Placing Transnational Migrants through Comparative Research: British Migrant Belonging in Five GCC Cities
Article first published online: 18 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Population, Space and Place
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 1–17, January 2014
How to Cite
Walsh, K. (2014), Placing Transnational Migrants through Comparative Research: British Migrant Belonging in Five GCC Cities. Popul. Space Place, 20: 1–17. doi: 10.1002/psp.1798
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 18 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 APR 2013
- ESRC. Grant Number: R42200134499
- 2010. Searching for belonging – an analytical framework. Geography Compass 4: 644–659. .
- 2002. Transnational elites in global cities: British expatriates in Singapore's financial district. Geoforum 33: 525–538. .
- 2005 Transnational elites in the city: British highly-skilled inter-company transferees (ICTs) in New York City's financial district. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 31: 245–268. .
- 2011. Servicing British expatriate ‘talent’ in Singapore: exploring ordinary transnationalism and the role of the ‘expatriate’ club. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 37: 709–728. .
- 2009. Lifestyle Migration. Basingstoke: Ashgate. , .
- 2010. From ‘trucial state’ to ‘postcolonial’ city? The imaginative geographies of British expatriates in Dubai. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 36: 1317–1334. , .
- 2005. Transnational urbanism: attending to everyday practices and mobilities. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 31(2): 227–233. , .
- 2006. The United Arab Emirates. Lynne Rienner: London. .
- 2010. Embodied transnationalism: bodies in transnational spaces. Population, Space and Place 16: 1–9. .
- 2008. Guest editorial – Comparative analyses of transnationalism: a geographic contribution to the field. Australian Geographer 39: 1–7. .
- 2008. Putting Transnationalism in Context: comparing Hong Kong Chinese-Australians in Sydney and Brisbane. The Australian Geographer 39(1), 81–98. , .
- 2010. ‘New Shanghailanders’ or ‘New Shanghainese’: western expatriates' narratives of emplacement in Shanghai. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 36: 1211–1228. .
- 2012. The New Expatriates. Postcolonial Approaches to Mobile Professionals. Routledge: London. , .
- 2010. Global Brit. Making the Most of the British Diaspora. Institute of Public Policy Research: London. , , .
- 1988. From settlers to skilled transients: the changing structure of British international migration. Geoforum 19: 401–410. .
- 1996. Transnational Connections: Culture, people, places. Routledge: London. .
- 2008. The social networks of British and Indian expatriate scientists in Boston. Geoforum 39: 1756–1765. .
- 2009. Constituting citizenship through the emotions: Singaporean transmigrants in London. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 99: 788–804. .
- 2004. Transnational Spaces. Routledge: London. , , .
- 2006. Introduction. Patterns of Prejudice 40: 189–195. , , .
- 2006. Arab versus Asian Migrant Workers in the GCC Countries. Working paper: UN Expert Group Meeting on International Migration and Development in the Arab Region, Beirut. .
- 2000. Sunset Lives: British Retirement Migration to the Mediterranean. Berg: Oxford. , , .
- 2009. Hong Kong: Migrant Lives, Landscapes, and Journeys. Chicago Press: Chicago. , .
- 2008. Migrating Identities: Gender, whiteness and Britishness in Post-colonial Hong Kong. Gender, Place and Culture 15: 45–60. .
- 2010. Expatriate Identities in Postcolonial Organizations: Working whiteness. Ashgate: Aldershot. .
- 2004. Transnational spaces and everyday lives. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers NS 29: 151–164. .
- 2007. Labour migration to world cities: with a research agenda for the Arab Gulf. Progress in Human Geography 31: 467–484. , .
- 2009. Guest editorial – Geographies of belonging. Environment and Planning A 41: 772–779. , .
- 1997. Transnational discourse: bringing geography back in. Antipode 29: 101–114. .
- 2000. The British on the Costa del Sol. Routledge: London. .
- 2005. Britain's Informal Empire in the Gulf 1820–1971. Journal of Social Affairs 22: 29–45. .
- 2007. Immigrants and world cities: from the hyper-diverse to the bypassed. GeoJournal 68: 103–117. , .
- 2011. Home and migration: mobilities, belongings and identities. Geography Compass 5: 517–530. , .
- 2009. Moving Histories of Class and Community: Identity, Place and Belonging in Contemporary England. Palgrave: Basingstoke, Hampshire. , .
- 2007. The community morphology of skilled migration: the changing role of voluntary and community organisations (VCOs) in the grounding of British migrant identities in Paris (France). Geoforum 38: 655–676. .
- 2008. Recent labor immigration policies in the oil-rich Gulf: how effective are they likely to be? ILO Asian Regional Programme on Governance of Labor Migration Working Paper No. 3. .
- 2001. The Transnational Capitalist Class. Wiley. .
- 2005. Transnational urbanism revisited. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 31: 235–244. .
- 2002. Gendering transnational communities: a comparison of Singapore and British migrants in China. Geoforum 33: 553–565. , .
- 2005. Singaporean and British transmigrants in China and the cultural politics of ‘contact zones’. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 31: 269–285. , .
- 2003. Introduction: transnationalism and its edges. Ethnic and Racial Studies 26: 207–17. , , .
- 2006. Belonging and the politics of belonging. Patterns of Prejudice 40: 197–214. .