Special Issue Article
Modelling climate impact on floods with ensemble climate projections
Article first published online: 13 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Flood Risk from Extreme Events (FREE)
Volume 139, Issue 671, pages 282–297, January 2013 Part B
How to Cite
Cloke, H. L., Wetterhall, F., He, Y., Freer, J. E. and Pappenberger, F. (2013), Modelling climate impact on floods with ensemble climate projections. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 139: 282–297. doi: 10.1002/qj.1998
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 13 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 16 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 15 DEC 2011
- NERC FREE. Grant Number: NE/E002242/1
- NERC Storm Risk Mitigation. Grant Number: NE/I005366/1
- 2009. Use of regional climate model simulations as input for hydrological models for the Hindukush–Karakorum–Himalaya region. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 13: 1075–1089. , ,
- 2011. A systematic review of sensitivities in the Swedish flood-forecasting system. Atmospheric Research 100: 275–284. , ,
- 2007. Use of grid-based hydrological model and regional climate model outputs to assess changing flood risk. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1657–1671. , , ,
- 1992. The HBV model: its structure and applications. RH No.4, SMHI Hydrology, Norrköping, Sweden.
- 2011. I believe in climate change but how precautionary do we need to be in planning for the future? Hydrological Processes 25: 1517–1520.
- 2006. Clm—the climate version of lm: brief description and long-term applications. COSMO Newsletter 6. , , , , , , ,
- 2012. Comparison and evaluation of multiple GCMs, statistical downscaling and hydrological models in the study of climate change impacts on runoff. Journal of Hydrology 434–435: 36–45. , ,
- 2007. The HIRHAM Regional Climate Model Version 5. Technical Report 06-17, Danish Climate Centre, Danish Meteorological Institute, Copenhagen. , , , , , ,
- 2009. Ensemble flood forecasting: a review. Journal of Hydrology 375: 613–626. ,
- 2008. Multi-method global sensitivity analysis (MMGSA) for modelling floodplain hydrological processes. Hydrological Processes 22: 1660–1674. , ,
- 2010. Climate impacts on river flow: projections for the Medway catchment UK with UKCIP and CATCHMOD. Hydrological Processes 24: 3476–3489. , , , , ,
- 2001. The internal climate variability of HadCM3, a version of the Hadley Centre coupled model without flux adjustments. Climate Dynamics 17: 61–81. , ,
- 2007a. Linking climate change modelling to impacts studies: recent advances in downscaling techniques for hydrological modelling. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1547–1578. , ,
- 2007b. Modelling the impacts of projected future climate change on water resources in northwest England. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 11: 1115–1126. , ,
- 1999. Introduction to special section: regional climate modeling revisited. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 6335–6352. ,
- 2010. Probabilistic projections for 21st century European Climate. Natural Hazards and Earth Systems Sciences 10: 2009–2020. , , , ,
- 2006. Validation of HIRHAM version 2 with 50 km and 25 km resolution. RegClim General Technical Report No. 9; 159–173. ,
- 2009. Tracking the uncertainty in flood alerts driven by grand ensemble weather predictions. Meteorological Applications 16: 91–101. , , , , , ,
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 2001. A note to the simulation of the annual and inter-annual variability of the water budget over the Baltic Sea drainage basin. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 77: 61–73.
- 2004. The Rossby Centre regional atmospheric climate model part I: model climatology and performance for the present climate over Europe. Ambio 33: 199–210. , , ,
- 2001. An environmental risk assessment/management framework for climate change impact assessments. Natural Hazards 23: 197–230.
- 2006. RCM rainfall for UK flood frequency estimation II: climate change results. Journal of Hydrology 318: 163–172. , ,
- 2005. A 140-year simulation of European climate with the new version of the Rossby Centre regional atmospheric climate model (RCA3). SMHI Reports Meteorology and Climatology 108, SMHI, SE-60176 Norrköping, Sweden. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2010. Daily and monthly temperature and precipitation statistics as performance indicators for regional climate models. Climate Research 44: 135–150. , , , , ,
- 2007. Resampling of regional climate model output for the simulation of extreme river flows. Journal of Hydrology 332: 487–496. ,
- 2003. Simulation of present-day climate in RACMO2: first results and model developments. KNMI Technical Report 252. , , , ,
- 2000. Analysis of conceptual rainfall–runoff modelling performance in different climates. Journal of Hydrology 238: 231–247. ,
- 2010. Simulating low-probability peak discharges for the Rhine basin using resampled climate modeling data. Water Resources Research 46: W03512. , , ,
- 1997. Development and test of the distributed HBV-96 hydrological model. Journal of Hydrology 201: 272–288. , , , ,
- 2010. Precipitation downscaling under climate change: recent developments to bridge the gap between dynamical models and the end user. Reviews of Geophysics 48: RG3003. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2011. A pragmatic approach for the downscaling and bias correction of regional climate simulations: evaluation in hydrological modeling. Geoscientific Model Development 4: 759–770. , , ,
- 1972. A comparison of lysimeter-derived potential evapotranspiration with computed values. Technical Bulletin 1452, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC. ,
- 2004. Quantification of modelling uncertainties in a large ensemble of climate change simulations. Nature 430: 768–772. , , , , , ,
- 2009. UK Climate Projections Science Report: Climate change projections. Met Office Hadley Centre, Exeter, UK. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1970. River flow forecasting through conceptual models. Part I: A discussion of principles. Journal of Hydrology 10: 282–290. ,
- 2008. Evaluation and calibration of operational hydrological ensemble forecasts in Sweden. Journal of Hydrology 350: 14–24. ,
- 2005. Which potential evapotranspiration input for a rainfall-runoff model? Part 2: Towards a simple and efficient PE model for rainfall-runoff modelling. Journal of Hydrology 303: 290–306. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Ignorance is bliss: or 7 reasons not to use uncertainty analysis. Water Resources Research 42: W05302. ,
- 2008. New dimensions in early flood warning across the globe using GRAND ensembles. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L10404. , , , , ,
- 2008. The generation of daily gridded datasets for temperature and precipitation, covering the UK for the period 1960 to 2006. Internal report, Met Office, Exeter, UK. , ,
- 2006. Climate and climate change over North America as simulated by the Canadian Regional Climate Model. Journal of Climate 19: 3112–3132. , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. The impact of new physical parameterizations in the Hadley Centre climate model: HadAM3. Climate Dynamics 16: 123–146. , , ,
- 2010. Scenario-neutral approach to climate change impact studies: application to flood risk. Journal of Hydrology 390: 198–209. , , , ,
- 2008. Spectral nudging in a spectral regional climate model. Tellus A 60: 898–910. , ,
- 2008. Evaluating regional climate model estimates against site-specific observed data in the UK. Climatic Change 88: 157–185. , , , , ,
- 2011. Improving pan-European hydrological simulation of extreme events through statistical bias correction of RCM-driven climate simulations. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 15: 2599–2620. , , ,
- 2004. Future climate extreme events in the Mediterranean simulated by a regional climate model: a first approach. Global and Planetary Change 44: 163–180. , , , ,
- 1997. Estimation of parameter uncertainty in the HBV model. Nordic Hydrology 28: 247–262.
- 2003. Reliability of model predictions outside calibration conditions. Nordic Hydrology 34: 477–492.
- 2000. Regional hydrodynamical model for climate studies over Russia. Russian Meteorology and Hydrology 4: pp. 32–49. , ,
- 1979. On the systematic search in a hypercube. SIAM Journal of Numerical Analysis 16: 790–793.
- 1993. Sensitivity estimates for nonlinear mathematical models. Mathematical Modelling and Computational Experiment 1: 407–414.
- 2004. Climate version of the LAM ALADIN: first validation of a 10-year simulation over Europe. In Regional Climate Model Workshop, Prague, 29 November–3 December 2004. , , ,
- 2007. Issues in the interpretation of climate model ensembles to inform decisions. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 365: 2163–2177. , , , ,
- 2010. Regional climate models for hydrological impact studies at the catchment scale: a review of recent modeling strategies. Geography Compass 4: 834–860. ,
- 2012. Empirical-statistical downscaling and error correction of regional climate models and its impact on the climate change signal. Climatic Change 112: 449–468. , ,
- 2011. Testing MOS precipitation downscaling for ENSEMBLES regional climate models over Spain. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 116: D18109. , , , ,
- UK Met Office. 2011. MIDAS Land Surface Stations data (1853–current), British Atmospheric Data Centre, 2006, http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/ukmo-midas.
- 2005. The ERA-40 re-analysis. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 131: 2961–3012. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. ENSEMBLES: Climate Change and its Impacts: Summary of Research and Results from the ENSEMBLES Project. Met Office Hadley Centre, Exeter, UK. , (eds).
- 2008. The regional atmospheric climate model RACMO, version 2.1. KNMI Technical Report TR-302, De Bilt, Netherlands. , , , , , ,
- 2009. Discharge simulations performed with a hydrological model using bias corrected regional climate model input. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 13: 2387–2397. , , , ,
- 2011. Assessment of representations of model uncertainty in monthly and seasonal forecast ensembles. Geophysical Research Letters 38: L16703. , ,
- 2011. Using ensemble climate projections to assess probabilistic hydrological change in the Nordic region. Nat Hazards and Earth System Sciences 11: 2295–2306. , , , ,
- 2012. Conditioning model output statistics of Regional Climate Model precipitation on circulation patterns. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics (in press). , , , ,
- 2010. Distribution based scaling to improve the usability of RCM regional climate model projections for hydrological climate change impacts studies. Hydrology Research 41: 211–229. , , , , ,