Pulmonary surfactant-associated polypeptide C in a mixed organic solvent transforms from a monomeric α-helical state into insoluble β-sheet aggregates
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1998 The Protein Society
Volume 7, Issue 12, pages 2533–2540, December 1998
How to Cite
Szyperski, T., Wüthrich, K., Vandenbussche, G., Ruysschaert, J.-M., Curstedt, T. and Johansson, J. (1998), Pulmonary surfactant-associated polypeptide C in a mixed organic solvent transforms from a monomeric α-helical state into insoluble β-sheet aggregates. Protein Science, 7: 2533–2540. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560071206
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 1998
- Manuscript Received: 29 APR 1998
- Swedish Medical Research Council. Grant Number: 13X-10371
- Schweizerischer Nationalfonds. Grant Number: 31.32033.91
- 1997. Responsive gels formed by the spontaneous self-assembly of peptides into polymeric β-sheet tapes. Nature 386: 259–262. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Prion research: The next frontiers. Nature 389: 795–798. ,
- 1992. Structure and functions of a dimeric form of surfactant protein SP-C: A Fourier transform infrared and surfactometry study. Chem Phys Lipids 63: 91–104. , , , , .
- 1994. Kinetic versus thermodynamics in protein folding. Biochemistry 33: 7505–7509. , .
- 1995. The program XEASY for computer-supported NMR spectral analysis of biological macromolecules. J Biomol NMR 6: 1–10. , , , ,
- 1994. Localization, synthesis, and processing of surfactant protein SP-C in rat lung analyzed by epitope-specific antipeptide antibodies. J Biol Chem 269: 20318–20328. , , , .
- 1995. Synthesis and processing of hydrophobic surfactant protein C by isolated rat type II cells. Am J Physiol 269: L744–L753. ,
- 1984. Structure determination of a tetrasaccharide: Transient nuclear overhauser effects in the rotating frame. J Am Chem Soc 106: 811–813. , , , , .
- CareyPR, ed. 1996. Protein engineering and design. New York: Academic Press.
- 1997. Touring the landscapes: Partially folded proteins examined by hydrogen exchange. Structure 5: 859–863. ,
- 1997. Hydrogen exchange at equilibrium: A short cut for analysing protein-folding pathways? Trends Biochem Sci 22: 284–287. , , .
- 1987. Two hydrophobic low-molecular-mass protein fractions of pulmonary surfactant. Characterization and biophysical activity. Eur J Biochem 168: 255–262. , , , ,
- 1976. Digital filtering with a sinusoidal window function: An alternative technique for resolution enhancement. J Magn Reson 24: 210–204. ,
- 1996. Fast events in protein folding. Nat Struct Biol 4: 1133–1139. , , , ,
- 1996. Mechanisms and uses of hydrogen exchange. Curr Opin Struct Biol 6: 18–23. , , ,
- 1935. The activated complex in chemical reactions. J Chem Phys 3: 107–115.
- 1991. A leucine-rich repeat peptide derived from Drosophila Toll receptor forms extended filaments with a β-sheet structure. FEES Lett 291: 87–91. , , , .
- 1988. cDNA, deduced polypeptide structure and chromosomal assignment of human pulmonary surfactant proteolipid, SPL (pVal). J Biol Chem 263: 9–12. , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Alzheimer's disease: Initial report of the purification and characterization of a novel cerebrovascular amyloid protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 120: 885–890. , .
- 1994. Determination of soluble and membrane protein structure by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. III. Secondary structures. Subcell Biochem 23: 405–450. , , .
- 1988. Clean-TOCSY for 1H spin system identification in macromolecules. J Am Chem Soc 110: 7870–7872. , , , .
- 1992. Processing of multi-dimensional NMR data with the new software PROSA. J Biomol NMR 2: 619–629. , , ,
- 1997. The prion folding problem. Curr Opin Struct Biol 7: 53–59. , , , , .
- 1993. TMbase—A database of membrane spanning proteins segments. Biol Chem Hoppe-Seyler 347: 166–176. ,
- 1966. Hydrogen exchange in proteins. Adv Protein Chem 21: 287–386. , .
- 1997. Molecular structures and interactions of pulmonary surfactant components. Eur J Biochem 244: 675–693. ,
- 1988. Size and structure of the hydrophobic low molecular weight surfactant-associated polypeptide. Biochemistry 27: 3544–3547. , , ,
- 1995a. Secondary structure and biophysical activity of synthetic analogues of the pulmonary surfactant polypeptide SP-C. Biochem J 307: 535–541. , , , , ,
- 1991. Canine hydrophobic surfactant polypeptide SP-C: A lipopeptide with one thioester-linked palmitoyl group. FEBS Lett 281: 119–122. , , , , ,
- 1994. The NMR structure of the pulmonary surfactant-associated polypeptide SP-C in an apolar solvent contains a valyl-rich α-helix. Biochemistry 33: 6015–6023. , , ,
- 1995b. Pulmonary surfactant-associated polypeptide SP-C in lipid micelles: CD studies of intact SP-C and NMR secondary structure determination of depalmitoyl-SP-C (1–17). FEBS Lett 362: 261–265. , ,
- 1987. The precursor of Alzheimer s disease amyloid A4 protein resembles a cell surface receptor. Nature 325: 733–736. , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Alternative conformations of amyloidogenic proteins govern their behaviour. Curr Opin Struct Biol 6: 11–17. .
- 1996. MOLMOL: A program for display and analysis of macromolecular structures. J Mol Graph 14: 51–55. , ,
- 1995. The effect of environment on the stability of an integral membrane helix: Molecular dynamics simulations of surfactant protein C in chloroform, methanol and water. J Mol Biol 247: 808–822. , , , .
- 1994. A measure of helical propensity for amino acids in membrane environments. Nat Struct Biol 1: 368–373. , .
- 1997. Engineering peptides and proteins that undergo α-to-β transitions. Curr Opin Struct Biol 7: 501–508. ,
- 1991. Fourier transform infrared studies of secondary structure and orientation of pulmonary surfactant SP-C and its effect on the dynamic surface properties of phospholipids. Biochemistry 30: 10058–10064. , ,
- 1993. Solubility of hydrophobic surfactant proteins in organic solvent/water mixtures. Structural studies on SP-B and SP-C in aqueous organic solvents and lipids. Biochim Biophys Acta 1168: 261–270. , ,
- 1983. Improved spectral resolution in COSY proton NMR spectra of proteins via double quantum filtering. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 117: 479–485. , , , , ,
- 1981. The anatomy and taxonomy of protein structure. Adv Protein Chem 34: 167–339. .
- 1988. Amino acid preferences for specific locations at the ends of α-helices. Science 240: 1648–1652. , .
- RobertsonB, TaeuschHW, eds. 1995. Surfactant therapy for lung disease. New York: Marcel Dekker.
- 1985. Individual amide proton exchange rates in thermally unfolded basic pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. Biochemistry 24: 7407–7411. , ,
- 1994. Combining evolutionary information and neural networks to predict protein secondary structure. Proteins 19: 55–72. ,
- 1993. Lung surfactant proteins, SP-B and SP-C, alter the thermodynamic properties of phospholipid membranes: A differential calorimetry study. Biochemistry 32: 590–597. , , , , ,
- 1995. Incorporation of glutamine repeats makes protein oligomerize: Implications for neurogenerative disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 6509–6513. , , ,
- 1993. Determination of protein secondary structure by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy: A critical assessment. Biochemistry 32: 389–394. , ,
- 1992. Structure and orientation of the surfactant-associated protein C in a lipid bilayer. Eur J Biochem 203: 201–209. , , , , , .
- 1994. The pulmonary surfactant system. News Physiol Sci 9: 13–20. , ,
- 1991. Function and regulation of expression of pulmonary surfactant-associated proteins. Biochem J 273: 249–264. , .
- 1986. NMR of proteins and nucleic acids. New York: John Wiley.