The impact of moist processes on the African easterly jet–African easterly wave system
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 135, Issue 641, pages 894–913, April 2009 Part B
How to Cite
Cornforth, R. J., Hoskins, B. J. and Thorncroft, C. D. (2009), The impact of moist processes on the African easterly jet–African easterly wave system. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 135: 894–913. doi: 10.1002/qj.414
- Issue online: 8 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 27 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUN 2008
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- NSF. Grant Number: ATM0507976
- 1980. The origin of African wave disturbances during Phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 108: 1827–1839. , .
- 1976. The mean troposphere of West Africa. J. Appl. Meteorol. 15: 705–715. , .
- 2005. Case study of an intense African Easterly Wave. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 752–766. , .
- 1986. A new convective adjustment scheme. II: Single-column tests using GATE wave, BOMEX, ATEX and arctic airmass datasets. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 112: 693–709. , .
- 1983. ‘An energetic analysis of the general atmospheric circulation’. PhD thesis. University of Reading, UK. .
- 1974. Characteristics of North African easterly waves during the summers of 1968 and 1969. J. Atmos. Sci. 31: 1556–1570. .
- 1969. Synoptic histories of three African disturbances that developed into Atlantic huricanes. Mon. Weather Rev. 97: 256–276. .
- 1993. Impact of the desert environment on the genesis of African wave disturbances. J. Atmos. Sci. 50: 2137–2145. .
- 2005. Interannual variability and predictability of African easterly waves in a GCM. Clim. Dyn. 24: 523–544. , , .
- 2001. Ocean-atmosphere-land feedbacks in an idealized monsoon. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 1869–1891. , , .
- 2004. Feedback between the land surface and rainfall at convective length scales. J. Hydrometeorol. 5: 625–639. , .
- 2005. ‘The African Easterly Jet–Easterly Wave system: Dry and moist physics’. PhD thesis. University of Reading, UK. .
- 2000. Climatology of sign reversals of the meridional potential vorticity gradient over Africa and Australia. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 3890–3900. , .
- 1999. Easterly wave regimes and associated convection over West Africa and the tropical: Results from the NCEP/NCAR and ECMWF reanalyses. Clim. Dyn. 15: 795–822. , , , , .
- 2002. Energetics of easterly wave disturbances over West Africa and the tropical Atlantic: A climatology from the 1979–95 NCEP/NCAR reanalyses. Clim. Dyn. 18: 487–500. , , , .
- 2005. Role of the Hoggar massif in the West African monsoon onset. Geophys. Res. Lett. 32: L01705. doi: 10.1029/2004GL020710. , , .
- 1990. Convection over Tropical Africa and the Atlantic Ocean during northern summer. Part II: Modulation by easterly waves. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 1855–1868. .
- 1949. Long waves and cyclone waves. Tellus 1: 33–52. .
- 1997. Barotropic aspects of ITCZ breakdown. J. Atmos. Sci. 54: 261–285. , .
- 2000. An examination of climate sensitivity for idealised climate change experiments in an intermediate general circulation model. Clim. Dyn. 16: 833–849. , , , .
- 2002. Easterly waves over Africa. Part II: Observed and modelled contrasts between wet and dry years. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 212–225. , , .
- 2006. Three-dimensional structure and dynamics of African Easterly Waves. Part II: Dynamical modes. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 2231–2245. , , .
- 1997. Distribution and statistics of African mesoscale convective weather systems based on the ISCCP Meteosat imagery. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 2821–2837. , .
- 1975. A multi-layer spectral model and the semi-implicit method. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 101: 637–655. , .
- 2005. Generation of African Easterly Wave disturbances: Relationship to the African Easterly Jet. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1311–1327. , .
- 2007. A study of the energetics of African Easterly Waves using a regional climate model. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 421–440. , .
- 2008. On the instability of the African Easterly Jet and the generation of African waves: Reversals of the potential vorticity gradient. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 2130–2151. , .
- 1988. Analysis and numerical simulations of the Saharan air layer and its effect on easterly wave disturbances. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 3102–3136. , .
- 1989. A re-examination of the genesis of African waves. J. Atmos. Sci. 46: 3621–3631. .
- 1992. The strong association between Western Sahel monsoon rainfall and intense Atlantic hurricanes. J. Climate 5: 435–453. , .
- 1988. Hadley circulations for zonally averaged heating centered off the equator. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 2417–2427. , .
- 1979. A linear primitive equation model of African wave disturbances. J. Atmos. Sci. 36: 2075–2092. .
- 2004. Intraseasonal variability over tropical Africa during northern summer. J. Climate. 17: 2427–2440. .
- 2006. Analysis of convection and its association with African Easterly Waves. J. Climate 19: 5405–5421. , , .
- 2000. A standard test for AGCMs including their physical parametrizations. I: The proposal. Atmos. Sci. Lett. 1: 101–107. doi:10.1006/asle.2000.0019. , .
- 1984. African mean wind changes between Sahelian wet and dry periods. Int. J. Climatol. 4: 27–33. , .
- 1977. The energetics of African Wave Disturbances as observed during phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 334–342. , , .
- 2005. Analysis of the African Easterly Jet using aircraft observations from the JET2000 experiment. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 419–467. , , , .
- 2007. An idealized two-dimensional framework to study the West African monsoon. Part 1: Validation and key controlling factors. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 2765–2782. , , .
- 1999. ‘African Easterly Waves and their transformation into tropical cyclones in the North Atlantic’. PhD thesis. University of Reading, UK. .
- 1999. The low-level structure of African easterly waves in 1995. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 2266–2280. , .
- 1999. The dynamics of heat lows. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 225–252. , .
- 2006. African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis: An international research project and field campaign. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 1739–1746. , , , , , .
- 1977. The structure and properties of African wave disturbances as observed during Phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 317–333. , , .
- 1976. The generation of African waves. J. Atmos. Sci. 33: 1955–1969. .
- 1996. Monsoons and the dynamics of deserts. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 122: 1385–1404. , .
- 1991. Energetics of African wave disturbances derived from the FSU Global Spectral Model. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 45: 139–158. .
- 2008. Diagnostic measures for assessing numerical forecasts of African Easterly Waves. Meteorol. Zeitschrift 17: 209–220. , .
- 1991. Potential vorticity modelling of the ITCZ and the Hadley circulation. J. Atmos. Sci. 48: 1493–1500. , , , .
- 1977. A note on the instability of the African easterly jet. J. Atmos. Sci. 34: 1670–1674. .
- 1977. A note on the wavelength of maximum growth-rate for baroclinic instability. J. Atmos. Sci. 34: 1477–1478. , .
- 1980. Barotropic influences on the growth and decay of nonlinear baroclinic waves. J. Atmos. Sci. 37: 1679–1684. , .
- 1996. Interannual tropical rainfall variability in general circulation model simulations associated with the Atmospheric Model Intercomparison Project. J. Climate 9: 2727–2750. , .
- 2003. The West African monsoon dynamics. Part I: Documentation of intraseasonal variability. J. Climate 16: 3389–3406. , , .
- 2008. Intraseasonal land–atmosphere coupling in the West African monsoon. J. Climate 21: 6636–6648. .
- 2004. Observations of synoptic-scale variability and coupling within the atmosphere. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 913–937. , , , .
- 1995. An idealised study of African easterly waves. III: More realistic basic states. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 121: 1589–1614. .
- 1999. Maintenance of the African Easterly Jet. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 763–786. , .
- 2001. African easterly wave variability and its relationship to Atlantic tropical cyclone activity. J. Climate 14: 1166–1179. , .
- 1994a. An idealised study of African Easterly Waves. I: A linear view. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 953–982. , .
- 1994b. An idealised study of African Easterly Waves. II: A nonlinear view. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 983–1015. , .
- 2003. The JET2000 experiment: Aircraft observations of the African easterly jet and African easterly waves. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 84: 337–351. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Three-dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part III: Genesis. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 3596–3607. , , .
- 1998. Diagnosis and short-lead-time prediction of summer rainfall in tropical North Africa at interannual and multidecadel time-scales. J. Climate 11: 3167–3191. .
- 1999. Convectively coupled equatorial waves: Analysis of clouds and temperature in the wavenumber–frequency domain. J. Atmos. Sci. 56: 374–399. , .
- 1997. The response to deforestation and desertification in a model of West African monsoons. Geophys. Res. Lett. 24: 155–158. , .