The contribution of J.C. Petch was written in the course of his employment at the Met Office, UK, and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
Notes and Correspondence
Differences in the lower troposphere in two- and three-dimensional cloud-resolving model simulations of deep convection
Article first published online: 6 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society, Crown Copyright 2008
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 134, Issue 636, pages 1941–1946, October 2008 Part A
How to Cite
Petch, J. C., Blossey, P. N. and Bretherton, C. .S. (2008), Differences in the lower troposphere in two- and three-dimensional cloud-resolving model simulations of deep convection. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 134: 1941–1946. doi: 10.1002/qj.315
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 6 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Received: 15 MAY 2008
- 2007. Cloud-resolving model simulation of KWAJEX: Model sensitivities and comparisons with satellite and radar observations. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 1488–1508. , , , .
- 1999. Three-dimensional cloud-system modeling of GATE convection. J. Atmos. Sci. 56: 1885–1912. , , .
- 2006. Daytime convective development over land: a model intercomparison based on LBA observations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 317–344. , , , , Halliwell C, , Lang S, , , , .
- 1998. Cloud-resolving modeling of cloud systems during phase III of GATE. Part II: Effects of resolution and the third spatial dimension. J. Atmos. Sci. 55: 3264–3282. , , , .
- 2003. Cloud resolving modeling of the ARM Summer 1997 IOP: Model formulation, results, uncertainties, and sensitivities. J. Atmos. Sci. 60: 607–625. , .
- 2008. A test of the simulation of tropical convective cloudiness by a cloud-resolving model. Journal of Climate Submitted. , , , , , Kubar TL.
- 2006. Sensitivity studies of developing convection in a cloud-resolving model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 345–358. .
- 2001. Sensitivity studies using a cloud-resolving model simulation of the tropical West Pacific. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 2287–2306. , .
- 2007. Modelling suppressed and active convection. Comparing a numerical weather prediction, cloud-resolving and single-column model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133: 1087–1100. , , , .
- 2006. Cloud microphysics, radiation and vertical velocities in two- and three-dimensional simulations of deep convection. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 3011–3033. , .
- 2002. The second GEWEX Cloud System Study science and implementation plan. IGPO Publication Series 34:45pp. , , , , , , Starr D, , , .
- 2003. Breaking the cloud parameterization deadlock. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 84: 1547–1564. , , , .
- 1996. Single column models and cloud ensemble models as links between observations and climate models. Journal of Climate 9: 1683–1697. , , , .
- 2003. A large eddy simulation intercomparison study of shallow cumulus convection. J. Atmos. Sci. 60: 1201–1219. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Evaluation of parametric assumptions for shallow cumulus convection. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 593–624. , .
- 1972. A first course in turbulence. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA , .
- 2000. The impact of dimensionality on long-term cloud-resolving model simulations. J. Atmos. Sci. 128: 1521–1535. .
- 2008. Modelling suppressed and active convection. Comparison between three numerical weather models. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. Accepted subject to minor revisions. , , , , .
- 2002. An intercomparison of cloud-resolving models with the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement summer 1997 intensive observation period data. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 650–666. , , , , , , , , , , , , Wang D, , , .
- 2007. Evaluating clouds in long-term cloud-resolving model simulations with observational data. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 4153–4177. , , , , , , Kumar S, Xie S, , , .