Impacts of Service and Infrastructure Provision on Indigenous Temporary Mobility in the Northern Territory of Australia: Insights from the 2011 Census
Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2014
Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Population, Space and Place
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 99–116, January 2016
How to Cite
2016) Impacts of Service and Infrastructure Provision on Indigenous Temporary Mobility in the Northern Territory of Australia: Insights from the 2011 Census. Popul. Space Place, 22: 99–116. doi: 10.1002/psp.1871., , and (
- Issue online: 4 JAN 2016
- Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JUN 2014
- 2008. How realistic are the prospects for ‘Closing the Gaps’ in socioeconomic outcomes for Indigenous Australians? CAEPR discussion paper No. 287. Australian National University, Canberra. , , .
- 2011. Explanations for long-distance counter-urban migration into fringe areas in Denmark. Population, Space and Place 17: 627–641. .
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). 2006. Census of population and housing – 2006. Canberra. http://www.abs.gov.au
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). 2011. Household use of information technology, Australia, 2010-11. Catalogue Number 8146.0. Canberra. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/8146.0 [last accessed January 2014].
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). 2012a. 2011 Census of population and housing - counts of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians. Catalogue Number 2075.0. Canberra. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/2075.0 [last accessed January 2014].
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). 2012b. 2011 Census - counting persons, location on census night. Canberra. http://www.abs.gov.au
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). 2012c. 2011 Census of population and housing - details of undercount. Catalogue Number 2940.0. Canberra. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/cat/2940.0 [last accessed January 2014].
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). 2012d. 2011 Census - counting dwellings, location on census night. Canberra. http://www.abs.gov.au
- 2005. Social networks and travel: some hypotheses. In Social dimension of sustainable transport: transatlantic perspectives, Donaghy, KP, Poppelreuter, S, Rudinger, G (eds). Ashgate: Aldershot; 90–108. .
- 2012. Package ‘lme4’. http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/web/packages/lme4/lme4.pdf [last accessed January 2014]. , , .
- 2004. Flirting with Zelinsky in Aotearoa/NewZealand: a Maori mobility transition. In Population mobility and indigenous peoples in Australasia and Northern America, Taylor, J, Bell, M (eds). Routledge: London; 44–74. , .
- 1998. Patterns of temporary mobility in Australia: evidence from the 1991 census. Australian Geographical Studies 36: 58–81. , .
- 2000. Comparing temporary mobility with permanent migration. Tourism Geographies 2: 97–107. , .
- 2006. An analysis of the internal migration of Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. Australian Journal of Labour Economics 9: 33–50. , .
- 2009. The geography and demography of Indigenous temporary mobility: an analysis of the 2006 census snapshot. Journal of Population Research 26: 305–326. , .
- 2009. Generalized linear mixed models: a practical guide for ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24: 127–135. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Public housing and migration: a multi-level modelling approach. International Journal of Population Geography 3: 227–242. , .
- 2005. Healthy country – healthy people? Exploring the health benefits of Indigenous natural resource management. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 29: 117–122. , , , .
- 2002. Hierarchical Linear Models: Applications and Data Analysis Methods. Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks. , .
- 2011. Potential primary health care savings for chronic disease care associated with Australian Aboriginal involvement in land management. Health Policy 99: 83–89. , , , .
- 2011. Political economy, demography and development in Australia's Northern Territory. Canadian Geographer 55: 226–242. .
- 2006. On the Move: Mobility in the Modern Western World. Routledge: London. .
- 2009. Young adult migration from a Northern Plains Indian reservation: who stays and who leaves. Population Research and Policy Review 28: 641–660. , , , .
- Department of Community Services. 2014. Major remote towns - properly planned and designed towns. Northern Territory Government, Darwin. http://www.drdia.nt.gov.au [last accessed January 2014].
- Department of Housing. 2014. National partnership agreement on remote indigenous housing. Northern Territory Government, Darwin. http://www.housing.nt.gov.au/remotehousing/strategic_indigenous_housing_and_infrastructure_program [last accessed January 2014].
- Department of Social Services. 2014a. Stronger futures in the northern territory policy statement. Australian Government, Canberra. http://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/indigenous-australians/programs-services/stronger-futures-in-the-northern-territory-policy-statement [last accessed January 2014].
- Department of Social Services. 2014b. Priority communities. Australian Government, Canberra. http://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/indigenous-australians/programs-services/remote-service-delivery/priority-communities [last accessed January 2014].
- Department of Social Services. 2014c. Remote service delivery. Australian Government, Canberra. http://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/indigenous-australians/programs-services/remote-service-delivery [last accessed January 2014].
- Department of Social Services. 2014d. Local implementation plans - 2010. Australian Government, Canberra. http://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/indigenous-australians/publications-articles/communities-regions/local-implementation-plans-2010 [last accessed January 2014].
- 2002. Australia's regional youth exodus. Journal of Rural Studies 18: 209–212. .
- 2009. Healthy country, healthy people: policy implications of links between Indigenous human health and environmental condition in tropical Australia. The Australian Journal of Public Administration 68: 53–66. , , , , , .
- Culture-based enterprise opportunities for Indigenous people in the Northern Territory, Australia. In Indigenous people and economic development, , , (eds). Gower: Farnham. , , . in press.
- 2011. A framework for reimagining Indigenous mobility and homelessness. Urban Policy and Research 29: 401–414. .
- 2013. Australian housing policy, misrecognition and Indigenous population mobility. Housing Studies 28: 764–781. .
- 2011. Improving housing responses to Indigenous pattern mobility. AHURI Report No. 162, Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, Melbourne. , , , , , , ,
- 2008. The domestication of the mobile phone: oral society and new ICTs in Burkina Faso. Journal of Modern African Studies 46: 87–109. , .
- 1994. Female flight? Gender balance and outmigration by Native Alaskan villagers. Artic Medical Research 53: 189–193. , .
- 2006. Mobilities, immobilities and moorings. Mobilities 1: 1–22. , , .
- 1970. Migration, unemployment and development: a two-sector analysis. American Economic Review 60: 126–142. , .
- 2013. Understanding rural migration in industrialised countries: the role of heterogeneity, amenities and social networks. European Review of Agricultural Economics 40: 95–120. , , .
- 2005. Applied Choice Analysis: A Primer. Cambridge University Press: New York. , , .
- 1988. Multinomial and conditional logit discrete-choice models in demography. Demography 25: 415–427. , .
- 2004. Spatial choice modelling: new opportunities to incorporate space into substitution patterns. Progress in Human Geography 28: 746–766. , , ,
- 2004. Leaving home, returning home: migration as a labor market choice for Alaska Natives. The Annals of Regional Science 38: 75–92. , , .
- 2012. Temporary Indigenous mobility in remote South Australia: understanding the challenges for urban based health and social service delivery. Journal of Rural and Community Development 7: 16–36. , , .
- 2010a. Plugged in: remote Australian Indigenous youth and digital culture. CAEPR working paper No. 69. Australian National University, Canberra. .
- 2010b. Generational change, learning and remote Australian Indigenous youth. CAEPR working paper No. 68. Australian National University, Canberra. .
- 2007.Mobile communications, social networks, and urban travel: hypertext as a new metaphor for conceptualizing spatial interaction. The Professional Geographer 59: 434–446. .
- 2012. Labour mobility and housing: the impact of housing tenure and housing affordability on labour migration in the Czech Republic. Urban Studies 49: 489–504. , .
- 1996. Ethnographic perspectives on the enumeration of Aboriginal people in remote Australia. Journal of the Australian Population Association 13: 17–31. , .
- 2006. Indigenous mobility in rural and remote Australia. AHURI Final Report 90. University of Queensland, Brisbane. , , .
- 2004. When systems collide: the 2001 Census at a Northern Territory outstation. In Making Sense of the Census: Observations of the 2001 Enumeration In Remote Aboriginal Australia. Australian National University E Press, Martin, D, Morphy, F, Sanders, WG, Taylor, J (eds). Canberra; 29–75. .
- 2007. Mobility and its consequences: the 2006 enumeration in the north-east Arnhem Land region. In Agency, contingency and census process: observations of the 2006 Indigenous Enumeration Strategy in remote Aboriginal Australia, Morphy, F (ed). Australian National University E Press: Canberra; 33-54. .
- 2010. (Im)mobility: Regional population structures in Aboriginal Australia. Australian Journal of Social Issues 45: 363–382. .
- 2009. The impacts of mobile phone coverage expansion and personal networks on migration: evidence from Uganda. National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies: Tokyo. .
- 2007. Telehealth in context: socio-technical barriers to Telehealth use in Labrador, Canada. Computer Supported Cooperative Work 16: 595–614. .
- 2000. An expanding Aboriginal domain: mobility and the initiation journey. Oceania 70: 205–218. .
- 2007. Revising the Harris-Todaro framework to model labour migration from the Canadian Northern Frontier. Journal of Population Research 24: 185–205. .
- 2008a. On the move? Indigenous temporary mobility practices in Australia. CAEPR working paper No. 48. Australian National University, Canberra. .
- 2008b. The entangled relationship between Indigenous spatiality and government service delivery. CAEPR working paper No. 41. Australian National University, Canberra. .
- 2009. Security and belonging: reconceptualising Aboriginal mobilities in Yamatji country, Western Australia. Mobilities 4: 177–202. .
- 2012. Indigenous wellbeing frameworks in Australia and the quest for quantification. Social Indicators Research 109: 317–336. .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing: Vienna, Austria.
- 2007. Polar women go south. Journal of Nordregio 7: 20–22. ,
- 2010. Working Future: a critique of policy by numbers. CAEPR working paper No. 72. Australian National University, Canberra. .
- 2006. The new mobilities paradigm. Environment and Planning A 38: 207–226. , .
- 1999. Contesting citizenship in urban China: Peasant migrants, the state, and the logic of the market. University of California Press: Berkeley. .
- Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision (SCRGSP). 2011. Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage: Key Indicators 2011. Productivity Commission: Canberra.
- 1998. Measuring short-term population mobility among Indigenous Australians: options and implications. Australian Geographer 29: 125–137. .
- 2011. Current evidence of ‘female flight’ from remote Northern Territory Aboriginal communities – demographic and policy implications. Migration Letters 8: 77–89. .
- 2012a. More than mobile: migration and mobility impacts from the “technologies of change” for Aboriginal communities in the remote Northern Territory of Australia. Mobilities 7: 269–294. .
- 2012b. Indigenous mobility and school attendance in remote Australia: Cause or effect? International Journal of Educational Research 54: 31–40. .
- 1996. Mobility among Indigenous Australians. In Population Shift: Mobility and Change in Australia, Newton, P, Bell, M (eds). Australian Government Publishing Service: Canberra; 392–411. , .
- 2004. Continuity and change in Indigenous Australian population mobility. In Population mobility and Indigenous peoples in Australasia and North America, Taylor, J, Bell, M (eds). Routledge: London; 13–44. , .
- 2012. Towards comparative measures of circulation: insights from Indigenous Australia. Population, Space and Place 18: 567–578. , .
- 2009. Indigenous mobility and the Northern Territory emergency response. People and Place 17: 29–31. , .
- 2010. Conceptualising and measuring indigenous student mobility in the Northern Territory. Australian Journal of Indigenous Education 39: 88–97. , .
- 2011a. The 'problem' of Indigenous migration in the globalised state. In Demography at the Edge: Remote Human Populations in Developed Nations, Carson, D, Rasmussen, R, Ensign, PC, Huskey, L and Taylor, A (eds). Ashgate Publishing: Farnham; 163–188. , , , .
- 2011b. The challenge of enumeration and population estimation in remote areas. In Demography at the Edge: Remote Human Populations in Developed Nations, Carson, D, Rasmussen, R, Ensign, PC, Huskey, L, Taylor, A (eds). Ashgate Publishing: Farnham; 21–38. , , , ,
- 2002. Mobility and proximity. Sociology 36: 255–274. .
- 2007. Mobilities. Polity: London. .
- 2004. Searching for a residential resting place: population in-migration and circulation in Mid-Wales. Population, Space and Place 10: 311–329. .
- 2000. The turmoil of Aboriginal enumeration: mobility and service population analysis in a Central Australian community. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 24: 444–449. , , .
- 2012. Migration, housing market, and labor market responses to employment shocks. Journal of Urban Economics 72: 267–284. .
- 1971. The hypothesis of the mobility transition. Geographical Review 61: 219–249. .