Now at Department of Mathematics and Department of Civil, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
Ensemble forecasts of a flood-producing storm: comparison of the influence of model-state perturbations and parameter modifications
Version of Record online: 24 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society and British Crown Copyright, the Met Office
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 139, Issue 670, pages 198–211, January 2013 Part A
How to Cite
Leoncini, G., Plant, R. S., Gray, S. L. and Clark, P. A. (2013), Ensemble forecasts of a flood-producing storm: comparison of the influence of model-state perturbations and parameter modifications. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 139: 198–211. doi: 10.1002/qj.1951
- Issue online: 5 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUL 2011
- 2006. A review of the initiation of precipitating convection in the United Kingdom. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 1001–1020. , , , ,
- 2005. A comparison of the ECMWF, MSC, and NCEP global ensemble prediction systems. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1076–1096. , , , , ,
- 2005. Cloudburst upon Hendraburnick down: the Boscastle storm of 16 August 2004. Weather 60: 219–227.
- 2009. A comparison of precipitation forecast skill between small convection-allowing and large convection-parameterizing ensembles. Weather Forecast. 24: 1121–1140. , , ,
- 2011a. Probabilistic precipitation forecast skill as a function of ensemble size and spatial scale in a convection-allowing ensemble. Mon. Weather Rev. 139: 1410–1418. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2011b. An overview of the 2010 hazardous weather testbed experimental forecast program spring experiment. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 93: 55–74. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2010. A new method for evaluating regional air quality forecasts. Atmos. Env. 45: 993–1002.
- 2005. A new dynamical core for the Met Office's global and regional modelling of the atmosphere. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 1759–1782. , , , , , ,
- 1996. Studies with a flexible new radiation code. Part I: Choosing a configuration for a large-scale model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 122: 689–719. ,
- 2003. Explicit representation of subgrid heterogeneity in a GCM land surface scheme. J. Hydromet. 4: 530–543. , , , ,
- 2009. On how hot towers fuel the Hadley cell: An observational and modeling study of line-organized convection in the equatorial trough from TOGA COARE. J. Atmos. Sci. 66: 2730–2746. , , , ,
- 1962. The Physics of Rainclouds. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 2003. Sensitivity of extratropical cyclone mesoscale structure to the parametrization of ice microphysical processes. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 1123–1148. ,
- 2007. Surface data assimilation using an ensemble Kalman filter approach with initial condition and model physics uncertainties. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 1846–1868. , ,
- 2011. Uncertainties in COSMO-DE precipitation forecasts introduced by model perturbation and variations of later boundaries. Atmos. Res. 100: 168–177. , , ,
- 1998. The influence of midtropospheric dryness on supercell morphology and evolution. Mon. Weather Rev. 126: 943–958. ,
- 2005. ‘Boscastle and North Cornwall post flood event study: meteorological analysis of the conditions leading to flooding on 16 August 2004’. Forecasting Research Technical Report No. 459, Met Office.
- 2005. The Boscastle flood: meteorological analysis of the conditions leading to flooding on 16 August 2004. Weather 60: 230–235. , ,
- 1990. A mass flux convection scheme with representation of cloud ensemble characteristics and stability-dependent closure. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 1483–1506. ,
- 1995. Relative humidity and temperature influences on cirrus formation and evolution: observations from Wave Cloud and FIRE II. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 4302–4326. ,
- 2010. Characteristics of deep tropical and subtropical convection from nadir-viewing high-altitude airborne doppler radar. J. Atmos. Sci. 67: 285–308. , , , ,
- 2008. Cloud-resolving ensemble simulations of the August 2005 Alpine flood. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 889–904. , , ,
- 2005. ‘The summer 2004 reruns with the High Resolution Trial Model’. Technical Report 466, MetOffice R&D. , , , , ,
- 2008. Characteristics of high-resolution versions of the Met Office Unified Model for forecasting convection over the United Kingdom. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 3408–3424. , , , , , ,
- 2009. The surprising role of orography in the initiation of an isolated thunderstorm in southern England. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 3026–3046. , , ,
- 2010. Perturbation growth at the convective scale for CSIP IOP18. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: 653–670. , , ,
- 2001. The numerical representation of entrainment in parameterizations of boundary layer turbulent mixing. Mon. Weather Rev. 129: 1148–1163.
- 2000. A new boundary layer mixing scheme. Part I: Scheme description and single-column model tests. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 3187–3199. , , , ,
- 2004. Probabilistic high-resolution forecast of heavy precipitation over central Europe. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 4: 315–322. , , ,
- 1992. Stochastic backscatter in large-eddy simulations of boundary layers. J. Fluid Mech. 242: 51–78. ,
- 1992. New primary ice-nucleation parameterizations in an explicit cloud model. J. Appl. Meteorol. 31: 708–721. , ,
- 1987. Boundary Layer Climates (2nd edn). Routledge: Abingdon, UK.
- 2003. ‘Stage 2 report form the storm-scale numerical modelling project’. Technical Report 407, MetOffice R&D. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/nwp/publications/papers/technical_reports/index.html.
- 2008. Scale-selective verification of rainfall accumulations from high-resolution forecasts of convective events. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 78–97. ,
- 2005. A kinetic energy backscatter algorithm for use in ensemble prediction systems. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 612: 3079–3102.
- 2004. A study of convective initiation in a mesoscale model using high-resolution land surface initial conditions. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 2954–2976. , ,
- 2010. Sensitivity of quantitative precipitation forecast to soil moisture initialization and microphysics parameterization. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: 978–996. , , ,
- 2008. SAL: a novel quality measure for the verification of quantitative precipitation forecasts. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 4470–4487. , , ,
- 2009. Spatial forecast verification methods intercomparison project: application of the SAL technique. Weather Forecast. 24: 1472–1484. , ,
- 1999. A microphysically based precipitation scheme for the UK Meteorological Office Unified Model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 1607–1636. ,
- 2004. ‘Unified model documentation paper 26: the large-scale precipitation parametrization scheme’. Technical Report 26, MetOffice R&D. ,
- 2011. Comparison of single-parameter and multi-parameter ensembles for assimilation of radar observations using the ensemble kalman filter Nusrat Yussouf, David J. Stensrud. Mon. Weather Rev. Volume 140, Issue 2 (February 2012) pp. 562–586 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-10-05074.1. ,
- 2003. Effects of moist convection on mesoscale predictability. J. Atmos. Sci. 60: 1173–1185. , ,
- 2007. Mesoscale predictability of moist baroclinic waves: convection-permitting experiments and multistage error growth dynamics. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 3579–3594. , , , ,