In vitro effects of beetroot juice and chips on oxidative metabolism and apoptosis in neutrophils from obese individuals
Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2008
Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 49–55, January 2009
How to Cite
Zielińska-Przyjemska, M., Olejnik, A., Dobrowolska-Zachwieja, A. and Grajek, W. (2009), In vitro effects of beetroot juice and chips on oxidative metabolism and apoptosis in neutrophils from obese individuals. Phytother. Res., 23: 49–55. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2535
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 15 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2006
- 2005. Mechanism of interaction of betanin and indicaxanthin with human myeloperoxidase and hypochlorous acid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332: 837–844. , , et al.
- 1986. Phagocytic leukocyte oxygenation activities and chemiluminescence: a kinetic approach to analysis. Methods Enzymol 133: 449–493. .
- 2002. NADPH-oxidase-dependent oxidation and externalization of phosphatidylserine during apoptosis in Me2SO-differentiated HL-60 cells. J Biol Chem 277: 49965–49975. , , et al.
- 1999. Development of in vitro enzymatic digestion method for removal of starch and protein and assessment of its performance using rye and wheat breads. J Cereal Sci 29: 139–152. , , , .
- 2000. Phagocytes and oxidative stress. Am J Med 109: 33–44. .
- 1983. Flow cytometric studies of oxidative product formation by neutrophils: a graded response to membrane stimulation. J Immunol 130: 1910–1917. , , , , , .
- 2005. Apoptotic pathways are inhibited by leptin receptor activation in neutrophils. J Immunol 174: 8090–8096. , , , .
- 2002. The central role of obesity-associated dyslipidaemia, endothelial activation and cytokines in the metabolic syndrome – An analysis by structural equation modeling. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26: 994–1008. , , et al.
- 2001. The suppressive effect of dietary restriction and weight loss in the obese on the generation of reactive oxygen species by leukocytes, lipid peroxidation, and protein carbonylation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86: 355–362. , , et al.
- 2004. Free radicals and antioxidants in human health: current status and future prospects. J Assoc Physicians India 52: 794–804. , , , , , .
- 1995. Beeturia and colonic oxalic acid. Q J Med 88: 711–717. , .
- 1998. Involvement of caspases in neutrophil apoptosis: regulation by reactive oxygen species. Blood 92: 4808–4818. , , , , .
- 2002. Obesity, aerobic exercise, and vascular disease: the role of oxidant stress. Obes Res 10: 964–968. , , , .
- 2003. Obesity and oxidative stress. A direct link to CVD? Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23: 365–367. , .
- 2004. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of major chronic disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 96: 1577–1584. , , et al.
- 1999. Antoxidant activity of plant extracts containing phenolic compounds. J Agric Food Chem 47: 3954–3962. , , et al.
- 2001. Betalains-a new class of dietary cationized antioxidants. J Agric Food Chem 49: 5178–5185. , , .
- 1996. Chemoprevention of lung and skin cancer by Beta vulgaris (beet) root extract. Cancer Lett 100: 211–214. , , , .
- 2003. Obesity and systemic oxidative stress. Clinical correlates of oxidative stress in the Framingham study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23: 434–439. , , et al.
- 2001. Betalains and phenolics in red beetroot (Beta vulgaris) peel extracts: extraction and characterisation. Z Naturforsch [C] 56: 343–348. , , .
- 2005. Betalains, phase II enzyme-inducing components from red beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) extracts. Nutr Cancer 53: 91–103. , , , , .
- 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265–275. , , , .
- 2004. Apoptosis of neutrophils. Acta Haematol 111: 56–66. , , , .
- 2007. Modulating neutrophil apoptosis. Novartis Found Symp 280: 53–66. , , .
- 2003. Is oxidant stress a connection between obesity and atherosclerosis? Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23: 368–370. .
- 1970. Studies into pigments in beetroot. Lantbrukshogskolans Annaler 36: 179–219. .
- 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231–1237. , , , , , .
- 2005. Relative inhibition of lipid peroxidation, cyclooxygenase enzymes, and human tumor cell proliferation by natural food colors. J Agric Food Chem 53: 9268–9273. , , .
- 2007. Betanin a betacyanin pigment purified from fruits of Opuntia ficus-indica induces apoptosis in human chronic myeloid leukemia cell line-K562. Phytomedicine 14: 739–746. , , , , , .
- 2003. Recent advances in betalain research. Phytochemistry 62: 247–269. , , .
- 2003. Increased resistance to oxidation of betalain-enriched human low density lipoproteins. Free Radic Res 37: 689–696. , , et al.
- 1998. Phenol antioxidant quantity and quality in foods: vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 46: 3630–3634. , , , .
- 2002. Phase II enzyme-inducing and antioxidant activities of beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) extracts from phenotypes of different pigmentation. J Agric Food Chem 50: 6704–6709. , , , , .
- 2007. A functional NADPH oxidase prevents caspase involvement in the clearance of phagocytic neutrophils. Infect Immun 75: 3256–3263. , , , .
- 2005. Superoxide dismutase (SOD) as a potential inhibitory mediator of inflammation via neutrophil apoptosis. Free Radic Res 39: 755–762. , , et al.
- 2004. Leptin indirectly activates human neutrophils via induction of TNF-α. J Immunol 172: 1809–1814. , , , , , .
- 2006. An in vitro study of the protective effect of the flavonoid silydianin against reactive oxygen species. Phytother Res 20: 115–119. , .