A coupled energy transport and hydrological model for urban canopies evaluated using a wireless sensor network
Version of Record online: 30 OCT 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 139, Issue 675, pages 1643–1657, July 2013 Part B
How to Cite
Wang, Z.-H., Bou-Zeid, E. and Smith, J. A. (2013), A coupled energy transport and hydrological model for urban canopies evaluated using a wireless sensor network. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 139: 1643–1657. doi: 10.1002/qj.2032
- Issue online: 13 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2011
- 2011. Contribution to analytical and numerical study of combined heat and moisture transfer in porous building materials. Build. Environ. 46: 1354–1360. , ,
- 1999. The role of urban surfaces (permeable pavements) in regulating drainage and evaporation: development of a laboratory simulation experiment. Hydrol. Process. 13: 597–609. , ,
- ASHRAE. 2009. 2009 ASHRAE Handbook: Fundamentals, Chapter 26. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers Inc; 22 pp.
- 1992. Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley; 692 pp. ,
- 2009. The effects of building representation and clustering in large eddy simulations of flows in urban canopies. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 132(3): 415–436. , , ,
- 2010. Soil roughness, slope and surface storage relationship for impervious areas. J. Hydrol. 393: 389–400. ,
- 2005. Hydrology–An introduction. Cambridge University Press; 605 pp.
- 2009. Water vapour variability induced by urban/rural surface heterogeneities during convective conditions. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 1266–1276. , , , , , ,
- 2001. Coupling an advanced land surface-hydrology model with the Penn State-NCAR MM5 modeling system. Part I: Model implementation and sensitivity. Mon. Weather Rev. 129: 569–585. ,
- 1996. Modeling of land surface evaporation by four schemes and comparison with FIFE observations. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 101: 7251–7268. , , , , , , , ,
- 2011. The integrated WRF/Urban modeling system: development, evaluation, and applications to urban environmental problems. Int. J. Climatol. 31: 273–288. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1978. Empirical equations for some soil hydraulic properties. Water Resour. Res. 14: 601–604. ,
- 2007. Correcting Temperature Sensitivity of ECH2O Soil Moisture Sensors. Application Note #800-755-2751, Decagon Devices, Inc.: Pullman; 7 pp. , ,
- 2006. Mean flow and turbulence statistics over groups of urban-like cubical obstacles. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 121: 491–519. , , ,
- 1984. A statistical exploration of the relationships of soil moisture characteristic to the physical properties of soils. Water Resour. Res. 20: 682–690. , , ,
- 1985. A description of urban soils and their desired characteristics. J. Arboriculture 11: 330–339.
- 1996. Impact of soil water property parameterization on atmospheric boundary layer simulation. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 101: 7269–7277. , ,
- 1982. A simple parameterization of the surface fluxes of sensible and latent heat during daytime compared with the Penman–Monteith Concept. J. Appl. Meteorol. 21: 1610–1621. ,
- 2004. Simulation of meteorological fields within and above urban and rural canopies with a mesoscale model (MM5). Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 113: 111–158. , ,
- 2010. Fluid dynamics of urban atmospheres in complex terrain. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 42: 365–389.
- 2011. Sensitivity of mesoscale model urban boundary layer meteorology to the scale of urban representation. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 11: 2951–2972. ,
- 2002. Turbulent heat fluxes in urban areas: Observations and a local-scale urban meteorological parameterization scheme (LUMPS). J. Appl. Meteorol. 41: 792–810. ,
- 2010. The international urban energy balance models comparison project: first results from phase 1. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 49: 1268–1292. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2011. Initial results from phase 2 of the international urban energy balance model comparison. Int. J. Climatol. 31: 244–272. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. Intercomparisons of experimental convective heat transfer coefficients and mass transfer coefficients of urban surfaces. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 117: 551–576. , ,
- 2010. Effects of urbanization and climate change on surface runoff of the Brussels Capital Region: a case study using an urban soil–vegetation–atmosphere-transfer model. Int. J. Climatol. DOI: 10.1002/joc.2207. , ,
- 1992. Applied soil physics: Soil Water and Temperature Applications, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag; 176 pp.
- 2004. Radiative exchange in an urban street canyon. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 110: 301–316. , ,
- 1990. Sensitivity study and validation of a land surface parametrization using the HAPEX-MOBILIHY data set. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 52: 93–134. ,
- 1991. Simulation of surface urban heat islands under ‘ideal’ conditions at night, Part I: theory and tests against field data. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 56: 275–294. , , , , ,
- 2005. A simple energy balance model for regular building arrays. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 116: 423–443. , , , , ,
- 2005. Development of a multi-layer urban canopy model for the analysis of energy consumption in a big city: Structure of the urban canopy model and its basic performance. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 116: 395–421. , , , , ,
- 2007. A microscale three-dimensional urban energy balance model for studying surface temperatures. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 123: 433–461. ,
- 2001. A simple single-layer urban canopy model for atmospheric models: Comparison with multi-layer and slab models. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 101: 329–358. , , ,
- 2011. Further development of the vegetated urban canopy model including a grass-covered surface parameterization and photosynthesis effects. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 140: 315–342.
- 2008. A vegetated urban canopy model for meteorological and environmental modelling. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 126: 73–102. ,
- 2011. Impact of soil hydraulic parameter uncertainty on soil moisture modeling. Water Resour. Res. 47: W03505. , , , ,
- 2010. Trade-offs and responsiveness of the single-layer urban canopy parametrization in WRF: An offline evaluation using the MOSCEM optimization algorithm and field observations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: 997–1019. , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. An urban surface exchange parameterisation for mesoscale models. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 104: 261–304. , ,
- 1995. A modified parameterization of flux–profile relationship in the surface layer using different roughness values for heat and momentum. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 72: 331–344. , ,
- 2000. A physically-based scheme for the urban energy budget in atmospheric models. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 94: 357–397.
- 2006. Urban surface modeling and the meso-scale impact of cities. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 84: 35–45.
- 2008. Linking urban water balance and energy balance models to analyse urban design options. Hydrol. Process. 22: 2891–2900. , , ,
- 2010. Cooling effect of water-holding pavements made of new materials on water and heat budgets in urban areas. Landscape Urban Plan. 96: 57–67. ,
- 1997. Comparison of four different stomatal resistance schemes using FIFE observations. J. Appl. Meteorol. 36: 903–917. ,
- 1989. A simple parameterization of land surface processes for meteorological models. Mon. Weather Rev. 117: 536–549. ,
- 1991. Simulation of surface urban heat islands under ideal conditions at night, Part 2: diagnosis of causation. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 56: 339–358. , , ,
- 2008. An urban parameterization for a global climate model. Part I: Formulation and evaluation for two cities. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 47: 1038–1060. , , , ,
- 1932. Surface coefficients as affected by wind direction. ASHRAE Trans. 39: 33–46. ,
- 1930. Surface conductances as affected by air velocity, temperature and character of surface. ASHRAE Trans. 36: 429–446. , ,
- 2011. A review of methods for estimating anthropogenic heat and moisture emissions in the urban environment. Int. J. Climatol. 31: 189–199.
- 1988. On the Mechanism of the constant drying rate period and its relevance to diffusion controlled catalytic gas phase reactions. Chem. Eng. Sci. 43: 2685–2688.
- 2008. Drying front and water content dynamics during evaporation from sand delineated by neutron radiography. Water Resour. Res. 44: W06418. , , ,
- 1988. An Introduction to Boundary Layer Meteorology. Kluwer Academic Publishers; 670 pp.
- 1980. A closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 44: 892–898.
- 2010. Geometric effect of radiative heat exchange in concave structure with application to heating of steel I-sections in fire. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 53: 997–1003.
- 2012. A novel approach for the estimation of soil ground heat flux. Agric. Forest Meteorol. 154–155: 214–221. ,
- 2011a. A spatially-analytical scheme for surface temperatures and conductive heat fluxes in urban canopy models. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 138: 171–193. , ,
- 2011b. Analyzing the sensitivity of WRF's single-layer urban canopy model to parameter uncertainty using advanced Monte Carlo simulation. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 50: 1795–1814. , , ,
- 1997. A modified surface-resistance approach for representing bare-soil evaporation: Wind tunnel experiments under various atmospheric conditions. Water Resour. Res. 33: 2117–2128. , ,