The contribution of M. T. Montgomery to this article was prepared as part of his official duties as a US Federal Government employee.
Observations of the convective environment in developing and non-developing tropical disturbances
Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 138, Issue 668, pages 1721–1739, October 2012 Part A
How to Cite
Smith, R. K. and Montgomery, M. T. (2012), Observations of the convective environment in developing and non-developing tropical disturbances. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 138: 1721–1739. doi: 10.1002/qj.1910
- Issue online: 25 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 JUN 2011
- 1997. The genesis of hurricane Guillermo: TEXMEX analyses and a modeling study. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 2662–2682. ,
- 1980. The computation of equivalent potential temperature. Mon. Weather Rev. 108: 1046–1053.
- 2010. Simulation and interpretation of the genesis of tropical storm Gert (2005) as part of the NASA Tropical Cloud Systems and Processes Experiment. J. Atmos. Sci. 67: 999–1025. , , ,
- 1997. A test of the strict quasi-equilibrium theory on long time and space scales. J. Atmos. Sci. 54: 624–638. ,
- 1989. Storm and cloud dynamics. Academic Press: San Diego, CA. pp 883. ,
- 2012. Mesoscale structural evolution of three tropical weather systems observed during PREDICT. J. Atmos. Sci. 69: in press. ,
- 2009. Tropical cyclogenesis in a tropical wave critical layer: easterly waves. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 9: 5587–5646. , ,
- 2008. Tropical cyclone structure (TCS08) Field experiment scientific basis, observational platforms, and strategy. Asia-Pacific J. Atmos. Sci. 44: 1–23. ,
- 1989. The finite amplitude nature of tropical cyclogenesis. J. Atmos. Sci. 46: 3431–3456.
- 1994. Atmospheric convection. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1994. On large-scale circulations in convecting atmospheres. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 1111–1143. , ,
- 2010. Initial development and genesis of hurricane Dolly (2008). J. Atmos. Sci. 67: 655–672. ,
- 2012. Tropical oceanic hot towers: need they be dilute to transport energy from the boundary layer to the upper troposphere effectively? An answer based on trajectory analysis of a simulation of a TOGA COARE convective system. J. Atmos. Sci. 69: 195–213. , , , ,
- 1987. Tropical cyclone formation. In: A global view of tropical cyclones. (ed.) Office of Naval Research, 53–90.
- 2007. NASA's Tropical Cloud Systems and Processes Experiment. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 88: 867–882. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1987. On the evolution of vorticity and potential vorticity in the presence of diabatic heating and frictional or other forces. J. Atmos. Sci. 44: 828–841. ,
- 2004. On the role of ‘vortical’ hot towers in formation of tropical cyclone Diana (1984). J. Atmos. Sci. 61: 1209–1232. , ,
- 1978. A method of bivariate interpolation and smooth surface fitting for irregularly distributed data points. ACM Trans. Math. Software 4: 148–164.
- 1984. On estimating partial derivatives for bivariate interpolation of scattered data. Rocky Mountain J. Math. 14: 41–52.
- 2004. An introduction to dynamic meteorology. Academic Press: London.
- 1993. Cloud dynamics. Academic Press: San Diego, CA. pp 573.
- 2009. Convective contribution to the genesis of hurricane Ophelia (2005). Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 2778–2800. , ,
- 2009. A numerical investigation of the effects of dry air aloft on deep convection. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 140–161. ,
- 2002. Synoptic-scale influence of the Saharan air layer on tropical cyclogenesis over the eastern Atlantic. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 3100–3128. ,
- 1995. Tropical cyclone formation. 21–62 in Global Perspectives on Tropical Cyclones. (ed.) WMO/TD-No 693, World Meteorological Organization: Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2011. Tropical cyclone formation: Theory and idealized modelling. In Proceedings of Seventh WMO International Workshop on Tropical Cyclones (IWTC-VII), La Réunion, Nov. 2010. (WWRP 2011-1) World Meteorological Organization: Geneva, Switzerland. ,
- 2006. A vortical hot tower route to tropical cyclogenesis. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 355–386. , , ,
- 2009. Do tropical cyclones intensify by WISHE? Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 1697–1714. , ,
- 2012. The Pre-Depression Investigation of Cloud systems in the Tropics (PREDICT) experiment: Scientific basis, new analysis tools, and some first results. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 93: 153–172. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Tropical-cyclone intensification and predictability in three dimensions. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 563–582. , ,
- 1969. Numerical simulation of the life cycle of tropical cyclones. J. Atmos. Sci. 26: 3–40.
- 2007. Evolution of convection during tropical cyclogenesis. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: L06811, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL028607. ,
- 2005. Mesoscale observations of the genesis of hurricane Dolly (1996). J. Atmos. Sci. 62: 3151–3171. , ,
- 1999. Large-scale patterns associated with tropical cyclogenesis in the western Pacific. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 2027–2043. ,
- 2011. A Lagrangian characterization of a developing and non-developing disturbance observed during the PREDICT Experiment. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss. 11: 33272–33323. ,
- 2004. ‘A closer look at vortical hot towers within a tropical cyclogenesis environment’. Atmospheric Science Bluebook No. 752. Colorado State University: Fort Collins, USA. ,
- 2010. Air–sea interactions. Chapter 42 of Global perspectives on tropical cyclones: From science to mitigation. , (eds). Series on Asia-Pacific Weather and Climate, vol. 4. World Scientific: Singapore.
- 2004. Microphysical characteristics of tropical updrafts in clean conditions. J. Appl. Meteorol. 43: 779–794. , , ,
- 1947. Entrainment of air into a cumulus cloud. J. Meteorol. 4: 91–94.
- 2007. Internal influences on tropical cyclone formation. In Proceedings of Sixth WMO International Workshop on Tropical Cyclones (IWTC-VI), San José, Costa Rica, Nov. 2006. (WWRP 2007-1) World Meteorological Organization: Geneva, Switzerland. ,
- 2010. Tropical cyclone formation. Chapter 2 of Global perspectives on tropical cyclones: From science to mitigation. , (eds). Series on Asia-Pacific Weather and Climate, vol. 4. World Scientific: Singapore. ,
- 2011. Tropical-cyclone convection: the effects of ambient vertical vorticity. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 137: 845–857. ,
- 2009. The Saharan Air Layer and the fate of African Easterly Waves—NASA's AMMA field study of tropical cyclogenesis. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 90: 1137–1156. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,