Using operational weather radar to assess high-resolution numerical weather prediction over the British Isles for a cold air outbreak case-study
Article first published online: 21 MAR 2013
© 2013 Crown Copyright, the Met Office. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 140, Issue 678, pages 225–239, January 2014 Part A
How to Cite
McBeath, K., Field, P. R. and Cotton, R. J. (2014), Using operational weather radar to assess high-resolution numerical weather prediction over the British Isles for a cold air outbreak case-study. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 140: 225–239. doi: 10.1002/qj.2123
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 21 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2012
- 2010. Operational convective-scale numerical weather prediction with the COSMO model: Description and sensitivities. Mon. Weather Rev. 139: 3887–3905. , , , , ,
- 2011. COSP: Satellite simulation software for model assessment. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 92: 1023–1043. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. The sensitivity of large-eddy simulations of shallow cumulus convection to resolution and subgrid model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 469–482.
- 1999. Roll and cell convection in wintertime Arctic cold air outbreaks. J. Atmos. Sci. 56: 2613–2636.
- 1997. An overview of numerical methods for the next-generation UK NWP and climate model. In Numerical Methods in Atmospheric and Ocean Modelling, The André J. Robert Memorial Volume. , , . (eds). 425–444. Canad. Meteorol. Oceanogr. Soc. DOI: 10.1080/07055900.1997.9687359. , , , , ,
- 2005. A new dynamical core for the Met Office's global and regional modelling of the atmosphere. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 1759–1782. , , , , , ,
- 2008a. ‘Comparisons of radar reflectivities with synthesised observations from NWP model output’. Internal Technical Report. Met Office: Exeter, UK.
- 2008b. ‘Pre-processing of radar reflectivities for NWP’. Internal Technical Report. Met Office: Exeter, UK.
- 2010. Post-frontal shower cells in the COSMO-DE model. A comparison with radar measurements. Meteorol. Z. 20: 217–226. DOI: 10.1175/2010JTECHA1522.1. ,
- 2008. Characteristics of high-resolution versions of the Met Office Unified Model for forecasting convection over the United Kingdom. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 3408–3424. , , , , , ,
- 2000. A new boundary-layer mixing scheme. Part I: Scheme description and single-column model tests. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 3187–3199. , , , ,
- 2001a. A climatology of mesoscale convective systems over Europe using satellite infrared imagery. I: Methodology. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 1953–1971. ,
- 2001b. A climatology of mesoscale convective systems over Europe using satellite infrared imagery. II: Characteristics of European mesoscale convective systems. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 1973–1995. ,
- 2008. Statistical properties of cloud lifecycles in cloud-resolving models. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss. 8: 20537–20564.
- 2005. Cell broadening revisited: Results from high-resolution large-eddy simulations of cold air outbreaks. J. Atmos. Sci. 62: 2023–2032. , ,
- 2009. Use of high-resolution NWP rainfall and river flow forecasts for advance warning of the Carlisle flood, Northwest England. Meteorol. Appl. 16: 23–24. , , , ,
- 1989. A Short Course In Cloud Physics. Pergamon Press: Oxford, UK. ,
- 2009. Large-eddy simulations of moist convection during a cold air outbreak over the Gulf Stream. J. Atmos. Sci. 66: 1274–1293. ,
- 1990. Two major experiments in the humidity exchange over the sea (HEXOS) program. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 71: 161–172. , , ,
- 2010. African convective system characteristics determined through tracking analysis. Atmos. Res. 98: 468–477, DOI:10.1016/j.atmosres.2010.08.012. ,
- 2008a. The life cycle of convective-shower cells under post-frontal conditions. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 841–857. ,
- 2008b. Basic characteristics of post-frontal shower precipitation. Meteorol. Z. 17: 793–805. DOI: 10.1127/0941-2948/2008/0335. ,
- 2013. Improved microphysical parametrization of drizzle and fog for operational forecasting using the Met Office Unified Model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. In press. DOI: 10.1002/qj.1975. , , , , ,
- 1999. A microphysically based precipitation scheme for the UK Meteorological Office Unified Model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 1607–1636. ,