Both KW and GG significantly contributed to writing this review.
Animal Studies on Medicinal Herbs: Predictability, Dose Conversion and Potential Value
Article first published online: 4 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 22–27, January 2014
How to Cite
Wojcikowski, K. and Gobe, G. (2014), Animal Studies on Medicinal Herbs: Predictability, Dose Conversion and Potential Value. Phytother. Res., 28: 22–27. doi: 10.1002/ptr.4966
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 JAN 2013
- 2012. Acute and Subacute Toxicity study of the Acetone Leaf extract of Centella asiatica in Experimental Animal Models. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2: S511–S513. , .
- 2009. The effect of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's Wort) on experimental colitis in rat. Dig Dis Sci 54: 1214–1221. , , , , .
- 1911. The blood volume of mammals as determined by experiments upon rabbits, guinea-pigs, and mice; and its relationship to the body weight and to the surface area expressed in a formula. Philos Trans R Soc London Series B: 133–160. , .
- 1916. Clinical calorimetry: tenth paper a formula to estimate the approximate surface area if height and weight be known. Arch Intern Med 17: 863. , .
- 1915. Fifth paper the measurement of the surface area of man. Arch Intern Med 15: 868. , .
- 2006. Expert Scientific Group on Phase One Clinical Trials Final Report. Department of Health: London, UK. .
- 2005. Use of Animal Models Has Not Contributed to Development of Acute Stroke Therapies Con. Stroke 36: 2324–2325. , .
- 2004. First dose of potential new medicines to humans: how animals help. Nat Rev Drug Discov 3: 226–236. , , .
- 2006. Translation of research evidence from animals to humans. JAMA 296: 1731–1732. , .
- 2006. Evolution and translation of research findings: from bench to where. PLoS 1: e36. doi:10.1371/journal.pctr.0010036 .
- 2008. The problems in scaling adult drug doses to children. Arch Dis Child 93: 207–211. .
- 2010. Efficacy and tolerability of Hypericum extract for the treatment of mild to moderate depression. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 20: 747–765. , , , , .
- 2012. Effect of Hydroalcoholic Extract of Hypericum Perforatum L. Leaves on Ethylene Glycol-Induced Kidney Calculi in Rats. Urol J 9: 472–479. , , .
- 1968. Analgesic nephropathy and papillary necrosis. Postgrad Med J 44: 807–810. .
- 1997. Calculation of drug dosage and body surface area of children. Br J Anaesth 78: 601–605. , .
- 2001. Prediction of drug clearance in humans from laboratory animals based on body surface area. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 26: 249–255. , .
- 2009. Toxicity testing in the 21st century: a view from the pharmaceutical industry. Toxicol Sci 110: 40–46. , .
- 2012. An ethanolic extract of black cohosh causes hematological changes but not estrogenic effects in female rodents. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 263: 138–147. , , , et al.
- 1978. Experimental renal papillary necrosis. Kidney Int 13: 5–14. .
- 2000. Concordance of the toxicity of pharmaceuticals in humans and in animals. Regul Toxicol Pharm 32: 56–67. , , , et al.
- 2004. Where is the evidence that animal research benefits humans? BMJ 328: 514–517. , , , , .
- 1883. Über den einfluss der körpergrösse auf stoff-und kraftwechsel. Z Biol 19: 536–562. .
- 1993. Beethoven's renal disease based on his autopsy: a case of papillary necrosis. Am J Kidney Dis 21: 643–652. .
- 2009. To scale or not to scale: the principles of dose extrapolation. Br J Pharmacol 157: 907–921. , .
- USFDA. 2005. Guidance for Industry, Estimating the maximum safe starting dose in initial clinical trials for therapeutics in adult healthy volunteers. Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, USFDA, US Department of Health and Human Services, http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/index.htm.
- 2009. A framework to assess the translation of safety pharmacology data to humans. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 60: 152–158. , , , et al.
- 1999. Nephrotoxicity of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: physiologic foundations and clinical implications. Am J Med 106: 13S–24S. .
- 2007a. Effects of garlic oil on platelet aggregation: a double blind placebo controlled crossover study. Platelets 18: 29–34. , , .
- 2007b. Antioxidant capacity of 55 medicinal herbs traditionally used to treat the urinary system: a comparison using a sequential three-solvent extraction process. J Altern Complement Med 13: 103–110. , , , , .
- 2009. An in vitro investigation of herbs traditionally used for kidney and urinary system disorders: potential therapeutic and toxic effects. Nephrology 14: 70–79. , , , , .
- 2010. Effect of Astragalus membranaceus and Angelica sinensis combined with Enalapril in rats with obstructive uropathy. Phytother Res 24: 875–884. , , , .