Weighted essentially non-oscillatory scheme for cloud edge problem
Version of Record online: 30 OCT 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 139, Issue 674, pages 1374–1388, July 2013 Part A
How to Cite
Baba, Y. and Takahashi, K. (2013), Weighted essentially non-oscillatory scheme for cloud edge problem. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 139: 1374–1388. doi: 10.1002/qj.2030
- Issue online: 22 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 24 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 FEB 2012
- 2008. The potential impacts of pollution on a nondrizzling stratus deck: does aerosol number matter more than type? J. Geophys. Res., 113: D19204, DOI: 10.1029/2007JD009445. , , , ,
- 2008. Analysis and flamelet modelling for spray combustion. J. Fluid Mech. 612: 45–79. ,
- 2010. Dynamical core of an atmospheric general circulation model on a Yin-Yang grid. Mon. Weather Rev. 138: 3988–4005. , , ,
- 2008. Selective monotonicity preservation in scalar advection. J. Comput. Phys. 227: 5160–5183. ,
- 1989. A positive advection scheme obtained by nonlinear renormalization of the advective fluxes. Mon. Weather Rev. 117: 1006–1015.
- 2000. Developing high-order weighted compact nonlinear schemes. J. Comput. Phys. 165: 22–44. ,
- 1989. Numerical experiments on the dynamics of the cloud–environment interface: small cumulus in a shear-free environment. J. Atmos. Sci. 46: 3513–3541.
- 1998. Toward cloud resolving modeling of large-scale tropical circulations: a simple cloud microphysics parameterization. J. Atmos. Sci. 55: 3283–3298.
- 2008. Toward the mitigation of spurious cloud-edge supersaturation in cloud models. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 1224–1234. ,
- 1990. Monotone finite-difference approximations to the advection–condensation problem. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 2082–2097. ,
- 2005. Mapped weighted essentially non-oscillatory schemes: achieving optimal order near critical points. J. Comput. Phys. 207: 542–567. , ,
- 2008. Subsiding shells around shallow cumulus clouds. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 1003–1018. ,
- 1996. Efficient implementation of weighted ENO schemes. J. Comput. Phys. 126: 202–228. ,
- 2000. Test of the volume-of-fluid method on simulations of marine boundary layer clouds. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 1960–1970. , , ,
- 1985. Dynamics of the cloud–environment interface and environment in small cumuli: two-dimensional simulations in the absence of ambient shear. J. Atmos. Sci. 42: 2621–2642. ,
- 2008. A multimoment finite-volume shallow-water model on Yin-Yang overset spherical grid. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 3066–3086. , , , ,
- 1997. Application of the volume-of-fluid method to the advection–condensation problem. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 2265–2273. , ,
- 2011. On the fidelity of large-eddy simulation of shallow precipitating cumulus convection. Mon. Weather Rev. 139: 2918–2939. , , , ,
- 2007. An upwind-biased conservative advection scheme for spherical hexagonal-pentagonal grids. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 4038–4044.
- 2009. Nonlinear advection algorithms applied to interrelated tracers: errors and implications for modeling aerosol–cloud interactions. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 632–644. ,
- 2005. Conservative semi-Lagrangian transport on a sphere and the impact on vapor advection in an atmospheric general circulation model. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 504–520. , , ,
- 2000. A GCSS model intercomparison for a tropical squall line observed during TOGA-COARE. I: Cloud-resolving models. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 126: 823–863. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. A smooth cloud model. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 1825–1843. ,
- 2003. A characteristic-wise hybrid compact-WENO scheme for solving hyperbolic conservation laws. J. Comput. Phys. 192: 365–386. , ,
- 1988. A theory for strong, long-lived squall lines. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 463–485. , ,
- 2006. Use of (weighted) essentially non-oscillatory advection schemes in a mesoscale model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 1509–1526. , ,
- 1989. Efficient implementation of essentially nonoscillatory shock-capturing schemes II. J. Comput. Phys. 83: 32–78. ,
- 2006. Positive-definite and monotonic limiters for unrestricted-time-step transport schemes. Mon. Weather Rev. 134: 2241–2250.
- 2009. The impact of positive-definite moisture transport on NWP precipitation forecasts. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 488–494. ,
- 1999. Comparison of several numerical schemes applied to advection equations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 213–224.
- 1996. The spurious production of cloud-edge supersaturations by Eulerian models. Mon. Weather Rev. 124: 1034–1041. , , ,
- 2005. Evaluation of large-eddy simulations via observations of nocturnal marine stratocumulus. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1443–1462. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. New microphysical schemes with five and six categories by diagnostic generation of cloud ice. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn 86A: 121–142.
- 2009. Evaluation of scalar advection schemes in the advanced research WRF model using large-eddy simulations of aerosol-cloud interactions. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 2547–2558. , ,
- 2002. Time-splitting methods for elastic models using forward time schemes. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 2088–2097. ,
- 1995. Partitioning mass, heat, and moisture budgets of explicitly simulated cumulus ensembles into convective and stratiform components. Mon. Weather Rev. 52: 551–573.
- 1979. Fully multidimensional flux-corrected transport algorithm for fluids. J. Comput. Phys. 31: 335–362.