Tropical cyclone track analog ensemble forecasting in the extended Australian basin: NWP combinations
Version of Record online: 6 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 138, Issue 668, pages 1828–1838, October 2012 Part A
How to Cite
Langmack, H., Fraedrich, K. and Sielmann, F. (2012), Tropical cyclone track analog ensemble forecasting in the extended Australian basin: NWP combinations. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 138: 1828–1838. doi: 10.1002/qj.1915
- Issue online: 25 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 6 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 JUL 2011
- 1993. Nonlinear Programming: Theory and algorithms, 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons: New York, NY. , ,
- 2002. Statistical prediction of tropical cyclone motion: An analog–CLIPER approach. Weather and Forecasting 17: 821–831. , , , , ,
- 2006. ‘Sharing experiences in operational consensus forecasting.’ Pp 424–441 (Special Focus Topic 3a) in Sixth International Workshop on tropical cyclones, San José, Costa Rica. WWW/CAS/WMO 305.Available at http://severe.worldweather.org/iwtc/document/Topic_3a_Andrew_Burton.pdf. , , , , , ,
- 2000. Consensus of dynamical tropical cyclone track forecasts—Errors versus spread. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 4131–4138. ,
- 1989. Estimates of cyclone track predictability. I: Tropical cyclones in the Australian region. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 115: 79–92. ,
- 1998. Metric adaption for analog forecasting. Physica A 253: 379–393. ,
- 1989. Combining predictive schemes in long-range forecasting. J. Climate 2: 291–294. ,
- 2003. Analog ensemble forecasts of tropical cyclone tracks in the Australian region. Weather and Forecasting 18: 3–11. , ,
- 2000. Tropical cyclone track forecasts using an ensemble of dynamical models. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 1187–1193.
- 2007. Measuring the ensemble spread–error relationship with a probabilistic approach: Stochastic ensemble results. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 203–221. ,
- 1970. An operational technique for relating the movement of existing tropical cyclones to past tracks. Mon. Weather Rev. 98: 925–933. ,
- 1979. ‘Statistical forecasts of tropical cyclone intensity for the North Atlantic basin.’ NOAA Tech. Memo., NWS NHC-10, 22 pp. NOAA: Miami, Florida, USA. ,
- 2003. Statistical, 5-day tropical cyclone intensity forecasts derived from climatology and persistence. Weather and Forecasting 18: 80–92. , , ,
- 1961. The hurricane's central pressure and highest wind. Mar. Weather Log 5: 155.
- 1990. Reduction of tropical cyclone position errors using an optimal combination of independent forecasts. Weather and Forecasting 5: 158–161. ,
- 1992. Predicting changes in intensity of tropical cyclones using a Markov chain technique. Aust. Meteorol. Mag. 40: 41–46. , , , ,
- 1969. Atmospheric predictability as revealed by naturally occurring analogues. J. Atmos. Sci. 26: 636–646.
- 2002. Local averaging optimization for chaotic time series prediction. Neurocomputing 48: 279–297.
- 2004. Combining ENSO forecasts: A feasibility study. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 456–472. , ,
- 1972. ‘An alternate to the HURRAN (Hurricane Analog) tropical cyclone forecast system.’ NOAA Tech. Memo., NWS SR 62, 32 pp. NOAA: Fort Worth, Texas, USA.
- 1981. Trends in forecasting the tracks of Atlantic tropical cyclones. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 62: 1473–1485.
- 2006. Operational performance of a new barotropic model (WBAR) in the western North Pacific basin. Weather and Forecasting 21: 656–662. , ,
- 2007. Operational evaluation of a selective consensus in the western North Pacific basin. Weather and Forecasting 22: 671–675. , ,
- 1991. Embedology. J. Stat. Phys. 65: 579–616. , ,
- 2004. ‘Joy of U.M. 6.0—model formulation.’ Unified Model Documentation Paper, No. 15. Met Office: Exeter, UK. , , , , ,
- 1939. Distribution of pressure and wind in a typhoon. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn 17: 417–421.
- 1981. ‘Detecting strange attractors in turbulence.’ Pp 366–381 in Dynamical Systems and Turbulence—Warwick 1981, Lecture Notes in Mathematics 898, Rand DA, Young LS (eds). DOI: 10.1007/BFb0091924.
- 2003. Multimodel superensemble forecasting of tropical cyclones in the Pacific. Mon. Weather Rev. 131: 574–583. , , ,
- 1997. Ensemble forecasting of hurricane tracks. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 78: 2785–2795. ,