of varying lengths. J Biol Chem 247: 4763–4767. , , ,
- 1975. The role of serine-123 in the activity and specificity of ribonuclease. J Biol Chem 250: 1231–1241. ,
- 1992. Cloning and expression of the Hpa I restriction-modification genes. Nucleic Acids Res 20: 705–709. , , , , ,
- 1994. A designed peptide ligase for total synthesis of ribonuclease A with unnatural catalytic residues. Science 266: 243–247. , , , , , .
- 1990. Protein splicing converts the yeast TFP1 gene product to the 69-kD subunit of the vacuolar H+-adenosine triphosphatase. Science 250: 651–657. , , , , , .
- 1988. Chemical synthesis of peptides and proteins. Annu Rev Biochem 57: 957–989. .
- 1989. New coupling reagents in peptide chemistry. Tetrahedron Lett 30: 1927–1930. , , ,
- 1970. The structural roles of amino acid residues near the carboxyl terminus of bovine pancreatic ribonuclease A. J Biol Chem 245: 6726–6731.
- 1994. Peptide segment ligation strategy without use of protecting groups. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 6584–6588. , .
- 1996. Comparative total syntheses of turkey ovomucoid third domain by both stepwise solid phase peptide synthesis and native chemical ligation. J Am Chem Soc 118: 8518–8523. , , .
- 1991. Catalysis of the oxidative folding of ribonuclease A by protein disulfide isomerase: Dependence of the rate on the composition of the redox buffer. Biochemistry 30: 613–619. , .
- 1986. Role of the phenylalanine B25 side chain in directing insulin interaction with its receptor. J Biol Chem 261: 7332–7341. , .
- 1989. A general method for site-specific incorporation of unnatural amino acids into proteins. Science 244: 182–188. , , ,
- 1987. Protein engineering by chemical means? Protein Eng 1: 151–157.
- 1994. Protein splicing elements: Inteins and exteins—A definition of terms and recommended nomenclature. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 1125–1127. , , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Semisynthesis of hemoglobin. Methods Enzymol 231: 194–215. , .
- 1985. Enzymatic amplification of beta-globin genomic sequences and restriction site analysis for diagnosis of sickle cell anemia. Science 230: 1350–1354. , , , , , ,
- 1995. Protein splicing: Characterization of the aminosuccinimide residue at the carboxyl terminus of the excised intervening sequence. Biochemistry 34: 10844–10850. , ,
- 1997. The Mycobacterium xenopi GyrA protein splicing element: Characterization of a minimal intein. J Bacteriol 179: 6378–6382. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Understanding cytochrome c function: Engineering protein structure by semisynthesis. FASEB 7: 505–515. .
- 1995. Peptide ligation and semisynthesis. Curr Opin Biotechnol 6: 403–410. .
- 1994. The role of the C-terminal domain and type III domains of chitinase A1 from Bacillus circulans WL-12 in chitin degradation. J Bacteriol 176: 4465–4472. , , , , ,
- 1988. Structure of phosphate-free ribonuclease A refined at 1.26 Å. Biochemistry 27: 2705–2717. , , ,
- 1996. Synergy in protein engineering: Mutagenic manipulation of protein structure to simplify semisynthesis. J Biol Chem 271: 32008–32015. , , , , .
- 1994. Protein splicing: An analysis of the branched intermediate and its resolution by succinimide formation. EMBO J 13: 5517–5522. , , , , , .
- 1996. The mechanism of protein splicing and its modulation by mutation. EMBO J 15: 5146–5153. , .