Special Issue Paper
Heterolocal Identities? Counter-Urbanisation, Second Homes, and Rural Consumption in the Era of Mobilities
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Population, Space and Place
Special Issue: Re-Making Migration Theory: Transitions, Intersections and Cross-Fertilisations
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 209–224, March/April 2012
How to Cite
Halfacree, K. (2012), Heterolocal Identities? Counter-Urbanisation, Second Homes, and Rural Consumption in the Era of Mobilities. Popul. Space Place, 18: 209–224. doi: 10.1002/psp.665
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 OCT 2010
- 2009. Recreational home agglomerations in rural areas in Norway as emerging economic and political space. In Proceedings of the Conference on Understanding and Managing Amenity-led Migration in Mountain Regions, Moss L, Glorioso R, Ryall A, Krause A (eds). Banff: Canada. .
- 2004. Place attachment of vacation residents: between tourists and permanent residents. In Tourism, Mobility and Second Homes, Hall C, Müller D (eds). Channel View Publications: Clevedon; 75–86. .
- 2005. Making Population Geography. Hodder Arnold: London. .
- 2004. Rural tourism in Spain. International Journal of Tourism Research 6: 137–149. .
- 1994. Nations Unbound: Transnational Projects, Postcolonial Predicaments, and Deterritorialized Nation-States. Gordon and Breach: Langhorne, PA. , , .
- 2000. Liquid Modernity. Polity: Cambridge. .
- 2000. Comparing permanent migration with temporary mobility. Tourism Geographies 2: 97–107. , .
- 1983. All that is Solid Melts into Air. Verso: London. .
- 1976. The counterurbanization process: urban America since 1970. In Urbanization and Counter-urbanization, Berry B (ed.). Sage: Beverly Hills, CA; 17–30. .
- 2007. Cultural geographies of migration: mobility, transnationality and diaspora. Progress in Human Geography 31: 684–694. .
- 2006. Home. Routledge: London. , .
- Boyle P, Halfacree K (eds). 1998a. Migration into Rural Areas: Theories and Issues. Wiley: London.
- 1998b. Migration into rural areas: a collective behaviour framework? In Migration into Rural Areas: Theories and Issues, Boyle P, Halfacree K (eds). Wiley: London; 303–316. , .
- 1994. International Counterurbanization. Avebury: Aldershot. , .
- 1992. The dynamics of techno-economic networks. In Technological Change and Company Strategies: Economic and Sociological Perspectives, Coombs R, Saviotti P, Walsh V (eds). Harcourt Brace Jovanovich: London; 77–102. .
- 1994. Migrancy, Culture, Identity. Routledge: London. .
- Champion A (ed.). 1989a. Counterurbanization: The Changing Pace and Nature of Population Deconcentration. Edward Arnold: London.
- 1989b. Conclusion: temporary anomaly, long-term trend or transitional phase? In Counterurbanization: The Changing Pace and Nature of Population Deconcentration, Champion A (ed.). Edward Arnold: London; 230–244. .
- 1992. Urban and regional demographic trends in the developed world. Urban Studies 29: 461–482. .
- 1994. Population change and migration in Britain since 1981: evidence for continuing deconcentration. Environment and Planning A 26: 1501–1520. .
- 1998. Studying counterurbanisation and the rural population turnaround. In Migration into Rural Areas. Theories and Issues, Boyle P, Halfacree K (eds). Wiley: Chichester; 21–40. .
- 1999. Consuming work/productive leisure: the consumption patterns of second home environments. Leisure Studies 18: 41–55. .
- 1997. Routes: Travel and Translation in the Late Twentieth Century. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 1985. Counterurbanisation: a rural perspective. Geography 70: 13–23. .
- 1995. ‘There's so many strangers in the village now’: marginalization and change in 1990s Welsh rural life-styles. Contemporary Wales 8: 47–74. , , .
- 1987. The New Helots: Migrants in the International Division of Labour. Gower: Aldershot. .
- 2005. Transnational urbanism: attending to everyday practices and mobilities. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 31: 227–233. , .
- 1977. Second Homes: Curse or Blessing? Pergamon: Oxford. .
- 2006. On the Move. Mobility in the Modern Western World. Routledge: London. .
- 2000. What is social capital? A study of interaction in a rural community. Sociologia Ruralis 40: 87–110. , .
- 1991. The challenge facing population geography. Progress in Human Geography 15: 149–162. , .
- 2004. Second homes as part of a new rural lifestyle in Norway. In Tourism, Mobility and Second Homes, Hall C, Müller D (eds). Channel View Publications: Clevedon; 233–243. .
- 2007. Second homes, community and a hierarchy of dwelling. Area 39: 97–106. .
- 2001a. Use class answer to second home ills. Town and Country Planning 70(10): 266–267. , .
- 2001b. The taxing issue of second homes. Town and Country Planning 70(1): 22–23. , .
- 2003a. Dispelling a myth? Second homes in rural Wales. Area 35: 271–284. , , .
- 2003b. Second homes – a plan for action? Town and Country Planning 72(1): 23–24. , , .
- 2004. Second homes. A new framework for policy. Town Planning Review 75: 287–308. , , .
- 2008. The Norwegian country cabin and functionalism: a tale of two modernities. Social Anthropology/Anthropologie Sociale 16: 203–20. .
- 2000. What kind of theory for what kind of population geography? International Journal of Population Geography 6: 257–272. .
- 1999. Long Distance Living. Dual Location Households. Policy Press: Bristol. , , .
- 2001. Constructing the object: taxonomic practices, ‘counterurbanisation’ and positioning marginal rural settlement. International Journal of Population Geography 7: 395–411. .
- 2006. Rural space: constructing a three-fold architecture. In Handbook of Rural Studies, Cloke P, Marsden T, Mooney P (eds). Sage: London; 44–62. .
- 2008. To revitalise counterurbanisation research? Recognising an international and fuller picture. Population, Space and Place 14: 479–495. .
- 2010. Of castles, bolt-holes and rafts: ‘anti-global’ affordances of ‘rurality’. Culture Unbound 2: 241–263. .
- 1993. The challenge facing migration research: the case for a biographical approach. Progress in Human Geography 17: 333–348. , .
- Hall C, Müller D (eds). 2004a. Tourism, Mobility and Second Homes. Channel View Publications: Clevedon.
- 2004b. Introduction: second homes, curse or blessing? Revisited. In Tourism, Mobility and Second Homes, Hall C, Müller D (eds). Channel View Publications: Clevedon; 3–14. , .
- 2008. Tourism geographies, tourist studies and the turn towards mobilities. Geography Compass 2: 127–139. .
- 2006. Editorial: mobilities, immobilities and moorings. Mobilities 1: 1–22. , , .
- 1996. Transnational Connections: Culture, People, Places. Routledge: London. .
- 1971. Building dwelling thinking. In Poetry, Language, Thought, Trans, Hofstadter A (ed.). Harper and Row: London; 145–161. .
- 1986. Second-home domestic tourism. Annals of Tourism Research 13: 357–391. .
- 1998. The alternative home: motives of recreation home use. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift 52: 121–34. .
- 2009. Amenity development in the Norwegian mountains. Effects of second home owner environmental attitudes on preferences for alternative development options. Landscape and Urban Planning 91: 195–201. , , .
- 2002. Re-Thinking Mobility. Contemporary Sociology. Ashgate: Aldershot. .
- 2004. Private Dwelling: Contemplating the Use of Housing. Routledge: London. .
- 1998. Contrasting the counterurbanisation experience in European nations. In Migration into Rural Areas. Theories and Issues, Boyle P, Halfacree K (eds). Wiley: Chichester; 61–78. .
- 1997. The geography of highly skilled international migration. International Journal of Population Geography 3: 285–303. , .
- 2004. The Transnational Turn in Migration Studies. Global Migration Perspectives 6. Global Commission on International Migration: Geneva. , .
- 2006. A working land: crofting communities, place and the politics of the possible in post-Land Reform Scotland. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 31: 383–398. .
- The Communist Manifesto. Oxford University Press: Oxford. , . 1848/1998.
- 1991. A global sense of place. Marxism Today, June: 24–29. .
- 2005. For Space. Routledge: London. .
- 1996. Off the road: alternative views of rebellion, resistance and ‘the beats’. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 21: 412–419. .
- McIntyre N, Williams D, McHugh K (eds). 2006a. Multiple Dwelling and Tourism. Negotiating Place, Home and Identity. CABI: Wallingford.
- 2006b. Multiple dwelling: prospect and retrospect. In Multiple Dwelling and Tourism. Negotiating Place, Home and Identity, McIntyre N, Williams D, McHugh K (eds). CABI: Wallingford; 313–322. , , .
- 2007. Re-populating rural studies: migrations, movements and mobilities. Journal of Rural Studies 23: 381–386. .
- 2004. Making sense of counterurbanization. Journal of Rural Studies 20: 15–34. .
- 1999. German Second Home Owners in the Swedish Countryside: On the Internationalization of the Leisure Space. Kulturgeografiska Institutionen: Umeå. .
- 2002. Second home ownership and sustainable development in Northern Sweden. Tourism and Hospitality Research 3: 343–355. .
- 2007. Second homes in the Nordic countries: between common heritage and exclusive commodity. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism 7: 193–201. .
- 2009. Second Homes in Eastern Norway. Doctoral Theses at NTNU 238, Norwegian University of Science and Technology: Trondheim. .
- 1965. Urbs in Rure. London School of Economics: London. .
- 2006. Home away from home: the primary/secondary home relationship. In Multiple Dwelling and Tourism. Negotiating Place, Home and Identity, McIntyre N, Williams D, McHugh K (eds). CABI: Wallingford; 67–81. , .
- 2010. Rural Events, Participation and Mobilities among Youth in Castelló Province. Paper presented at European Society for Rural Sociology Summer School, Córdoba, Spain, October. .
- 2004. Dwelling through multiple places: a case study of second home ownership in Ireland. In Tourism, Mobility and Second Homes, Hall C, Müller D (eds). Channel View Publications: Clevedon; 113–129. .
- 2008. Intensification of workplace regimes in British horticulture: the role of migrant workers. Population, Space and Place 14: 497–510. .
- Reveries of a Solitary Walker. Penguin: London. . 1782/2004.
- 1992. The relationship between international and internal labour migration. In Migration Processes and Patterns. Volume 1. Research Progress and Prospects, Champion A, Fielding A (eds). Belhaven Press: London; 148–162. , .
- 2006. The new mobilities paradigm. Environment and Planning A 38: 207–226. , .
- 1983. Second homes – a framework for policy. Town Planning Review 54: 174–193. .
- 1988. Survey 13: purification of space. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 6: 409–421. .
- 2001. Transnational Urbanism: Locating Globalization. Blackwell: Oxford. .
- 2007. Urban Cottages – Rural Homes? Changing Home Cultures: Challenges towards Sustainable Development. Paper presented at European Network for Housing Research International conference, Sustainable Urban Areas, Rotterdam. .
- 2007. Settled tourists: second homes as a part of tourist life stories. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism 7: 282–301. .
- 2000. Sociology beyond Societies. Routledge: London. .
- 2007. Mobilities. Polity: Cambridge. .
- 2010. Second home countryside. Representations of the rural in Finnish popular discourses. Journal of Rural Studies 26: 194–204. , .
- 2004. Transnationalism in question. American Journal of Sociology 109: 1177–1195. , .
- 2005. The Impact of Empty, Second and Holiday Homes on the Sustainability of Rural Communities: A Systematic Literature Review. Centre for Housing Policy, University of York: York. , , , , , .
- 1964. Order in diversity: community without propinquity. In Cities in Space: The Future Use of Urban Land, Wingo L (ed.). Johns Hopkins University Press: Baltimore; 23–54. .
- 1995. (Re)theorising population geography. International Journal of Population Geography 1: 111–123. , .
- 2002. Tourism, migration, circulation and mobility: the contingencies of time and place. In Tourism and Migration: New Relationships between Production and Consumption, Hall C, Williams A (eds). Kluwer: Dordrecht; 1–52. , .
- 2004. British second homes in Southern Europe: shifting nodes in the scapes and flows of migration and tourism. In Tourism, Mobility and Second Homes, Hall C, Müller D (eds). Channel View Publications: Clevedon; 97–112. , , .
- 1993. On the road again: metaphors of travel in cultural criticism. Cultural Studies 7: 224–239. .
- 1998. Heterolocalism: an alternative model of the sociospatial behaviour of immigrant ethnic communities. International Journal of Population Geography 4: 281–298. , .