Trevor Kletz studied chemistry at Liverpool University, England, and joined ICI in 1944. His first seven years were spent on research, mainly on infra-red spectroscopy, and then in 1952 he was transferred to Oil Works as manager of the isooctane plant. In January 1968 he was appointed Petrochemicals Division's first technical safety adviser with particular responsibility for process safety. Trevor was made an ICI Senior Research Associate in 1976 and an Industrial Professor at the University of Technology, Loughborough in 1978. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry and of the Institution of Chemical Engineers.
On retiring from ICI in 1982 he joined the University full-time.