New forms of gentrification: issues and debates
Article first published online: 18 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Population, Space and Place
Special Issue: New Forms of Gentrification
Volume 16, Issue 5, pages 335–343, September/October 2010
How to Cite
Rérat, P., Söderström, O. and Piguet, E. (2010), New forms of gentrification: issues and debates. Popul. Space Place, 16: 335–343. doi: 10.1002/psp.585
- Issue published online: 2 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 18 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2009
- 2005. Gentrification in a Global Context: the New Urban Colonialism. Routledge: London and New York. , (eds).
- 2004. Table ronde: la mixité est-elle une politique? Esprit 303: 121–142. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Designer neighbourhoods: new-build residential development in nonmetropolitan UK cities – the case of Bristol. Environment and Planning A 39: 86–105. .
- 2006. Super-gentrification in Barnsbury, London: globalisation and gentrifying global elites at the neighbourhood level. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 31: 467–487. , .
- 2003. London Calling: the Middle Class and the Re-making of Inner London. Berg: Oxford. , .
- 2007. Beyond gentrification: the demographic reurbanisation of Bologna. Environment and Planning A 39: 64–85. , , .
- 2005. Households matter: the demography of urban transformation. Progress in Human Geography 29: 413–436. , , .
- 1989. Gentrification and desire. Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology 26: 617–632. .
- 2005. New-build ‘gentrification’ and London's riverside renaissance. Environment and Planning A 37: 1165–1190. , .
- 2009. New-build gentrification: its histories, trajectories, and critical geographies. Population, Space and Place 16: in press. DOI: 10.1002/psp.584. , .
- 1999. Designing the City: towards a More Sustainable Urban Form. Routledge: London. .
- 1964. Introduction. In Aspects of Change, Centre for Urban Studies (ed.). MacGibbon & Kee: London; xii–xlii. .
- 2005. Tourism gentrification: the case of New Orleans' Vieux Carre (French Quarter). Urban Studies 42: 1099–1121. .
- 2009. Emergent spaces of reurbanisation: exploring the demographic dimension of inner-city residential change in a European setting. Population, Space and Place 16: in press. DOI: 10.1002/psp.603. , , , , , .
- 2001. The changing face of gentrification. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie 22: 464–477. , .
- 1991. The blind men and the elephant: the explanation of gentrification. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 16: 173–189. .
- 2009. New-build gentrification in central Shanghai: demographic changes and socioeconomic implications. Population, Space and Place 16: in press. DOI: 10.1002/psp.548. .
- 2009. Gendering reurbanization: women and new-build gentrification in Toronto. Population, Space and Place 16: in press. DOI: 10.1002/psp.581. .
- 1985. Towards an analysis of the role of gay communities in the urban renaissance. Urban Geography 6: 387–410. , .
- 2000. A re-appraisal of gentrification: towards a geography of gentrification. Progress in Human Geography 24: 398–408. .
- 2003. Super-gentrification: the case of Brooklyn Heights, New York City. Urban Studies 40: 2487–2500. .
- 2009. Urban renaissance in an urban recession: the end of gentrification? Environment and Planning A 41: 1529–1533. .
- 2008. Gentrification and public policy. Urban Studies 45: 2379–2648. , (eds).
- 2008. Gentrification. Routledge: New York. , , .
- 1996. The New Middle Class and the Remaking of the Central City. Oxford University Press: Oxford. .
- 2003. Artists, aestheticisation and the field of gentrification. Urban Studies 40: 2527–2544. .
- 1999. Sustainability and Cities: Overcoming Automobile Dependence. Island Press: Washington, DC. , .
- 2004. The second demographic transition, new household forms and the urban population of France during the 1990s. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 29: 88–105. , .
- 2004. Other geographies of gentrification. Progress in Human Geography 28: 5–30. .
- 2009. Counterurbanisation and rural gentrification: an exploration of the terms. Population, Space and Place 16: in press. DOI: 10.1002/psp.570. .
- 2009. From urban wastelands to new-build gentrification: the case of Swiss cities. Population, Space and Place 16: in press. DOI: 10.1002/psp.595. , , , .
- 2003. ‘I want to be global’: theorising the gentrifying class as an emergent elite global community. Urban Studies 40: 2511–2526. .
- 1984. Rethinking gentrification: beyond the uneven development of marxist urban theory. Environment and Planning D 1: 47–74. .
- 2009. Local state policy and ‘new-build gentrification’ in Montréal: the role of the ‘population factor’ in a fragmented governance context. Population, Space and Place 16: in press. DOI: 10.1002/psp.592. .
- 2006. The eviction of critical perspectives from gentrification research. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 30: 737–757. .
- 2002. Extending the temporal and spatial limits of gentrification: a research agenda for population geographers. International Journal of Population Geography 8: 385–394. .
- 2007. Conceptualising the sociospatial diversity of gentrification: ‘to boldly go’ into contemporary gentrified spaces, the ‘final frontier?’ Environment and Planning A 29: 2–9. , .
- 1984. Uneven Development: Nature, Capital and the Production of Space. Blackwell: Oxford. .
- 1996. The New Urban Frontier – Gentrification and the Revanchist City. Routledge: London and New York. .
- 2002. Urban Sprawl: Causes, Consequences and Policy Responses. The Urban Institute Press: Washington, DC. .
- 2009. ‘Gentrifying the reurbanisation debate’, not vice versa. The uneven sociospatial implications of changing transitions to adulthood in Brussels. Population, Space and Place 16: in press. DOI: 10.1002/psp.582. .
- 2006. La ville branchée: gentrification et dynamiques commerciales à Paris et à Bruxelles. Belgeo 1/2: 113–133. , .
- 1987. Europe's second demographic transition. Population Bulletin 42: 57. .
- 1994. Gentrification as a research frontier. Progress in Human Geography 18: 74–83. .
- 1991. Gentrification as consumption: issues of class and gender. Environment and Planning D 9: 223–232. .
- 1995. The Cultures of Cities. Blackwell: Cambridge, MA. .