Dominant role of local dipolar interactions in phosphate binding to a receptor cleft with an electronegative charge surface: Equilibrium, kinetic, and crystallographic studies
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1998 The Protein Society
Volume 7, Issue 12, pages 2550–2559, December 1998
How to Cite
Ledvina, P. S., Koehl, E., Tsai, A.-L., Wang, Z. and Quiocho, F. A. (1998), Dominant role of local dipolar interactions in phosphate binding to a receptor cleft with an electronegative charge surface: Equilibrium, kinetic, and crystallographic studies. Protein Science, 7: 2550–2559. doi: 10.1002/pro.5560071208
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 AUG 1998
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUN 1998
- NIH. Grant Numbers: GM-44911, GM-21371
- Welch Foundation. Grant Number: Q-0581
- NSF. Grant Number: STI-9512521
- 1991. Dipoles localized at helix termini of proteins stabilize charges. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 2026–2030. , , .
- 1994. Direct, real-time measurement of rapid inorganic phosphate release using a novel fluorescent probe and its application to actomyosin subfragment 1 ATPase. Biochemistry 33: 8262–8271. , , , .
- 1992. X-PLOR, Version 3.1, A system for X-ray crystallography and NMR. New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University. .
- 1995. Large amplitude twisting motions of an interdomain hinge: A disulfide trapping study of the galactose-glucose binding protein. Biochemistry 34: 3048–3055. , , , .
- 1994. Low-barrier hydrogen bonds and enzymic catalysis. Science 264: 1887–1890. , .
- 1991. Accurate bond and angle parameters for X-ray protein structure refinement. Acta Crystallogr A47: 392–400. ,
- 1993. Dominant role of local dipoles in stabilizing uncompensated charges on a sulfate sequestered in a periplasmic active transport protein. Protein Sci 2: 1643–1647. , .
- 1990. Hydrogen bonding and chemical reactivity. Adv Phys Org Chem 26: 255–379. ,
- 1992. Interdomain salt bridges modulate ligand-induced domain motion of the sulfate receptor protein for active transport. J Mol Biol 223: 27–30. , , , .
- 1991. Crystal structure of the lysine-, arginine-, ornithine-binding protein (LAO) from Salmonella typhimurium at 2.7 Å resolution. J Biol Chem 266: 23893–23899. , , , , , .
- 1986. Crystallization and x-ray diffraction studies of a phosphate-binding protein involved in active transport in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem 261: 7995–7996. , , , .
- 1996. Negative electrostatic surface potential of protein sites specific for anionic ligands. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 6786–6791. , , , .
- 1990. High specificity of a phosphate transport protein determined by hydrogen bonds. Nature 347: 402–406. , .
- 1970. The phosphate-binding protein of Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta 211: 158–168. ,
- 1983. Rales of ligand binding to periplasmic proteins involved in bacterial transport and chemo-taxis. J Biol Chem 258: 13665–13672. , , , .
- 1980. The mechanism of sugar binding to the periplasmic receptor for galactose chemotaxis and transport in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem 255: 2465–2471. , , .
- 1993. Grasp: Graphical representation and analysis of surface properties. Biophys J 64: 166–170. , ,
- 1995. 2 Å resolution structure of DppA, a periplasmic dipeptide transport/chemosensory receptor. Biochemistry 34: 16585–16595. , , .
- 1980. Effective charge on acetylcholinesterase active sites determined from the ionic strength dependence of association rate constants with cationic ligands. Biochemistry 19: 3705–3711. , ,
- 1997. Processing of X-ray diffraction data collected in oscillation mode. Methods Enzymol 276: 307–326. ,
- 1966. Purification and properties of a sulfate-binding protein from Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem 247: 5886–5892. .
- 1985. Sulphate sequestered in the sulfate-binding protein is bound solely by hydrogen bonds. Nature 314: 257–260. , .
- 1991. Atomic structure and function of periplasmic receptors for active transport and chemotaxis. Curr Opin Struct Biol 1: 922–933. .
- 1977. The 2.8-Å resolution structure of the L-arabinose-binding protein from Escherichia coli. Polypeptide chain folding, domain similarity, and probable location of sugar-binding site. J Biol Chem 252: 5142–5149. , , .
- 1996. Atomic structure and specificity of bacterial periplasmic receptors for active transport and chemotaxis: Variation of common themes. Mol Microbiol 20: 17–25. , .
- 1987. Stabilization of charges on isolated charged groups sequestered in proteins by polarized peptide units. Nature 327: 561–564. , , .
- 1997. CHAIN—A crystallographic modeling program. Methods Enzymol 277: 158–173. , .
- 1989. Periplasmic binding protein structure and function. Refined X-ray structures of the leucine/isoleucine/valine-binding protein and its complex with leucine. J Mol Biol 206: 171–191. , , .
- 1990. A Pro to Gly mutation in the hinge of the arabinose-binding protein enhances binding and alters specificity. Sugar-binding and crystallographic studies. J Biol Chem 265: 16592–16603. , , , .
- 1992. The mechanism of ligand binding to the periplasmic C4-dicarboxylate binding protein (DctP) from Rhodobacter capsulatus. J Biol Chem 267: 8064–8072. , , .
- 1994. Fine tuning the specificity of the periplasmic phosphate receptor for active transport. Site-directed mutagenesis, ligand binding, and crystallographic studies. J Biol Chem 269: 25091–25094. , , , .
- 1997. A low energy short hydrogen bond in very high resolution structures of protein receptor-phosphate complexes. Nat Struct Biol 4: 519–522. , , , .
- 1996. Modulation of a salt link does not affect binding of phosphate to its specific active transport receptor. Biochemistry 35: 2079–2085. , , , .
- 1994. Refined 1.89-Å structure of the histidine- binding protein complexed with histidine and its relationship with many other active transport/chemosensory proteins. Biochemistry 33: 4769–4779. , , .