The February 2010 Arctic Oscillation Index and its stratospheric connection
Article first published online: 23 APR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 138, Issue 669, pages 1961–1969, October 2012 Part B
How to Cite
Ripesi, P., Ciciulla, F., Maimone, F. and Pelino, V. (2012), The February 2010 Arctic Oscillation Index and its stratospheric connection. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 138: 1961–1969. doi: 10.1002/qj.1935
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 23 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 23 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUN 2011
- 1987. Middle Atmosphere Dynamics. Academic Press: New York. , ,
- 1999. Propagation of the Arctic Oscillation from the stratosphere to the troposphere. J. Geophys. Res. 104: 30937–30946. ,
- 2001. Stratospheric harbingers of anomalous weather regimes. Science 244: 581–584. ,
- 1986. The statistical properties of general atmospheric circulation. Observational evidence and a minimal theory of bimodality. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 112: 661–674. , , ,
- 1976. A climatological spectral study of the 500 mb geopotential height of the Northern Hemisphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 33: 1607–1623.
- 2007. A new look at stratospheric sudden warmings. Part I: Climatology and modeling benchmarks. J. Climate 20: 449–469. ,
- 1961. Propagation of planetary scale disturbances from the lower into the upper atmosphere. J. Geophys. Res. 66: 83–110. ,
- 2001. Downward propagation of zonal mean zonal wind anomalies from the stratosphere to the troposphere: Model and reanalysis. J. Geophys. Res. 106: 307–322.
- 2010. Winter 2009–2010: A case study of an extreme Arctic Oscillation event. Geophys. Res. Lett. 37: L17707. , , , ,
- 2009. Planetary wave breaking and tropospheric forcing as seen in the stratospheric sudden warming of 2006. J. Atmos. Sci. 66: 495–507. , ,
- 1961. On the tranfer of energy in stationary mountain waves. Geofys. Publ. 22: 1–23. ,
- 2011. On the use of geometric moments to examine the continuum of sudden stratospheric warmings. J. Atmos. Sci. 68: 657–674. , , ,
- 1986. On the probability density distribution of planetary-scale atmospheric wave amplitude. J. Atmos. Sci. 43: 3250–3265. ,
- 1998. A new perspective on the dynamical link between the stratosphere and troposphere. Nature 391: 471–473. , , ,
- 2004. The life cycle of the Northern Hemisphere sudden stratospheric warmings. J. Climate 17: 2584–2596. , ,
- 2009. Blocking precursors to stratospheric sudden warming events. Geophys. Res. Lett. 36: L14806. , ,
- 1970. Vertical propagation of stationary planetary waves in the winter Northern Hemisphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 27: 871–883.
- 1971. A dynamical model of stratospheric warmings. J. Atmos. Sci. 28: 1479–1494.
- 2006. What kind of stratospheric sudden warming propagates to the troposphere? Geophys. Res. Lett. 33: L04801. ,
- 1982. Properties of the Eliassen–Palm flux for planetary-scale motions. J. Atmos. Sci. 39: 992–997.
- 2003. Observational evidence of a stratospheric influence on the troposphere by planetary wave reflection. J. Climate 16: 3011–3026. ,
- 2002. Tropospheric response to stratospheric perturbations in a relatively simple GCM. Geophys. Res. Lett. 29: 1114. ,
- 1993. Northern Hemispheric snow cover: An update. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 74: 1689–1696. , , .
- 2009. The role of eddies in driving the tropospheric response to stratospheric heating perturbations. J. Atmos. Sci. 66: 1347–1365. , ,
- 1983. Deterministic and statistical properties of the westerlies. Paleogeophys. 121: 512–562.
- 2002. Baroclinic instability in high latitudes induced by polar vortex: A connection to the Arctic Oscillation. J. Atmos. Sci. 59: 69–82. ,
- 1998. The Arctic Oscillation signature in the wintertime geopotential height and temperature fields. Geophys. Res. Lett. 25: 1297–1301. ,
- 2009. Accessing extremes of midlatitudinal wave activity: methodology and application. Tellus 61A: 35–49. , , , , ,
- 2010. Downward Arctic Oscillation signal associated with moderate weak stratospheric polar vortex and the cold December 2009. Geophys. Res. Lett. 37: L09707. ,
- 2007. The effect of lower stratospheric shear on baroclinic instability. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 479–496. , ,