Global analysis of the thermal and chemical denaturation of the N-terminal domain of the ribosomal protein L9 in H2O and D2O. Determination of the thermodynamic parameters, ΔH°, ΔS°, and ΔC°p, and evaluation of solvent isotope effects
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1998 The Protein Society
Volume 7, Issue 11, pages 2405–2412, November 1998
How to Cite
Kuhlman, B. and Raleigh, D. P. (1998), Global analysis of the thermal and chemical denaturation of the N-terminal domain of the ribosomal protein L9 in H2O and D2O. Determination of the thermodynamic parameters, ΔH°, ΔS°, and ΔC°p, and evaluation of solvent isotope effects. Protein Science, 7: 2405–2412. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560071118
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUN 1998
- Manuscript Received: 11 MAY 1998
- 1991. Cold denaturation and 2H2O stabilization of a staphylococcal nuclease mutant. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 7715–7718. , , , , .
- 1962. A deuterium isotope effect on the excess enthalpy of methanol-water solutions. J Phys Chem 67: 858–861. , .
- 1963. The thermodynamics of the ternary system: Urea sodium chloride-water at 25°C. J Phys Chem 67: 1524–1527. , .
- 1962. The strengths of hydrogen bonds formed by protium and deuterium. J Am Chem Soc 84: 3966–3967. , .
- 1972. Aqueous solution structure as determined from thermodynamic parameters of transfer from water to heavy water. J Phys Chem 76: 2045–2050. .
- 1971. Enthalpies and excess enthalpies of transfer of n-alkylamine hydrobromides from H2O to D2O at 25°C. Can J Chem 49: 3460–3467. , , ,
- 1979. Effect of hydration on the thermal stability of protein as measured by differential scanning calorimetry. Lysozyme-D2O system. Bull Chem Soc Jpn 52: 2349–2352. ,
- 1970. Effects of D2O on the association-dissociation equilibrium in subunit proteins. J Biol Chem 245: 3733–3737. , , .
- 1996. Ribosomal protein L9: A structure determination by the combined use of X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy. J Mol Biol 264: 1058–1071. , , , ,
- 1994. Crystal structure of prokaryotic ribosomal protein L9: A bi-lobed RNA-binding protein. EMBO J 13: 205–212. , , , , , ,
- 1996. Heat and cold denatured states of monomeric λ repressor are thermodynamically and conformationally equivalent. Biochemistry 35: 6173–6180. , .
- 1996. Solvent isotope effects on the refolding of hen egg-white lysozyme. Protein Sci 5: 140–146. , .
- 1995. Protein stability as a function of denaturant concentration: Thermal stability of Barnase in the presence of urea. Biochemistry 34: 6795–6804. , .
- 1965. The effect of D2O on the thermal stability of proteins. Thermodynamic parameters for the transfer of model compounds from H2O to D2O. J Phys Chem 69: 3132–3144. , , .
- 1998. Structure and stability of the N-terminal domain from the ribosomal protein L9: Evidence for two-state folding. Biochemistry 37: 1025–1032. , , , .
- 1995. Solvent isotope effect and protein stability. Nat Struct Biol 2: 852–855. , , .
- 1995. Energetics of protein structure. Adv Protein Chem 47: 307–417. , .
- 1996. Hyperthermophile protein folding thermodynamics: Differential scanning calorimetry and chemical denaturation of Sac7d. J Mol Biol 264: 784–805. , , .
- 1992. Thermodynamics of structural stability and cooperative folding behavior. Adv Protein Chem 43: 313–361. ,
- 1995. Denaturant m values and heat capacity changes: Relation to changes in accessible surface areas of protein unfolding. Protein Sci 4: 2138–2148. , , .
- 1996. Conformational stability of the Escherichia coli HPr protein: Test of the linear extrapolation method and a thermodynamic characterization of cold denaturation. Biochemistry 35: 11369–11378. , .
- 1997. Thermodynamic solvent isotope effects and molecular hydrophobicity. Adv Biophys Chem 6: 1–52. , .
- 1997. Amide backbone and water-related H/D isotope effects on the dynamics of a protein folding reaction. Biochemistry 36: 5786–5794. , .
- 1997. Comparison of NH exchange and circular dichroism as techniques for measuring the parameters of the helix-coil transition in peptides. Biochemistry 36: 8435–8442. , .
- 1997. Protein folding kinetics exhibit an Arrhenius temperature dependence when corrected for the temperature dependence of protein stability. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 10636–10640. ,
- 1996. Relative stability of hydrogen and deuteriurn bonds. J Am Chem Soc 118: 1511–1521. ,
- 1989. Experiments in physical chemistry, 5th ed., New York: McGraw-Hill Inc. , , .
- 1970. Water structure in solutions of the sodium salts of some aliphatic acids. J Phys Chem 74: 2148–2152. ,
- 1992. Use of liquid hydrocarbon and amide transfer data to estimate contributions to thermodynamic functions of protein folding from the removal of nonpolar and polar surface from water. Biochemistry 31: 3947–3955. , , .
- 1997. Characterization of the free energy spectrum of peptostreptococcal proein L. Fold Des 2: 271–280. , , , ,