This Proceedings issue of physica status solidi contains papers presented as oral and poster contributions at the International Conference on Extended Defects in Semiconductors (EDS 2012). EDS 2012 belonged to the biennial Extended Defects in Semiconductors conference series that started in 1978 with a meeting in Hünfeld, Germany. Subsequent meetings took place in Poland, France, Great Britain, Germany, Russia, and Italy. EDS 2010 was held at the University of Sussex in Brighton, UK.
EDS 2012 took place in Thessaloniki, Greece, on June 24-29, 2012. It was organized by the Department of Physics of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The aim of the conference was to target the overall vision of research activities of the scientific community, based on needs that stem from technological bottlenecks involving structural defects in present day and future polynanocrystalline and nanostructured semiconductor material systems and their role in the functionality of innovative nanodevices. Within this objective, invited talks and contributions provided a stimulating conference program covering the following topics:
– Thin films and heterostructures
– Low-dimensional systems and related defects: semiconductor nanocrystals, quantum wells, quantum dots, nanowires
– Interface structures and defect interactions
– Doping/irradiation/implantation-induced defects
– Electronic structure of defects
– Defect engineering, strain engineering
– Mechanical properties and dislocation dynamics
– Role of defects in opto-electronic and magnetic properties
– Degradation mechanisms in semiconductor devices
– Atomistic and multiscale simulations, modeling approaches of defects, interfaces and nanostructures
– Advanced characterization techniques and methods for the investigation of semiconductor materials
I would like to thank the members of the EDS 2012 International Advisory, Program and Organizing Committees, as well as the authors, referees, and guest editors, for their invaluable contributions towards the success of this conference and proceedings (© 2013 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim)