Visiting Associate Professor from the Department of Pharmacy, Gomal University, D. I. Khan, Pakistan.
Bioactive furanocoumarins from the berries of Zanthoxylum americanum
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2006
Copyright © 1990 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 216–219, December 1990
How to Cite
Saqib, Q. N., Hui, Y.-H., Anderson, J. E. and McLaughlin, J. L. (1990), Bioactive furanocoumarins from the berries of Zanthoxylum americanum. Phytother. Res., 4: 216–219. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2650040604
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAR 1990
- Manuscript Received: 7 FEB 1990
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: CA 30909
- Zanthoxylum americanum (Rutaceae);
- brine shrimp lethality and cytotoxity;
Crude extracts of the berries of Zanthoxylum americanum showed significant lethality to brine shrimp larvae and exhibited cytotoxicity to human tumor cells. Activity-directed fractionation led to 5 furanocoumarins (cnidilin, imperatorin, isoimperatorin, psoralen, and xanthotoxin), the last three of which are bioactive in these bioassays. All were previously known as natural compounds but are new to this plant species.