The temporal, social, spatial, and legal dimensions of return and onward migration
Article first published online: 2 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Population, Space and Place
Special Issue: Return and Onward Migration
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 131–139, March/April 2011
How to Cite
Jeffery, L. and Murison, J. (2011), The temporal, social, spatial, and legal dimensions of return and onward migration. Popul. Space Place, 17: 131–139. doi: 10.1002/psp.606
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 2 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 20 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Received: 20 DEC 2008
- 2005. Introduction. In Diaspora, Memory, and Identity: A Search for Home, AgnewV (ed.). University of Toronto Press: Toronto; 3–21.
- 2003. Introduction: uprootings/regroundings: questions of home and migration. In Uprootings/Regroundings: Questions of Home and Migration, AhmedS, CastañedaC, FortierA-M, ShellerM (eds). Berg: Oxford; 1–19. , , ,
- 1996. In Search of Cool Ground: War, Flight and Homecoming in Northeast Africa. UNRISD in association with Africa World Press and James Currey: London. (ed.).
- 1994. When Refugees Go Home: African Experiences. UNRISD in association with Africa World Press and James Currey: London. , (eds).
- 1996. Introduction: in search of cool ground. In In Search of Cool Ground: War, Flight and Homecoming in Northeast Africa, AllenT (ed.). UNRISD in association with Africa World Press and James Currey: London; 1–22. ,
- 2001. Turning transnational: notes on the theorisation of international migration. International Journal of Population Geography 7: 413–428.
- 2007. The Meaning and Use of Identity Papers: Handheld and Heartfelt Nationality in the Borderlands of North-West Zambia. IMI Working Paper 5.
- 1994. Nations Unbound: Transnational Projects, Postcolonial Predicaments and Deterritorialized Nation-States. Gordon & Breach: Langhorne, PA. , ,
- 2002. Conceptions of ‘home’ and the political geography of refugee repatriation: between assumption and contested reality in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Applied Geography 22: 123–138.
- 2004. Migration, return and development in West Africa. Population, Space and Place 10: 75–83. ,
- 1999. The End of the Refugee Cycle? Refugee Repatriation and Reconstruction. Berghahn Books: Oxford. , (eds).
- 2004. Theorising return migration: the conceptual approach to return migrants revisited. International Journal on Multicultural Societies 6(2): 253–279.
- 2008. Migration in a family way. Population, Space and Place 14: 255–265.
- 1999. Returning strangers: the children of Malawian refugees come ‘home’? Journal of Refugee Studies 12(3): 265–283. , ,
- 2004. Home for good? Forced Migration Review 21. , (eds).
- 2001. The production of mobilities. New Formations 43(1): 11–25.
- 2002. Narrative, Age and Migration: Life History and the Life Course amongst Bengali Elders in London. Berg: London.
- 2003. Migration, modernity and social transformation in South Asia: an overview. Contributions to Indian Sociology 37(1/2): vi–xxviii. ,
- 1992. Toward a Transnational Perspective on Migration. New York Academy of Sciences: New York. , , (eds).
- 1980. Return migration. Annual Review of Anthropology 9: 135–159.
- 2004. This Place Will Become Home: Refugee Repatriation to Ethiopia. Cornell University Press: Ithaca, NY.
- 2010. Theory and practice of return migration at retirement: the case of migrant worker hostel residents in France. Population Space and Place; DOI: 10.1002/psp.610.
- 2010. Refuchess: Locating Bosniac repatriates after the war in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Population Space and Place; DOI: 10.1002/psp.607.
- 2009. Introduction: towards an anthropology of violence, hope, and the movement of people. In Struggles for Home: Violence, Hope and the Movement of People, JansenS, LöfvingS (eds). Berghahn: Oxford; 1–23. ,
- 1995. The local and the global: the anthropology of globalization and transnationalism. Annual Review of Anthropology 24: 547–565.
- 1999. Revisiting the debate on people, place, identity and displacement. Journal of Refugee Studies 12(4): 384–428.
- 1999. The end of the refugee cycle? In The End of the Refugee Cycle? Refugee Repatriation and Reconstruction, BlackR, KoserK (eds). Berghahn Books: Oxford; 2–15. ,
- 1996. Introduction: displacement, diaspora, and geographies of identity. In Displacement Diaspora, and Geographies of Identity, LavieS, SwedenburgT (eds). Duke University Press: Durham, NC; 1–25. ,
- 2003. International perspectives on transnational migration: an introduction. International Migration Review 37(3): 565–575. , ,
- 2004. Coming Home? Refugees, Migrants, and Those Who Stayed Behind. University of Pennsylvania Press: Philadelphia, PA. , (eds).
- 1992. National geographic: the rooting of peoples and the territorialization of national identity among scholars and refugees. Cultural Anthropology 7(1): 24–44.
- 2004. The home(s) of homecomings. In Homecomings: Unsettling Paths of Return, MarkowitzF, StefanssonAH (eds). Lexington Books: Lanham, MD; 21–33.
- 2004. Homecomings: Unsettling Paths of Return. Lexington Books: Lanham, MD. , (eds).
- 2005. Ghosts and shadows: memory and resilience among the Eritrean diaspora. In Diaspora, Memory, and Identity: A Search for Home, AgnewV (ed.). University of Toronto Press: Toronto; 151–170. ,
- 2007. Caribbean Journeys: An Ethnography of Migration and Home in Three Family Networks. Duke University Press: Durham, NC.
- 2004. Introduction: an ethnography of return. In Coming Home? Refugees Migrants, and Those Who Stayed Behind, LongLD, OxfeldE (eds). University of Pennsylvania Press: Philadelphia, PA; 1–15. , (eds).
- 2009. The complex interconnections of the migration-development nexus: a social perspective. Population, Space and Place 15: 93–101.
- 2003. Theoretical convergencies and empirical evidence in the study of immigrant transnationalism. International Migration Review 37(3): 874–892.
- 1999. Transnational communities. Special issue. Ethnic and Racial Studies 22: 2. , , (eds).
- 1994. Repatriation of refugees: a not so simple ‘optimum’ solution. In When Refugees Go Home: African Experiences, AllenT, MorsinkH (eds). UNRISD in association with Africa World Press and James Currey: London; 14–49.
- 2010. ‘Mobile transmigrants’ or ‘unsettled returnees’? Myth of return and permanent resettlement among Senegalese migrants. Population, Space and Place; DOI: 10.1002/psp.608.
- 2004. Linking transnational migrants and transnationalism. Population, Space and Place 10: 357–360. ,
- 1998. Transnationalism from below. Transaction Publishers: New Brunswick, NJ. , (eds).
- 2004. Homecomings to the future: from diasporic mythographies to social projects of return. In Homecomings: Unsettling Paths of Return Markowitz F, StefanssonAH (eds). Lexington Books: Lanham, MD; 2–20.
- 2007. Editorial introduction: bringing the ‘left behind’ back into view in Asia: a framework for understanding the ‘migration-left behind nexus’. Population, Space and Place 13: 157–161. , ,
- 2001. Transnationalism and identity. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 27(4): 573–582.
- 2004. Migrant transnationalism and modes of transformation. International Migration Review 38(3): 970–1001.
- 1999. ‘Introduction’. In Migration Diasporas and Transnationalism, VertovecS, CohenR (eds). Edward Elgar: Aldershot; xiii–xxviii. ,
- 2010. Hybridity, belonging and mobilities: the intercontinental peripatetics of a transnational community. Population, Space and Place; DOI: 10.1002/psp.609.
- 1994. Voluntary repatriation and the meaning of return to home: a critique of liberal mathematics. Journal of Refugee Studies 7(2/3): 160–174.