Determinants of strand register in antiparallel β-sheets of proteins
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1998 The Protein Society
Volume 7, Issue 11, pages 2287–2300, November 1998
How to Cite
Hutchinson, E. G., Sessions, R. B., Thornton, J. M. and Woolfson, D. N. (1998), Determinants of strand register in antiparallel β-sheets of proteins. Protein Science, 7: 2287–2300. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560071106
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JUL 1998
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 1998
- 1973. Principles that govern the folding of protein chains. Science 181: 223–230. .
- 1977. Protein Data Bank: A computer-based archival file for macromolecular structures. J Mol Biol 112: 535–542. , , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Native-like and structurally characterized designed alpha-helical bundles. Curr Opin Struct Biol 5: 457–463. , , .
- 1993. De-novo protein design—From molten globules to native-like states. Curr Opin Struct Biol 3: 601–610. , , .
- 1996. Crystallization of a designed peptide from a molten-globule ensemble. Fold Design 1: 57–64. , , , , , ,
- 1964. Applications of NMR spectroscopy in organic chemistry. San Francisco, London, Amsterdam: Holden-Day. , .
- 1988. Weakly polar interactions in proteins. Adv Protein Chem 39: 125–189. , .
- 1974. Conformational parameters for amino acids in helical, beta-sheet and random coil regions calculated from proteins. Biochemistry 13: 211–222. , .
- 1997. De novo protein design: Fully automated sequence selection. Science 278: 82–87. , .
- 1997a. Turn residue sequence determines beta-hairpin conformation in designed peptides. J Am Chem Soc 119: 175–183. , ,
- 1996. Conformational investigation of designed short linear peptides able to fold into beta-hairpin structures in aqueous solution. Fold Design 1: 133–144. , , , .
- 1997b. Cross-strand side-chain interactions versus turn conformation in ß-hairpins. Protein Sci 6: 2548–2560. , ,
- 1990. Dominant forces in protein folding. Biochemistry 29: 7133–7155. .
- 1995. Predicted beta-structure stability parameters under experimental test. Protein Eng 8: 207–209. .
- 1996. Incorporation of non-local interactions in protein secondary structure prediction from the amino acid sequence. Protein Eng 9: 133–142. ,
- 1996. Buried polar residues and structural specificity in the GCN4 leucine-zipper. Nature Struct Biol 3: 1011–1018. , ,
- 1997. Beta-hairpins in proteins revisited: Lessons for de novo design. Protein Eng 10: 1131–1141. , ,
- 1993. A switch between 2-stranded. 3-stranded and 4-stranded coiled coils in GCN4 leucine-zipper mutants. Science 262: 1401–1407. , , ,
- 1962a. NMR shifts in aromatic solvents. Mol Phys 5: 153–159. , .
- 1962b. Solvent effects in NMR spectra of amide solutions. Mol Phys 5: 139–152. , .
- 1993. Rational design and binding of modified cell-wall peptides to vancomycin-group antibiotics-factorizing free-energy contributions to binding. Tetrahedron 49: 9171–9182. , , , , .
- 1995. Recognizing native folds by the arrangement of hydrophobic and polar residues. J Mol Biol 252: 709–720. , ,
- 1995. Fold recognition and ab-initio structure predictions using hidden markov-models and beta-strand pair potentials. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 23: 398–402. ,
- 1990. The nature of π-π interactions. J Am Chem Soc 112: 5525–5534. , .
- 1991. π-π-interactions—The geometry and energetics of phenylalanine-phenylalanine interactions in proteins. J Mol Biol 218: 837–846. , , .
- 1995. Measuring the strength of side-chain hydrogen bonds in peptide helices—The Gln-center-dot-Asp-(i, i + 4) interaction. Biochemistry 34: 13267–13271. , , .
- 1983. Dictionary of protein secondary structure—Pattern recognition of hydrogen bonded and geometrical features. Biopolymers 22: 2577–2637. ,
- 1995. The physical properties of local interactions of tyrosine residues in peptides and unfolded proteins. J Mol Biol 245: 251–260. , .
- 1993. Local-structure due to an aromatic amide interaction observed by H-1-nuclear magnetic-resonance spectroscopy in peptides related to the n terminus of bovine pancreatic trypsin-inhibitor. J Mol Biol 230: 312–322. , , , .
- 1990. Peptidomimetics and the template approach to nucleation of beta-sheets and alpha-helices in peptides. Trends in Biotechnology 8: 249–255. .
- 1990. Synthesis and conformational-analysis of epindolidione-derived peptide models for beta-sheet formation. J Organic Chem 55: 4650–4657. , , .
- 1993. Thermodynamic beta-sheet propensities measured using a zinc finger host peptide. Nature 362: 267–270. , .
- 1993. PROCHECK: Program to check the stereochemical quality of protein structures. J App Cryst 26: 283–291. , , , .
- 1997. De novo design of the hydrophobic core of ubiquitin. Protein Sci 6: 1167–1178. , , .
- 1978. Conformational preferences for amino acids in globular proteins. Biochemistry 17: 4277–4285.
- 1980. Specific recognition in the tertiary structure of ß-sheets of proteins. J Mol Biol 139: 627–639. ,
- 1974a. Algorithms for prediction of α-helical and ß-structural regions of globular proteins. J Mol Biol 88: 873–894. .
- 1974b. Structural principles of the globular organization of protein chains: A stereochemical theory of globular protein secondary structure. J Mol Biol 88: 857–872. .
- 1987. Analysis of the relationship between side-chain conformation and secondary structure in globular proteins. J Mol Biol 198: 295–310. , , .
- 1994a. Measurement of the beta-sheet-forming propensities of amino acids. Nature 367: 660–663. , .
- 1994b. Context is a major determinant of beta-sheet propensity. Nature 371: 264–267. , .
- 1994. Amino/aromatic interactions in proteins—Is the evidence stacked against hydrogen-bonding? J Mol Biol 239: 315–331. , , , , .
- 1994. Intrinsic secondary structure propensities of the amino acids, using statistical phi-psi matrices—Comparison with experimental scales. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 20: 301–311. ,
- 1996. What makes a protein a protein—Hydrophobic core designs that specify stability and structural properties. Protein Sci 5: 1584–1593. , , , , , ,
- 1997. Local interactions of aromatic residues in short peptides in aqueous solution: A combined database and energetic analysis. Fold Design 2: S62–S68. , , .
- 1992. Fast structure alignment for protein databank searching. Proteins 14: 139–167. , , .
- 1995. Side-chain determinants of beta-sheet stability. Biochemistry 34: 5718–5724. , .
- 1994a. Helix-stabilizing interaction between tyrosine and leucine or valine when the spacing is i, i + 4. J Mol Biol 241: 706–713. , .
- 1994b. Tests for helix-stabilizing interactions between various nonpolar side-chains in alanine-based peptides. Protein Sci 3: 1992–1997. , .
- 1998. A stable single layer beta-sheet without a hydrophobic core. Nature Struct Biol 5: 115–119. , ,
- 1987. Tertiary templates for proteins: Use of packing criteria in the enumeration of allowed sequences for different structural classes. J Mol Biol 193: 775–791. , .
- 1992. A de novo designed protein shows a thermally induced transition from a native to a molten globule-like state. J Am Chem Soc 114: 10079–10081. , .
- 1997. Role of beta-turn residues in beta-hairpin formation and stability in designed peptides. J Mol Biol 273: 898–912. , , ,
- 1996. De-novo design and structural-analysis of a model beta-hairpin peptide system. Nature Struct Biol 3: 604–612. , ,
- 1997. A protein designed by binary patterning of polar and nonpolar amino acids displays native-like properties. J Am Chem Soc 119: 5302–5306. , , , , , .
- 1995. Rasmol—Biomolecular graphics for all. Trends Biochem Sci 20: 374–376. , .
- 1995. A short linear peptide derived from the N-terminal sequence of ubiquitin folds into a water-stable non-native beta-hairpin. Nature Struct Biol 2: 999–1006. , , .
- 1989. Filtering molecular-dynamics trajectories to reveal low-frequency collective motions: Phospholipase A2. J Mol Biol 210: 617–633. , , .
- 1995. Guidelines for protein design—The energetics of beta-sheet side-chain interactions. Science 270: 980–982. ,
- 1994. A thermodynamic scale for the beta-sheet forming tendencies of the amino acids. Biochemistry 33: 5510–5517. , ,
- 1997. Hydrogen bonding interactions between glutamine and asparagine in α-helical peptides. J Mol Biol 272: 465–473. , .
- 1995. A simple protein-folding algorithm using a binary code and secondary structure constraints. Protein Eng 8: 769–778. , , .
- 1995. Intrinsic phi, psi propensities of amino acids, derived from the coil regions of known structures. Nature Struct Biol 2: 596–603. , , .
- 1995. Conserved structural features on protein surfaces—Small exterior hydrophobic clusters. J Mol Biol 249: 251–258. , .
- 1995. Prediction of the structure of GroES and its interaction with GroEL. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 22: 199–209. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Binary patterning of polar and nonpolar amino acids in the sequences and structures of native proteins. Protein Sci 4: 2032–2039. , .
- 1995. Predicting oligomerization states of coiled coils. Protein Sci 4: 1596–1607. ,
- 1995. The aromatic-( i + 2) amine interaction in peptides. J Phys Chem 99: 17473–17482. , .
- 1995. An analysis of side-chain interactions and pair correlations within antiparallel beta-sheets: The differences between backbone hydrogen bonded and non-hydrogen-bonded residue pairs. Proteins 22: 119–131. , .